Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 04-18-2012, 04:56 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Default Breed specific obedience class

Would you be interested in one? What benefits do you see? Cons?

A trainer at my work is looking to add a "Doberman obedience" class even though we offer several obed classes.

I have heard of a pit bull obed class geared to reaching pit bull owners in need but this is new and interesting.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:07 PM
Fishies!

Dobe? Nah, besides not having one, they're not so popular here.

Maybe a class for hounds and nordic dogs though. That way the owners can train at their pace without the BC or Lab next to them acting like a showoff. A beagle or husky is just going to learn at a different pace, and maybe in a different way that some of the herding and sporting dogs.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:10 PM
overdogged

I can see the Pit Ed classes because you're trying to reach a specific group of owners, but otherwise, I don't see the need. But hey, if there's interest, why not?
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 04-18-2012, 05:14 PM
Twin 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyfalcon View Post
Dobe? Nah, besides not having one, they're not so popular here.

Maybe a class for hounds and nordic dogs though. That way the owners can train at their pace without the BC or Lab next to them acting like a showoff. A beagle or husky is just going to learn at a different pace, and maybe in a different way that some of the herding and sporting dogs.
I like that idea a lot, they're going to learn different and slower and would be better for people's confidence if they didn't have the super lightning fast BC next to them or the class advancing to fast for them.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:16 PM
Top Dog

It's because those Dobermans have small skulls and ever growing brains, so they take a different approach than other dogs

Are they that popular there? I just don't see many any more at all. I think finding niche markets are they key to small businesses, but I wonder about the size of the niche?
Old 04-18-2012, 05:18 PM
Top Dog

I wouldn't. I mean, I guess it'd be cool to see a whole bunch of dogs of the same breed as mine in one place and maybe get to know other owners of the same breed, but part of the reason I like dog class is that it exposes my dog to other dogs of all shapes and sizes. Plus, I don't see how I would really benefit from having a breed specific class. I don't use breed specific training techniques on my dogs and don't have a need to. I change things up a bit here and there based on individual temperaments/trainability, but it has nothing to do with breed. Both of my Dobermans inparticular are night and day compared to one another, so I don't think taking a "Doberman class" would benefit them or me overall.

Ripley
Keira (Very much missed 2007-2014)
Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN
Old 04-18-2012, 05:18 PM
Resident fainting goat

Pros?
I guess would be that the trainer would be very familiar (I suppose) with breed specific personality traits and what drives that breed and what kind of training methods seem to work (aka: A class full of border collies might avoid very repetitive exercises, a class full of labs might use more food rewards lol etc..)

You could avoid (especially for agility and such) changing jump heights and such, all dogs will be around the same size.

All handlers will be knowledgable on the breed.. which is a good support system of understanding people. AKA: People who won't gape because your male dobe doesn't like other males or something

Cons?
A bit limiting obviously, only people with that breed can join which would mean less people in the class

The kind of drama that tends to unfold when people who love the same breed all get their dogs together to compete lol I feel like certain breed people are clannish and HOLIER THAN THOU enough (If it's not a _____, It's just a dog... kind of mentality) without giving them an exclusive training club.
I would fear for handlers in the other classes that would have to interact with these people honestly lol

not to mention the "my horse is bigger than your horse" complex that arrises around that kind of gathering..also see: My breeder is better than your breeder lol

Personally? not my cup of tea. I enjoy the socialization with all kinds of other breeds. Plus I love talking to all kinds of owners about their chosen breed and their dogs..

and I have seen things get ugly in the past with that kind of set-up. The training club in FL used to have a Border Collie only class and just.. ick.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:24 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

I would love a corgi obed class! Snarkiest class EVER!

Like mentioned above, I think a non herding/working beginner obedience or manners class would be awesome, and not so de-motivational for people when their dogs don't respond or catch on as quickly as the border collies or GSD in the class.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:26 PM
Top Dog

I can see it teaching a dog to focus despite being several just like it right there. I know when Logan sees a collie (or a sheltie) he's all OH LOOOOK! A COLLIE! I MUST SAY HAI!!1!11! so it would help in that department.

(Really, he's not that bad, but you can see he reallllyyyyyy wants to go lol)

Quote:
You could avoid (especially for agility and such) changing jump heights and such, all dogs will be around the same size.
Not necessarily...
Old 04-18-2012, 05:37 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWCorgi View Post
I would love a corgi obed class! Snarkiest class EVER!

Um, yeah, we had a corgi named Nevile LongBottom in our puppy class once and OMG he was just a rotten brat. He had to stay on leash during play time. So, so cute though, by far my favorite client dog.

We do have a huge doberman community here. Like, insanely large. We have several breeders and tons of them. Prior to working here I didn't think dobes were very common here but now I see differently. Every Friday our bootcamp has at least 6-8 dobes and in every class I take I see at least 2, also I have two in my intro to agility class and I only have 4 dogs in it. So, yes, there is probably the demand but I have noticed a huge difference between the Winsar (sp?) and other local show breed dobes and the "outsider" sport/work bred dobes, both can be stubborn but holy drive, size, and intensity difference.

I have a boy in my Intro class that is just a force of nature and I feel awful for the poor owner, they'll get there because she's determined but he's a lot of dog and there are moments even I am caught off guard with his ability to go from pulling like an ox to spinning a full 360 in the air and muzzle punching my eye before I know he's even stopped pulling.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.