Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 04-13-2012, 11:03 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

Practically every day with Knox lately. He's back in bootcamp until he remembers I exist and he must answer to me.
Old 04-17-2012, 02:17 PM
Puppy Dog

Ohhhh no. You're definitely not the only one. I remember one class where Dahlia looked at the weave poles like she'd never ever seen them before in her life and had no idea what to do.

And then there was the fun match we went to where she refused to get up on the A-Frame and Dog walk, was disastrously slow, I was tripping all over myself trying to figure out what the heck to do. And someone said "Well, maybe she'd make a good therapy dog." Oh boy was THAT embarrassing!
Old 04-17-2012, 02:38 PM
Top Dog

Of course! The tough thing is to remember not to take it personally.

Last week I had Pan out to do some jump grids and she was a fool. She was crashing jumps, running around jumps, totally not herself. I took a break (I was getting frustrated) then went back in a bit and ended our training with simple One Jump work to let her be successful.

Later that night I realized she had gone into heat, lol. I've been giving her a break since and hopefully she'll be back to her old self next time we go out.

She also acted like a nut a few weeks ago in our foundations class. I guess I had been getting too cocky and needed my ego put in check, lol! The instructor didn't believe me when I told her that Pan has people issues because she had been working amazingly well beside strangers. Then the stars aligned, and an exercise we were doing had us walking right toward the special needs helper guy. Pan looked away from me momentarily, he was just a few feet ahead of her making direct eye contact, and she exploded into her nasty want-to-kill bark and lunge. Thankfully she recovered well and was able to work around him again, but yeah, dogs like to embarrass us as often as they can.
Old 04-17-2012, 02:51 PM
Top Dog

Yes!! Worst one was at a Stacy Goudy seminar last fall. I was an idiot, Zuma caught on to my idiotness and was a nutterbutter all in front of Stacy, my boss, every other trainer at the center, my students and pretty everyone else on the planet. Luckily, I composed myself to get a couple good runs in by the end, but that was horrid.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:52 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Oh there was also the time that Kim decided she had had quite enough rally trialing for one day so she followed a perfect score run with picking up on of the rally signs and chucking it across the ring.

Or the time Mira body-slammed me in Open JWW for running like a fool. Hit me so hard I had bruises on my ribs the next morning lol. Buuut I got the message and remembered that running conservatively with Princess Cheeseface is a bad idea...

Oh and the competitive fun match where the chute fluffer came out at a dumb time to straighten the chust right as we ran by the other way and Kim shot UP the chute...

And these are just in-competition examples...I don't even count the training ones anymore...

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 04-17-2012, 03:53 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Really my point is just that anyone who has competed often enough, especially in a sport like agility, has had some crazy stuff happen. Just part of the same. And instructors worth their salt know this and has probably experienced it firsthand. Hitting bizarre bumps or struggling as a team is expected. It's how you handle those inevitabilities that will affect the opinions of those who matter.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13

Last edited by Shai; 04-17-2012 at 04:05 PM.
Old 04-17-2012, 04:02 PM
Top Dog

Zander's been full of himself the last few days. Running from me, not listening, yelling at me, not sitting still during grooming time(his fave time of the day) just being an over all brat. I'm blaming it on the weather, since we've had a nice few weeks here. Warm weather has a habit of making everyone feel a little full of themselves. Lol. He's gone back to square one with me, and is no longer trustworthy with anything. He's 7 years old, and you would think this was routine by now. But, nope. I guess not. He likes keeping me on my toes every now and then.

And wouldn't you know, just last week he was learning anything and everything I threw at him like it was cake. Breaks are good.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:53 PM
Let it be

All the time. I usually am so calm. NOT LATELY. Everything goes wrong and I just need to talk a break so its fun agin.