Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 03-17-2012, 10:26 AM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
You guys think raw would be okay? He has BAD problems on most kibbles. Like I said, duck and salmon seems to work for him. Is it okay to only feed him premade with those proteins?

He is very hyper naturally and very active. He didn't get any kind of off switch till he was about 4 years old. Despite being a beach ball with legs right now, he still is eager to play and go walking. He absolutely loves playing rough.
Depends on how bad you mean. Kim does great on raw even though most kibbles cause issues for her (a few are tolerable but I wouldn't say she really thrives on them). But in raw form I can give her just about every ingredient in a problematic kibble and she's fine. I think it's something about the processing? But if there are certain proteins you know Beau is directly allergic to in a bad way then that's another issue...with Kim she acts fine other than being a bit itchy so I'm able to play around and figure out what works for her without doing any real harm.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 03-17-2012, 10:27 AM
Just try me..

I would try the raw in what he can handle. Having fat or even just squishy fosters come in, I have found raw to be the best at getting them to look good. And since you feed your other two raw anyway...
Old 03-17-2012, 10:34 AM
I'm All Ears

He has the runs almost constantly on most kibbles. Even after a transition period, he'd just have a blow out quite often and then (ew) and it was constantly trying to clean him up. He was having trouble a few times a week.

I've never tried raw with him but his handler used raw with him when she was showing him. He looked great on it and very muscular. I've found Summer and Mia keep at a better weight on raw than even high grade kibble so that would be my ideal. But it might not be okay if I don't get the okay to keep him here all the time. I'm not sure they would give him raw since it's more work. Maybe if I bagged it up and set it out for them?

Cross your fingers for a permanent move for him!
Old 03-17-2012, 11:32 AM
Twin 2.0

I think I'd go raw, since you already know he does well on it. Also, raw chicken seems to be tolerated better than chicken based kibbles for whatever reason.
Old 03-17-2012, 11:36 AM
Top Dog

I think it is the processing of the meats that causes issues. Zander has chicken kibble issues, but eats raw chicken just fine. He has similar issues with dairy. And even green beans. Canned green beans? It's coming back up. Frozen? Just fine. It seems to be that way with most dogs.
Old 03-17-2012, 11:40 AM
such sights to show you

I am a huge marshmallow about most things, but one thing I am cold as ice about is feeding my dogs. It will be hard for him to go to free choice/on demand/multiple feeders, but he'll live.

Regarding the raw, I would really encourage you to try it for him. I am not a "raw cures everything" kinda person but some dogs clearly do better on it. Squash is one of those dogs who has always had kind of mushy stools. I've tried many different kibbles and too many other things to list. But transitioning him to about 50% raw has done wonders for his stools, and it's my understanding that TWAB has changed Shammy (Squash's brother for those who don't know) to mostly raw for the same reason with the same results.

Personally I use the pre-made varieties like Primal and Nature's Variety as well as a small local brand/company because I am lazy and don't like to futz with food all that much.

Old 04-18-2012, 07:43 AM
Top Dog

I think with his allergies and weight,raw is the way,to go!.
Lower the amount of food,up the exercise and he should get there,in no time.
If hungry,you can add green beans.
As for exercise,I would push the swimming as it's gentle on the bones and slowly,bring up the exercise so that he doesn't get sore.
Papillon are naturally active so that shouldn't be a problem + the other 2 will keep him,active.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:40 PM
Top Dog

You get my vote as well for the raw. Either way, try adding, green beans to his diet as a filler if he starts to stress about the lack of food.

I would recommend mulitple short sessions of exercise a day, avoid hill work and be careful with balance disks. Very short sessions (1 minute) until he has some conditioning on him, easy to strain something in the beginning. As much free time off leash playing with others dogs will be a huge benefit.

If other ppl are feeding him, make up his meals in baggies, marked AM and PM, this is a great way to ensure that he isn't over fed by several ppl. And you will know how much he is getting. If I have an animal on a strict diet, then I make up the food and have it ready to serve and lock up the rest.
Having managed large horse farms for many years taught me that ppl just don't understand (or care) that giving too much or too little isn't great when it happens all the time. What is a cup of food to one person is half a cup to another and 2 cups to the next lmao.

If I am doing a lot of training and using food rewards, I will count each and every kibble and rewards into even numbers and split it over the multiple training sessions.