Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 04-18-2012, 01:21 PM
Resident fainting goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWCorgi View Post
This is the trainer I've been telling you about:

http://raisingk9.blogspot.com/

I suggest reading through the tabs she has (Puppy Rules, Experiences, Socialization Ideas, etc.), there's some great stuff in there. Not all of it is original to her, but I like that it's all in one place!
Thanks! That site is awesome!!

Disclaimer: I work for Trupanion and love it/our policy! But I do not speak for the company or as the company.
Old 04-18-2012, 02:00 PM
Twin 2

Ok, not a resource but I just wanted to say Fran, enjoy the puppyness.

Sometimes it's so easy to get caught up in soicializing for this, exposing to this, training for this, "ohmygod the puppy is 4 months old and doesn't know how to stand!" that actually flat out bonding and just enjoying the dog can get pushed to the side. I'm not saying you will, I just pretty much wanted to put it out there. Everyone makes all these plans for what they are going to do with the puppy and this and that and to be honest, no puppy or person is going to live up to that.

So I guess what I'm saying is to have fun, not stress over everything, take walks, try to expose the puppy to things through just being rather than structured socialization. I really think with dogs, especially quirky herding breeds you can get yourself in trouble by being too structured, too anal about things because they pick up on emotions or oddness so easily that it can backfire.

For the first two years of Traveler's life we played. Yes, we trained and I did stuff but overall we just played, had fun and learned about each other and I think we're both better for it.

Ok, lecture mode over and sorry for it!

I haven't read it yet but Controlled Unleashed for Puppies is supposed to be awesome, don't know if it was suggested yet
Old 04-18-2012, 02:36 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linds View Post
I really think with dogs, especially quirky herding breeds you can get yourself in trouble by being too structured, too anal about things because they pick up on emotions or oddness so easily that it can backfire.
THIS. You've gotten great advice, so I just want to emphasize this. If the pup gets spooked, gets weird, decides someone/something is scary - DO NOT MAKE IT A "THING". Do not begin elaborate desensitization protocols. Just keep getting them out and about, make interactions casual and fun.

Keeva went through a really noticeable fear period that she has just now come out of (so I'd say 7-10 mo) that was all about the environment. Big pet stores were scaaaaary, big, weird objects were scaaaaaary. I was all freaked out, and convinced she could never do agility because she would be afraid of the equipment. I went to some trusted people for advice, and Aleron told me, "Just don't be weird about it, she'll be fine."

Well, last week we went a massive training club with 8 rings running at once inside a big, echoey fair grounds - a seriously intense environment. Keeva acted like she'd been there 1000 times.

But if you push them, if you make it a ritual that they have reason to be anxious about... You only solidify the scary. Remember that herding breeds know what you're up to before you do, so you can't trick them into liking something - you only let them come to their own conclusions.

Like Lindsey said, socialization is just about letting them figure it out. Set them up to have positive experiences and don't freak out if something goes a little haywire. And ENJOY YOUR PUPPY.

Old 04-18-2012, 02:50 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
For the first two years of Traveler's life we played. Yes, we trained and I did stuff but overall we just played, had fun and learned about each other and I think we're both better for it.
Super duper advice!

I made the too serious mistake with Panzer when she was young. We went training all over the place for FR, and I tried way too hard to work with her people issues. The FR people weren't used to pups like her, and while I give them credit for trying to help us, it was too much too fast and it made her worse.

When I finally gave it all up I did no training for a few weeks and just let her be a pup with no expectations. When we went back to training with a "just for fun" attitude it was way better and more fun for both of us!
Old 04-18-2012, 03:09 PM
Top Dog

Quote:

I haven't read it yet but Controlled Unleashed for Puppies is supposed to be awesome, don't know if it was suggested yet
This is what I did with Kastle (Eden I got as a young adult). Well, actually, we trained every day almost, sometimes twice a day - but it was all play to him. Lots of food (his breakfast and dinner) and treats and toys. He chased me and jumped up and spun around and barked - that's how I taught him a recall, his release word and how to get into basic position - he has no idea that was "training". I do the same thing with my young adult Corgi, all fun and games and she learns faster and faster each time. With my GSD, I am starting his SchH training so I did add some pressure as he got older and I knew he could handle it, but when he was young it was alllll fun. He's going through a brain-idiot stage right now so I'm back to fun-fun stuff to keep him animated and *with* me instead of fighting for his focus. I also did a lot of body awareness stuff which I find puppies are usually really stimulated by and gives them confidence - teaches them to be powerful and agile. If you click Kastle's name (or Eden's for adult stuff), you can go back to when I first got him in his blog and see the sorts of things we did. All fun

I've heard WONDERFUL things about that book too. I have the original and just got the puppy version - dying to read it before my new pup comes home...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily View Post
THIS. You've gotten great advice, so I just want to emphasize this. If the pup gets spooked, gets weird, decides someone/something is scary - DO NOT MAKE IT A "THING". Do not begin elaborate desensitization protocols. Just keep getting them out and about, make interactions casual and fun.

But if you push them, if you make it a ritual that they have reason to be anxious about... You only solidify the scary. Remember that herding breeds know what you're up to before you do, so you can't trick them into liking something - you only let them come to their own conclusions.

Like Lindsey said, socialization is just about letting them figure it out. Set them up to have positive experiences and don't freak out if something goes a little haywire. And ENJOY YOUR PUPPY.
Another excellent post and I whole-heartedly agree!
Old 04-18-2012, 08:02 PM
I'm All Ears

Mia was a pretty rough pup. She chewed a lot, was really really loud and had some interesting quirks come up. I am just now starting to realize that Mia's all grown up and is a pretty easy dog these days.

Mia had a couple fear periods and one period where she decided that she should obsessively chase her tail that I stressed a little about. She grew out of them and is a very well rounded dog now. My basic puppy raising method is just to have fun and let the dog be a dog all the while teaching the dog what you want from them in a fun way. Less about strict regimens and more about letting the dog have plenty of guidance and direction and experience.

I definitely agree about keeping things casual and fun. I have never read a puppy book or done anything super serious with a pup before and so far so good.

I still am a little scared thinking of the next pup, but in the end, I love raising puppies. It's so much fun.