Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-15-2012, 05:18 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegy View Post
I don't mind Steve being called a "sporter collie" (and call him that myself) as long as it's not being used as an insult. I really don't have much to do with the hardcore non-sporting Border Collie people because my dog is immediately judged as bad because he didn't come from a ranch and he is merle. (Only "color breeders" breed merle dogs, don't you know?)
That farm bred BC I mentioned in a previous post? His sire is merle and he's definitely not from a sport or color breeder. Most of his puppies are sold to other farmers looking for dogs who get the job done and his dogs have an excellent reputation in that crowd. I'm sure he's not the only farmer out there who has dogs that aren't B&W or R&W (maybe...that is iffy for many too LOL). So that argument has always seemed strange to me. Although the people making it tend to be people who think the only true working BCs are the ones that are trialed. They don't seem consider a farmer with herding BCs to be breeding true working BCs, which also strikes me as a bit odd.