Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 04-14-2012, 03:19 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBanker View Post

I wonder how many of those who write off sport mixes as too crazy and high drive to survive in a home environment actually see these dogs outside of sports? Because, for those who don't participate in such events, you should know the handlers are often *creating* that OMGOMGGOGOGO attitude at the time.
This is a really good point. People who see Ziggy not-so patiently waiting his turn, running agility like a mad man or barking non-stop during flyball could easily assume he'd not be the sort of dog they'd want to live with. But he's a very easy pet dog at home when nothing is going on. He lays around, goes outside and walks around the yard, is totally trustworthy loose in the house for any amount of time, etc. I'm not saying he was automatically like that - he came to us with no training and some overstimulation related issues that ended him up in the shelter. But he wasn't hard to teach house manners to either. Impulse control in exciting circumstances such as agility or fkyball or hiking OTOH will require life long maintenance People seeing Whim at lure coursing dragging me down a hill after the lure or screaming and pulling hard while watching fast dogs run agility might assume she's a "bad pet". But she's a super easy house dog too - very lazy when nothing is going on but very on the moment she is needed to be. She was automatically like that, as is her uncle Jagger. I can certainly appreciate easy on/off dogs, very convenient for work or pet

Savvy OTOH is not such a dog but that's ok with me too. I knew PyrSheps were hyper when I decided to get one. Hyperness is part of their charm for people who like the breed. I don't think he's a bad pet at all, I find him endlessly entertaining and think his wild, over excitable nature endearing. And he's sweet, smart and very devoted. For me, he's worth the extra work it is to keep him happy and relatively sane in the house.
Old 04-14-2012, 03:35 PM
...ice road...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBanker View Post
I wonder how many of those who write off sport mixes as too crazy and high drive to survive in a home environment actually see these dogs outside of sports? Because, for those who don't participate in such events, you should know the handlers are often *creating* that OMGOMGGOGOGO attitude at the time.

I just wanted to respond to this, even though the dog I'm going to talk about isn't a sport mix...

I've had people at lure coursing tell me my AmStaff bitch is BEYOND anything they'd EVER want to live with, as she's screaming and clawing at her face because she wants her muzzle off to kill the lure (she doesn't have a problem with the muzzle, she has a problem with not being able to kill the lure lol)... they look utterly confused and astounded when I tell them this screaming, psychotic banshee does **NOTHING** but sun bathe at home. LITERALLY NOTHING. She's the laziest dog I've EVER MET! It is ONLY when you put a lure or live game in front of her that she acts like a crazed serial killer.

So, in conclusion... Yes, I think many people judge sport mixes simply based on what they see in flyball videos of screaming, hyper dogs and think the dogs must run laps constantly at home and never settle. I DO know someone with two sport mixes (borderstaffs) who are insane and NEVER shut off... but they're the only two I've ever heard of/seen that are like that, out of all the sport mixes I've encountered. With the exception of Alaskans and Eurohounds, because I don't know anyone who keeps their teams in "pet" environments. But I do know an individual Alaskan that is kept as a pet when she isn't racing, and she's a doll.

Old 04-14-2012, 04:40 PM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teal View Post
But I do know an individual Alaskan that is kept as a pet when she isn't racing, and she's a doll.
For what it's worth, my sister lived in Fairbanks for quite a while and all their family's dogs were Alaskans. Darkness was a wheeldog, and Shadow was a retired lead dog. They were both excellent lay around the house type companions and great with the kids. Darkness did an awesome job protecting the yard from moose.