Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Pictures and Pet Photos

Old 04-13-2012, 11:26 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taqroy View Post
I do this with my dogs all the time. I'm so focused on what they're doing wrong, I fail to notice what they're doing right. It's hard. FWIW I think he did pretty good.

O_o This seems like a really negative thing to tell someone that's working with their dog. I get that the sporting world is different and maybe this is just my perspective from outside of it but...wow.
I've actually tried to shift how I record keep with my dogs for the very same reason. With Auggie it's easier for me to say "this is what went wrong" and harder to look at what went right; with Payton, since he's still a baby, it's easier to say "OMG, he did this right!" and I don't worry so much about what went wrong because he gets the excuse of "he's still a baby." I feel it colours how I look at each training session with the dogs - more negative with Auggie - and it's bad and I need to stop.

As to the latter... you would be surprised at how many sports people view dogs as disposable. If it's not magic and doesn't click right away, if you come up on a challenge, whatever... get rid of that dog, get a new one. And there's always the old standby of "Why don't you just get a border collie?" Ugh.
I've been told repeatedly to replace Auggie, by total strangers even. And I'm sure people will think Payton is Auggie's "replacement."
There's a good reason I mostly keep to myself at trials and it's because people are nasty little ($&(@es about people and their dogs.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie OA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 04-13-2012, 11:29 AM
Glutton for Crazy

In their defense he is a hard dog to deal with but yeah, it doesn't help our relationship at all.

I really can't say enough how much I appreciate the warm reaction from this forum about this. It means a lot that we're actually not as atrocious as we feel. LOL You should have seen me profusely apologizing to the trainer (I've never taken an agility class from her) and telling her I'll leave if she wants, I understand we're a mess and may be below her help. Haha, but, I think we made progress in just that short session.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:34 AM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
"Why don't you just get a border collie?" Ugh.

Omg. This.

I swear the gal I did some privates with was so annoyed and it was like pulling teeth to ask her to humor me with a private because I have a malinois. She bluntly told me at one point to just get a border collie [if I want to go anywhere in this sport]. Sucks.

Daisy Peel wasn't much better, she tolerated and said certain things like "being a mal isn't an excuse to not do A,B,C" but she still looked down on the non-border collie-ness of these dogs.

Last Kim Terrell did help recently, she gave me some solid advice that we've been trying to follow and it seems to be helping some. She also said she really did like him, I was stupid to get rid of him, most of these trainers don't understand sch line bred dogs, and if I decide at some point I don't love him I should call her to buy him.

Things are looking up I suppose. (Watch, seriously in two days I'll be upset and begging you guys to take him again)
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:51 AM
Twin 2

Add me to the list that was expecting much worse!! I know very little but he sure looks like he's trying and doing pretty good! And you can tell you've just put so much work into him. I'm hope you keep on working and find that formula for working with him that you are looking for!

And I know it's not the same but it's been a constant fight with Traveler to let me get close to him when he's in drive or working. Spent many a training session with him getting him to let me touch him while he was in work mode. I'm now working on him coming behind my legs with his toys because otherwise he drops them and then dances away in circles.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:54 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
Omg. This.
Wow, I surprised you've received such negativity from agility trainers. I love how some people think getting a BC will make everyone automatic agility stars.

Next month I'm planning on driving 5 hours (each way, lol) to take some privates with an amazing trainer. She's been on our world team numerous times....and not with Border Collies! I trained with her briefly before Solo was injured and she is amazing. I'm super excited.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:54 AM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

If someone told me to get rid of Frodo I would probably have a complete meltdown. That's so MEAN!

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
2 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi
Old 04-13-2012, 12:02 PM
Top Dog

That is why I love where I teach and train. I was doing agility with danes and never once was told to get a different breed (I was told I had to start trialing if I wanted a job which led me to find Zuma). The owner runs rotts as well as border collies. We have plenty of border collies but the majority of our students run different breeds and a lot of them are very untraditional breeds like basenjis, french bulldogs, leonbergers and the like.

If I ever heard one of our trainers tell someone that they needed to get a different breed of dog to get serious about the sport I would lose SO much respect for that trainer.

Taboo, Zuma, Mighty Mouse, Zinga, Edgar, Zip Tie
Old 04-13-2012, 02:01 PM
It's A Red Dog Revolution

I was reading your post in the Agility Training thread, and while I don't have any advice since I'm still new at all of this myself, I think you guys look nice!!! Heck, I've been training with a non-traditional breed (like SUPER non-traditional) for a year and we're still so iffy on a lot of stuff. Mostly getting her to work near me (independent breed is independent!)

I've also had people not really TELL me, but hint to me, that if I want to succeed in the sport and begin working as an agility trainer, that I need another breed. Heck, I got the WEIRDEST looks from people when I went to Rally trials with Kimma! The one judge even commented about how they, "aren't a breed you see competing in much of anything," but after we Qd under her twice (two different weekends), she and the other judge found me and said that they expect to see us again soon for Rally Advanced or Obedience LOL.

I've thought about trying another breed, too, but I just don't feel that I "click" with other breeds I've spent time with. So why would I give up the things that I do love about my breed just because it takes a bit extra work and it is abnormal to compete with them, KWIM?

That being said, I think you just keep working with Backup and all of his "issues" and you guys will be awesome. He DOES look like he enjoys the game, so that's good in and of itself!!!!

And a bit OT, but do you guys find that private classes really help?

Thanks meepitsmeagan for the siggy!

Loistava Kennels and Red Fox Dog Training
Boundless Pawsibilities

Loistava's Jari CGC - 22 months old (M)
Loistava's Kimma RN AX AXJ RATN CGC - 4 years old (F)
AOM CH Finkkila's Kupla ("Bubbles") - 5 years old (F)
CH Finkkila's Pentti ThD CGC TDIA - 7 years old (M)