Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 04-12-2012, 07:53 AM
Puppy Dog

I thought I'd drop in here as I'm also training in agility and LOVE it. We started in June 2010 and it's been a slow progression for us for a couple reasons. The main one is we don't have a yard and so I don't get to train at home very often. I own a few jumps and a tunnel and sometimes pack it all up to take to the park but it's such a pain! But I also have (had?) the slowest, most mellow dog. Seriously, our video at our first CPE trial (last November) was embarrassing. We did manage to get one Q, but oh GOSH were we slow. She sort of trotted along through the course.

Since then we've been speeding up and getting more and more accurate. I'm amazed at the energy and drive she seems to have suddenly developed. I spent over a year waiting for my dog to catch up to me and now I'm having to keep up with HER! I really need to get a video sometime just to see what she looks like when she's on fire (for her at least!).

Her major trial issue has been contacts. She's brilliant on them in class, but balks at trials. We've been working on hard the past few months to get her even better on them in class. We go go our third CPE trial next Saturday and I'm nervous already!

I've been enjoying everyone's videos here! It's good to see some other folks and where they are in their training.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:42 AM
Glutton for Crazy

I've started using the slant weaves for Backup. He's starting to figure them out and doesn't seem as panicked with them. In only a few sessions they're almost closed where as his 2x2s were stuck at the "can still clear in a really tight straight line" point since, oh, um, November. 0_o

He's still an insanely frustrating dog to work with but we're making progress slowly. I have thrown all toys out the window and am working him with food only. He's got to stay in the lowest drive possible, he's never cared much for food, in an effort to slightly slow his feet and more importantly his brain.

We're getting to short simple sequences and I'm seeing some progress with his jumping style.

I'm finding he works much, much more comfortably away from me and he's still frantic in some ground work when asked to come in close on my right.

He has always had space/touch issues but I think they get worse with age and we're just going to figure out new ways to work with them in agility. Attempts to desensitize or ease his anxiety about it seem to just compound the issues. Has anyone else worked with a dog like this before?
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:52 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by crysania View Post
But I also have (had?) the slowest, most mellow dog.
Have you checked out Silvia Trkman's Speed and Conditioning DVD? http://www.lolabuland.com/training-v...dconditioning/

I haven't seen it but others here love it, and I really like her training and attitude towards agility. She also has a lot of free articles and information on her website.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:15 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
He has always had space/touch issues but I think they get worse with age and we're just going to figure out new ways to work with them in agility. Attempts to desensitize or ease his anxiety about it seem to just compound the issues. Has anyone else worked with a dog like this before?
Are the touch issues only in agility or all the time? I'm assuming you've tried the collar grab game and similar things to counter condition it. I had a similar issue with Pan. In the horrible puppy obedience class that we took (I honestly don't know why I went there, only stayed for 2 classes), we were "teaching" the stand by physically manipulating them into it and Pan snarled and bit me, lol.

I started doing a lot of work with the collar grab game, and even though she wasn't really food motivated either, it payed off after weeks of doing it. I also found that teaching her to jump into my arms helped, by turning getting man-handled into a game.

For coming in close on your right, what if you taught it away from agility, just reinforcing for being there or even luring with toys if that's what he really likes?

Of course you may have already tried all of this. I'm kind of intrigued by this though, can you get video of him at all?
Old 04-13-2012, 12:09 AM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzerotti View Post
Are the touch issues only in agility or all the time?
Yes, he's a strange one. He either hates being touched or smoooooshes into you in a frenzy. He's never just comfortable with touching.

Quote:
I also found that teaching her to jump into my arms helped, by turning getting man-handled into a game.
He'll jump up and hug me, etc, but again, it's a bit frantic.

Quote:
For coming in close on your right, what if you taught it away from agility, just reinforcing for being there or even luring with toys if that's what he really likes?
I've been trying and tonight I made a tiny bit of progress. He sucks at luring into/past me. If I guide a treat he'll stop, snap/lunge like a snake and bawk backwards. He's spazzy too, so fluid following movements are not his thing. My trainer didn't really buy it until I showed her, I'll try and video it when I get a chance. I had to train him to wrap between my legs and out on my right to reset him because pulling him back on my right and resending him just wasn't working at all.

I've done a lot of circle games as ground work and he does alright on the left but on the right he freaks. Tonight I took a class with him just to see how he was in the environment, etc, and it was apparent how strange he is. He likes to stay away from me, a lot, he's very wide but attentive. I have been told in the past he moves like he's herding me (or anything else).

Quote:
Of course you may have already tried all of this. I'm kind of intrigued by this though, can you get video of him at all?
This was Backup tonight on his last run. The first two were a total mess and I apologized profusely for wasting her time. LOL He was avoiding jumps, blowing off, doing whatever. I think he had to pee something fierce but I don't know that it's an excuse. Either way, he started to settle in and we made some progress. He's listening a bit better these days and tonight I actually had some fun with him.

http://youtu.be/ayfvvN_Uqkg

Notice his wide birth around that dropped pole? Yet he'll plow into poles on the jumps. :/ He's jumping 12s because I haven't addressed his jumping style yet. I started him in flyball as a pup and I think I compounded some natural issues. He jumps super flat and low, he also has no regard for his body which doesn't help at all.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:50 AM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

So, just popping in to tell you all that you suck, because this thread in conjunction with going to a trail last weekend with SaraB and Zuma has put the agility fire back in my bones. So, Frodo and I are going to give agility a go. Because of my work schedule (work until 9:30pm every night) and my attempts at saving money (so no private lessons), Frodo and I are going to try and train alone. YouTube is my friend, and I'm sure I'll be posting lots of videos for anyone who would be willing to critique and help.

I would probably drop over dead if Frodo and I ever made it into the ring, besides his dog/dog issues he is also almost 7 years old, and lazy. But I figure this is a good way to get his brain moving because I'm sick of teaching him stupid pet tricks and he's my only dog, so he doesn't get a choice. I'm going into this with no expectation except for us to have fun.

We have done a few foundation get-togethers with friends in PA before I moved, but nothing concrete. He does LOOOOVE his tunnels though, and we took a weavers class with SaraB. When we did the foundation work he was full of p!ss and vinegar, and we went through a couple tug/treat toys because he tore them apart, and he DOES NOT tug outside of the house. So there is hope I guess

And just for funsies, here are two short clips of Frodo at our "come and train what you want" class when someone left agility equipment up

http://www.flickr.com/photos/izfro/5724195557/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/izfro/5724196643/

I can't seem to find the one where Ryan nearly steered him into a pole

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:56 AM
Roos, Poos, & a Wog!

Go Frodo go! I think you guys would have a blast doing agility!

Would he leave the ring to go after another dog, or just doesn't like them in his face? I know quite a few dogs around here that do agility that are DA/DR.
Old 04-13-2012, 01:07 AM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MericoX View Post
Go Frodo go! I think you guys would have a blast doing agility!

Would he leave the ring to go after another dog, or just doesn't like them in his face? I know quite a few dogs around here that do agility that are DA/DR.
I don't see him leaving the ring to go after a dog, I really don't. But I'm also super paranoid and would probably be dragging friends along and stationing them at ring exits just in case. But like I said, I doubt we'd ever trial, probably more because of me than him.

I do think he would have an absolute blast on a tunnelers course though

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 04-13-2012, 02:07 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
Notice his wide birth around that dropped pole? Yet he'll plow into poles on the jumps. :/
Okay, after watching even this short video, I agree....he is weird.

He did great though with coming into your right side on the front crosses, and I was impressed with his responsiveness to the crosses.....it looks like your circle work is paying off!

As for the distance, I've seen some Border Collies behave the same way, where the handler has to get used to handling from afar, definitely a herding thing I'd say.

It looks like you both had a good time though, woohoo!
Old 04-13-2012, 02:09 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWCorgi View Post
And just for funsies, here are two short clips of Frodo at our "come and train what you want" class when someone left agility equipment up
Cute! He definitely wants to do some agility.