Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 04-09-2012, 04:43 PM
aka RedHotBabe

I'm not sure, because we have a car that can easily eat $1000 in repairs every month or so.

My car is 13 years old, too, with twice as many miles as yours and I have no desire to get rid of it. I'm too attached to it. Luckily, it hasn't needed anything major replaced. I'd rather just continue to gradually replace all the worn parts than invest in something newer.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:28 PM
Top Dog

I talked to my dad tonight, and he's echoing your guys' sentiment. His thought was as long as the repairs aren't more than a car payment would be and the car is fairly reliable (it is), then it's not prudent to go buy a new one.

I guess that gives me plenty of time to do the research on what kind of car I want!
Old 04-09-2012, 06:59 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

I have a 2000 Chevy Impala with 83k miles on it, and it has no problems... but even if it did, $800 to replace some parts that were rusted with age/wear & tear from salt in the winter wouldn't scare me. I expect mine to go for quite a long while before I even need to START thinking about worrying... I think you have plenty of time as long as the car is in overall good shape!

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 04-09-2012, 08:19 PM
Top Dog

I put so much money into my Subaru. I should have sold it before I did. But I kept thinking...fix this and it should be good for a long time. Then something else. And over and over. I kept thinking...well, $2,000 is STILL a lot less than $30,000 for a new one. (if it were a brand new one) But it would still be way up there even if it were a year or two old. So, I'd plug along. Something kept happening to that car so frequently. Finally, the last straw was when I was driving across the desert...across Washington from Idaho to my Dad's funeral. I went a day ahead and thank goodness I did or I wouldn't have made it. I broke down, thankfully, in a town because out in the middle of nowhere would not have been cool at all. I needed and I mean needed a reliable car where I lived in Idaho...dangerous without. So, I broke down and bought a 2 year old, low mileage...almost new car....finally.

So, I guess it's different things for different people. One can say when the repair costs top the cost of a new one. But you don't know what's ahead in the way of repair. So, you keep on dishing it out for a while. If you repair and repair and it's still less than a new one, it's really hard to decide. You can get a lot of repairs for $20 or $30 K. If there were a reliable way to figure out the prognosis for the future of the car. Once when I had it in a repair shop here when I was just visiting...when I still lived in Idaho, a mechanic told me..."I wouldn't put anymore into this car. It's looking pretty downhill from here." I think I already had my new car, but my daughter was using this Subaru at the time.

I hope you can make a decision easier than I did. I was so relieved when I got a reliable, almost new car. I love it. I had to sell some stocks to buy it, but I'm so glad I did. It's not safe to drive a car that is at that stage where they can break down anytime, anyplace.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 04-09-2012, 08:34 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doberluv View Post
It's not safe to drive a car that is at that stage where they can break down anytime, anyplace.
The good news is that I never drive in the middle of nowhere, ever. I drive 7 miles to work (through suburbia), or sometimes 15 miles into DC. Anywhere further, my husband drives (or at least we take his car). If I lived in a sparsely populated area or often drove on long trips, I'd absolutely be looking at a new car now, but I feel safe about where I'm driving and my ability to get to a repair shop or have my husband/friend pick me up if absolutely necessary.

I'm definitely going to start funneling my savings into a dedicated "CAR FUND" (so I don't feel like I'm giving up vacation money by spending it!) because the day is coming in the not-so-distant future...but right now the car isn't unreliable, it's just getting old and tired
Old 04-10-2012, 08:31 AM
Top Dog

That's good Cali. Where I lived before, it could get down to 30 below zero and there was this 30 mile highway which was really a country road that had very little traffic on it and miles and miles between houses. That's what I needed to go on to get to any town. So, having a reliable car there was a matter of life and death. It sounds like you're not in a situation like that at least. I think that's a good idea to make a designated car fund. Then when the time comes, you won't have to take from something else. You can just save a little and keep adding to it. Good plan!
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 04-10-2012, 01:15 PM
Mutts to you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doberluv View Post
I put so much money into my Subaru. I should have sold it before I did.
We bought a Subaru, new, thinking it would a durable car and spent more money on that thing... worst car we ever bought and the last subaru we'll ever buy.

Both the car (Honda Accord) and the van (Chevy Astro) are getting long in the tooth but it's still cheaper to fix/replace the worn parts than have car payments. One thing we did start doing last year was socking away a car payment every month to a) see how stressful it would be on our finances, especially with the always higher winter heating bills, and b) have a bigger down payment when we finally have to bite the bullet and replace the van or car.

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but Iím not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. -Robert McCloskey