Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 04-05-2012, 07:29 PM
overdogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisper View Post
It seems there's a very different type of energy between herding dogs (like BCs) and a lot of sporting dogs like labs. BCs and Aussies, while they're not lap dogs, are much easier for me to work with than an energetic lab. Maybe its because their energy is usually focused into something, and not just a BLAST of spazziness? I don't know.
Steve has definitely been easier for me to keep exercised than Luce was when she was young *because* he is so game-focused. Luce would occasionally condescend to chase a flirt pole, but mostly she just wanted to run and do her own thing, the heck with me. But if she didn't get run and run hard, she was jumping on my head, destroying things, etc. She was an utter PITA in other words.
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 04-05-2012, 07:42 PM
Kaleidoscopic Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Jessie~ View Post

I'm just happy that there are SO many breeds out there to choose from! Labs are the most popular breed but like you said, just not the breed for me! I always end up throwing balls or sticks for the labs when we go to the lake and I LOVE spending time with them (they are soooo good at retrieving lol) but they're not a breed I'd want to live with.

It's nice to know what breeds suit you and which don't... a lot of people don't take the time to research or get to know breeds. It's important for a dog and its human to mesh well. I wouldn't want to live with a dog that drove me insane, and I'm sure the dog wouldn't benefit from it either!
I agree! They're fun to be around. They're always happy and I do happen to like playing fetch, lol. (Actually a lab mix named Junior was my absolute favorite when I volunteered at the shelter.) I also think labs get their bad rap from from people you mentioned- who don't think about which breed is good for them. They see labs on TV, nice labs walking down the street with someone, and think, "Oh, they look great!" They get one and it doesn't occur to them that labs didn't magically become so popular. They need *gasp* training, and then we all meet the crazy untrained ones. That's not to say they're my kind of dog even at the highest training level, but idiot dog owners is why I pretty much have a reflex of covering my chest in defense when I see one coming toward me. Marley and Me, anyone?
I don't think I even know exactly how any breeds are acknowledged around the world! I'm happy there is at LEAST one each of us can live with and enjoy.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:47 PM
I'm All Ears

I don't do well with sporting type dog energy nor do I do well with most bully types either. I find those types of dogs tend to overwhelm me.

Mia has what I call an 'easy' high energy. She will play fetch till she drops and she's so eager to do anything with me. As long as I involve her, she's good. I will say right now she is annoying me. I got home today at 4:30, picked her up and went to the park until 6:10. Agility 7-8 pm. Dropped by my dad's with her in tow and played ball there until 9:20ish while we talked. (He kept kicking it for her). Now we're back home and I'm trying to eat and she keeps dropping the ball at my feet. My other two have done nothing all day except the park and they're much calmer.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:58 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
I don't do well with sporting type dog energy nor do I do well with most bully types either. I find those types of dogs tend to overwhelm me.
See, I'm exactly the opposite. I don't mind sporting dog energy (well, lab energy, anyway), nor do I mind bully energy. Labs and Pitties are actually my two favorite breeds of dogs. Most herding breeds, however, aren't my cup of tea. I find it funny when people see it the other way around! Lol

Old 04-05-2012, 10:13 PM
such sights to show you

Quote:
Originally Posted by *blackrose View Post
See, I'm exactly the opposite. I don't mind sporting dog energy... Most herding breeds, however, aren't my cup of tea. I find it funny when people see it the other way around! Lol
Same here. I like almost any sporting dog, but herders are just not my cup of tea. It's funny I don't even see them as having the same type of energy at all.

Old 04-05-2012, 10:33 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
Same here. I like almost any sporting dog, but herders are just not my cup of tea. It's funny I don't even see them as having the same type of energy at all.
I don't see herders and sporting dogs as having similar energies either. I can handle the herding dog energy but not the typical sporting dog energy. Herders just make sense to me, but then again, I grew up with them. I need extreme handler sensitivity and I love a dog that will focus their energy easily.

Paps have a strange type of energy. I like it, but it's different than my other dogs have been. They're kind of a combo of 'hyperactive little dog' and 'really really want to work with you'. I know the BC people I've known with paps complain that they're too easily distracted. Compared to about every other dog in class, though, my dogs seem much easier when it comes to handler-orientedness. But they definitely can have a little bit of a frantic/hyperactive edge imo.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:43 PM
treehugging clicker freak

I think compared to some Cockers are high maintenence. They're not a wash and wear dog unless clipped really short. I like a particular cut, and so I try to maintain it by trimming up every couple of weeks, and of course ear care. So in comparisain to some breeds that are wash and wear, I agree to that. Maddie has always had pretty high energy compared to most of the couch potato byb cockers we come in contact with. But I find her energy great, workable, highly trainable.

I'm surprised Shelties were up there with the BCs and Aussies. A lot of people complain about them love it

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 04-06-2012, 01:32 AM
Tru evil has no pantyline

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD View Post
My border collie is lower maintenance than my papillon was.
This this this! I had border collies my whole life before I got paps. The paps are horrible attention mongers with NO off switch AT ALL.

Run free my special angel. I love you and will miss you forever more. You touched everyone with your light.

Abusive ground RAW feeder since 2009

Blog---> http://bananarepublic-ct.blogspot.com/
Old 04-06-2012, 06:52 AM
such sights to show you

It's so interesting to me how different people see different things as high maintenance. Like, the attention whoring thing... to me, that's not high maintenance at all. Squash is a terrible attention *****. But at the end of the day, I feel like I don't really have to DO anything about it.

ETA: So is Maisy, now that I think about it, aheheh.

Old 04-06-2012, 07:47 AM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisper View Post
LOL, me neither! I mentioned a lab foster I had in another thread. He was a handsome 18-month oldish chocolate boy, very sweet, a really good dog. But even though there were many great things about him, he drove me INFREAKINGSANE.
When it was time for him to go to his new home, the night before as I always do, I was thinking, "Should I keep him?" I let him out of his crate and let's just say that night I knew I was doing the right thing and he was not the dog for me, lol. Knowing I could still visit him when I wanted, I was happy to send him off, ROFL. IMO labs are nice dogs to spend time with (if they're trained), but not to live with.
It's all good, though. Plenty of people love labs. They're just not for me.
Labs are great dogs to live with....if you train them well and exercise them enough. I have 2 chocolate lab girls (Java and Moka). Java is 3 years old and Moka is 2 years old...and they're amazing.
They are very well trained and have great manners. My girls are very low maintenance all the way around. They do need a ton of exercise though...but you just have to find what their trigger is. Java's trigger is swimming...she will swim for hours and hours. Moka's trigger is frisbee and fetching. Once you get that down, piece of cake!!