Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 04-05-2012, 03:20 PM
Squishy face

I petsat in the past for two Brussels Griffons, both males. I didn't find them "high maintenance" really, just annoying. They had a lot of difficulty with housebreaking, probably because their owners weren't consistent. They were old enough that they should have been able to hold it much longer, but I had to take them out every two to three hours and watch them constantly when inside or they would have an accident. At night I attempted to let them sleep in the bed with me like their owners did, but they would inevitably wake me up at 3am by playing on top of me, and they would pee on the floor at night and sometimes poop, so I started having them sleep in their crates at night. But of course, they would whine and bark when in their crates. Sigh. I don't think they would have been quite so annoying if they had had proper, consistent training in their lives. They were NOT stupid dogs, they were just allowed to get away with murder, and they reveled in it.

"Give thanks to God for being dog. He gave us the joy of angels." - Trixie Koontz, Dog, Trixie Treats & Holiday Wisdom - Christmas is Good!
Old 04-05-2012, 04:03 PM
Top Dog

Every Border Collie I have ever met or lived with has been easy as pie IMO.

I think my girlies are super low maintenence overall, but I think most people would disagree with me bigtime lol.
Which thats fine, I wish more people would abstain from getting sled dogs as pets because they think they are pretty.
Old 04-05-2012, 05:11 PM
Top Dog

Cavs, Brussells, Cockers, Poodles or Yorkies are "high maintenance" in terms of grooming (Cavs not so much, although some altered ones get coats that approach altered Cocker-y) but IMO not so much in terms of being good pet dogs. I see lots of Cavs, Cockers, Poodles and Yorkies in average pet homes who's owners do just fine with them despite doing very little training and low to moderate exercise.The other breeds can be fairly high maintenance in terms of being pet dogs, depending on what the owner's expectations of having a pet dog is.

As far as breeds I have had....

Considering several people who have Belgians told me PyrSheps were "too hyper to do anything with", I'd say PyrSheps are pretty high maintenance by most people's standards. Savvy is certainly not as easy as the other herding dogs I have had. He's high energy, a bit hyper and a bit destructive if left to his own devices. And he jumps fences...which in itself makes a high maintenance dog as far as I'm concerned. Also they require a lot of ongoing socialization, training and interaction....which I don't mind because that's what I enjoy doing with my dogs anyway

The Belgians...it depends on what you find high maintenance or not. IME they're good house dogs for the most part, although some can be rather needy. They don't tend to be super destructive and can be happy chilling out with you, providing they are getting the exercise/interaction they need. But they do require a lot of early socialization, early training and a certain amount of ongoing interaction. They aren't a dog most people would be happy "casually owning". The owners of the Cavs, Cockers, Poodles and Yorkies I see...they'd probably not enjoy a Belgian so much. For an active owner who wants to have a very interactive relationship with their dog (training, exercising, etc) I don't find them to be a really a hard breed. Or maybe I've just had them so long they seem perfectly normal At the same time though, I know they can be prone to behaviors that are dealbreakers for many people. Guard-y, suspicious and/or reactive behavior towards strangers/strange dogs. Shrieking with excitement or frustration. Obsessive behaviors. And just plain quirkyness LOL GSDs can be high maintenance for similar reasons to Belgians and some of their own. Two of my GSDs were rather high maintenance - one because he was a "no touch" sort of dog when it came to strangers and the other because she had to be separated from the other girls in the house. Of course, there are super low drive, low energy, oddball GSDs (and Belgians) out there who are extremely easy too. So some of it depends on the individual dog too.

Ziggy is crazy but a really super good house dog. I'm sure people who see him in agility probably could never believe that LOL

Coat care wise, I've not had any really "high maintenance" breeds. My Collie's coat got higher maintenance once he was neutered but he didn't have a lot more hair than my boy Belgian. The Belgians, if their coat texture is correct are pretty low maintenance for hairy dogs. Savvy is almost no maintenance except he gets mats behind his ears and under his front legs. He gets burrs too, although they brush out really easily.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:05 PM
I'm All Ears

I thought that article was BS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD View Post
My border collie is lower maintenance than my papillon was.
Yeah they haven't met Mia. Although I have to say that I personally find living with her very easy, most people I know with dogs would not like living with her and would call her 'high maintenance' (aka, you actually have to DO something with her).

Loud? Active? In your face? Constantly wanting attention? Busy? Mia has it all. I love it. I wouldn't want any other kind of dog.
Old 04-05-2012, 06:20 PM
I'm All Ears

Oh and I think Mia's easy as pie to live with. She'll sleep most the day and can go days without more than ball throwing or a training game. I work full time so she's home alone sometimes as much as 10 hours. Now this DOES mean I get up early to play ball with her (at 5 am, she is raring to go) and when I get home we either play, got to class, or to the park. But overall she's easy and I enjoy doing things with her.

Most people I know don't even walk their dogs ever though let alone take them somewhere or do training, etc.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:12 PM
Chihuahua Power!

For me, I'd take a super high energy dog over a dog with a high maintenance coat any day! I have a Border Collie, and I've debated adding a second one- either they're really not bad, or I'm a glutton for punishment!

I grew up with a Dalmatian, and she was higher energy/maintenance than my BC. I just feel like BCs and Aussies get a reputation for being these crazy OMG not easy to live with dogs, which isn't the case with most of them.

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 04-05-2012, 07:18 PM
Kaleidoscopic Eye

It seems there's a very different type of energy between herding dogs (like BCs) and a lot of sporting dogs like labs. BCs and Aussies, while they're not lap dogs, are much easier for me to work with than an energetic lab. Maybe its because their energy is usually focused into something, and not just a BLAST of spazziness? I don't know.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:23 PM
Chihuahua Power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisper View Post
It seems there's a very different type of energy between herding dogs (like BCs) and a lot of sporting dogs like labs. BCs and Aussies, while they're not lap dogs, are much easier for me to work with than an energetic lab. Maybe its because their energy is usually focused into something, and not just a BLAST of spazziness? I don't know.
Exactly how I feel!

Labs aren't a good fit for me at all. I WISH they were because I think the chocolates are some of the cutest dogs ever. We're just not on the same wave length!

Old 04-05-2012, 08:18 PM
Kaleidoscopic Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Jessie~ View Post
Exactly how I feel!

Labs aren't a good fit for me at all. I WISH they were because I think the chocolates are some of the cutest dogs ever. We're just not on the same wave length!
LOL, me neither! I mentioned a lab foster I had in another thread. He was a handsome 18-month oldish chocolate boy, very sweet, a really good dog. But even though there were many great things about him, he drove me INFREAKINGSANE.
When it was time for him to go to his new home, the night before as I always do, I was thinking, "Should I keep him?" I let him out of his crate and let's just say that night I knew I was doing the right thing and he was not the dog for me, lol. Knowing I could still visit him when I wanted, I was happy to send him off, ROFL. IMO labs are nice dogs to spend time with (if they're trained), but not to live with.
It's all good, though. Plenty of people love labs. They're just not for me.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:25 PM
Chihuahua Power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisper View Post
LOL, me neither! I mentioned a lab foster I had in another thread. He was a handsome 18-month oldish chocolate boy, very sweet, a really good dog. But even though there were many great things about him, he drove me INFREAKINGSANE.
When it was time for him to go to his new home, the night before as I always do, I was thinking, "Should I keep him?" I let him out of his crate and let's just say that night I knew I was doing the right thing and he was not the dog for me, lol. Knowing I could still visit him when I wanted, I was happy to send him off, ROFL. IMO labs are nice dogs to spend time with (if they're trained), but not to live with.
It's all good, though. Plenty of people love labs. They're just not for me.

I'm just happy that there are SO many breeds out there to choose from! Labs are the most popular breed but like you said, just not the breed for me! I always end up throwing balls or sticks for the labs when we go to the lake and I LOVE spending time with them (they are soooo good at retrieving lol) but they're not a breed I'd want to live with.

It's nice to know what breeds suit you and which don't... a lot of people don't take the time to research or get to know breeds. It's important for a dog and its human to mesh well. I wouldn't want to live with a dog that drove me insane, and I'm sure the dog wouldn't benefit from it either!