Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 04-02-2012, 12:30 PM
Like a bat outa' hell

Default Hiker peeps

What equipment do you use?

This summer I will be looking for some good hiking shoes and a backpack. I have really bad ribs. Last time I used a pack I had to give it to someone else becaue my ribs popped out of place and hurt like an SOB! So I need a pack that will place the weight not on my ribs.

Also Tyler and I will be buying a nice light weight tent that has to fit at least 2 adults and 2 dogs.

And we also need a sleeping bag for me. The nights ontop of the moutians can get quite cool.

GO!

Teagan Westhighland White Terrier
Panzer South African Boerboel Mastiff
Old 04-02-2012, 12:44 PM
Behavior Nerd

Best suggestion - go somewhere you can try EVERYTHING on. Shoes and packs are sooo individual that trying them out first is key.

I have an Osprey internal frame pack designed for smaller women that I <3 - I found it by going to the local outdoor outfitter shop and asking for help finding a pack that fit. Shoes, well I swear by my VFF KomodoSports or TrekSports for hiking but again, that's very individual, so trying on boots, light hikers, and minimalist shoes to see what works best for you is important.

eta: A good pack should put weight on your *hips* not your shoulders or ribs. I now use my internal frame pack for even day hikes because it's soooooo much more comfortable than my old school back packs.

Old 04-02-2012, 12:50 PM
Puppy Dog

How heavy of boots are you looking to get? And what sort of terrain? I love my vasques for really heavy duty stuff, (i.e 20 miles in the mountains in Oregon, Cambodian jungle trekking etc.). But for lighter stuff they get a little heavy and stiff. I know people who swear by Merrell, but my feet are too narrow in the heel for them.

I got my current backpack in China from a backpacking company based there, but I doubt you can find the brand here. If you live anywhere near in REI, you can return something even after you used it if you don't like it. I even returned a dog pack because it didn't fit my dog correctly after he had jumped in a lake with it on.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:58 PM
Like a bat outa' hell

Im looking for boots with tough exterior. We will be doing lots of scrambles up and down shail. I used runners last time and at the end of the hike they were completly tore up from the shail.

Its all mountian terrain. We also will be doing caving and stuff like that.

Old 04-02-2012, 01:10 PM
Puppy Dog

That's the type of stuff I use my vasque's for. I'd say make sure it is comfortable and has a vibram sole (or the equivalent).
Old 04-02-2012, 01:54 PM
MIiA

Not sure if there's a MEC near you or not, but they generally have evertything you would need. It's best to go in person to check out the wares, but the MEC branded tents & sleeping bags are quite good.

www.mec.ca will give you an idea of what they have to offer in the way of backpacks, hiking boots, tents and sleeping bags - along with a slew of other items you might want for camping.

Because I tend to do solo kayaking/camping/canoing, none of my gear would apply to your uses, but I do recommend them for the quality of gear they have, along with the variety (including general and specialized outdoor gear).

Old 04-02-2012, 02:44 PM
Top Dog

Definitely second the MEC suggestion. Really awesome, knowledgeable staff and super quality products.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:09 PM
overdogged

My boots are Merrells. Still pretty new, but I like them so far. It's so rocky here, and already I'm appreciating the protection. I'll do short hikes in my VFFs, but my feet can't handle 10 miles in them.

My pack is a Kelty Redwing. If I had it to do over, I'd buy something else because the frame is just a smidge too short for me. At this point I'm only dayhiking and not carry that much weight, so it's a nuisance vs pain-inducing, but I wish I'd chosen differently.
and Bean FDCh-S
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 04-05-2012, 02:42 AM
Thanks, and Gig 'em.

Do you have an REI near you?

Also, how long are y'alls forays? I use a Teton Ultralight 2800 but you might want a larger pack. Anyhow it has the waste band clip thing and that helps get the weight off your ribs a bit.

But yah got to a backpacking store (REI is a good one IMO) and tell them what you want and then you can try on lots of shoes and packs.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, throughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming --- 'WOW, WHAT A RIDE!!!!' " - Author Unknown
Old 04-05-2012, 02:48 PM
Like a bat outa' hell

Thanks guys for all the helpful info. We have a Mecc here so thats probably where we will be going.