Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog News and Articles

Old 04-04-2012, 03:39 PM
Fluffy Corgi Addict

I was denied Eevee because I lived in an apartment. Therefore, I was incapable of taking proper care of a dog. I went home crying that day. My dad was furious. He sent a homeowning friend of his to the rescue and this guy was instantly allowed to adopt Eevee just because he had a house. The guy came and brought Eevee to me after adopting her. 12 years later, She's still alive and thriving. I've lived in a few apartment since with her. Guess I'm not a bad owner after all...

I agree with rescues being careful... but I also agree that some of them are ridiculous.

Eevee
14-year-old F Border Collie Mix - My Heart Dog!
Ravinel Fox Magick, CGC (Shippo)
8-year-old M Pembroke Welsh Corgi
Cheetah's Training Blog
Old 04-04-2012, 05:25 PM
Resident fainting goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron View Post
Good Homes Need Not Apply:
http://www.nathanwinograd.com/?p=6359

Disclaimer: I work for Trupanion and love it/our policy! But I do not speak for the company or as the company.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:37 PM
Kaleidoscopic Eye

Aleron, that article is amazing. The writer is my new hero.
I totally understand wanting a good home for an animal. I wouldn't give a dog to anyone walking down the street. But there is a middle ground between that and rescues having such a big stick up their asses that animals live the rest of their lives in a shelter- either a very short one before being PTS or a long, painful, chaotic one in a "no-kill" shelter.
I gave my lab foster (who the guy names Repo, lol) to someone who had just lost his Dalmatian, Kirby, at 16 years old. I could have waited for the "perfect" home, but instead I saw a good home with a man in mourning who wanted a buddy to go boating with, a companion to sit by his side, and a dog that was exactly what he wanted and needed a forever home. Repo doesn't eat the best food, he's not the best trained dog, but he's loved, he gets a lot of exercise, a lot of play time, and he and his owner are both happy with each other.
I got rejected from a border collie rescue because the fenced portion of my yard wasn't big enough. No questions, no asking for more information about how the dog would get exercise or anything, nothing. Just "Sorry!" I am SO glad I wasn't set on one dog, or else I would have been devastated.
I got a no with ZERO explanation from an Aussie rescue. WTF? They wouldn't even give me the courtesy to explain what the problem was?
In the end, I'm glad I went to my local shelter. I answered questions that were the most important, signed a contract about basic care for a dog, and I ended up with a dog I love to bits of a breed I adore and thought I couldn't have for another decade.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:18 PM
ಥ⌣ಥ

I love that article. Covers exactly how I feel.

My Polyvore
Old 04-04-2012, 10:16 PM
Top Dog

Such a good article. It is disgusting how so many shelters and rescues needlessly turn people away and deny so many animals a nice life....in most cases.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson