Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 11-16-2005, 11:57 PM
Island dweller

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreatureTeacher
It's not really a matter of memory. I think it's described that way so that we can understand it better. Dogs are the ultimate "zen critters"--they live more in the now than any of us could hope to. We can't explain to them, "Okay, I'm really upset that you pooped on the floor three hours ago. That's why you're in trouble." Because we speak two different languages and we can't accurately communicate our motivations, we have to take advantage of their doggy zen and use it to teach them. That's why, if you want to shape your dog's behavior, you have to react to their behavior within about four seconds. Otherwise, it's in the past, man!
lol that was well put emma
Old 11-19-2005, 12:14 PM
Dog Day Pets

CreatureTeacher's comments are accurate as well as humorous. Dog's "learn" by repetition in conjunction with their natural instincts. That's why we reward them with a treat for good behavior. We all make the mistake of believing our dogs understand the word "sit" etc. They don't, they know the "sound" sit means treat/reward if I do this. (If that makes sense). If you talk to your dog (I think most of do) he will look at you waiting for a sound that he knows. His ears will perk up at the mention of the word "walk", "treat", "hungry" etc. The other 10 words you said mean nothing.
When you arrive home and there is a mess on the carpet, he looks guilty because he is reading your body language and tone of voice. He knows the alpha is unhappy but cannot associate it with the mess.
Whenever possible, I take Chaz for a walk before I leave for any length of time. Still accidents happen.