Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 04-02-2012, 01:09 PM
Top Dog

Do NOT go with guardian. I worked there for five years. You DO NOT WANT THOSE DISPATCHERS TO HAVE YOUR INFO. They do not back ground our drug test. I can't tell you how many times workers write down personal info of the customers.

I would personally advise against an alarm but if you absolutely need one avoid guardian like the plague

Old 04-02-2012, 01:41 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACooper View Post

We had the back door alarm violated more than once and the police were NEVER notified........never. One time my sister (lives an hour away) came to visit and we weren't home. She figured she'd just come in the back door (with her key) and wait on us (she knew the dogs, the dogs knew and loved her) so no prob there. As soon as she opened the back door, the alarm went off. She went back to her car and figured she'd wait for the cops and explain, LOL............no cops were notified or showed. I could give several accountings of the same.
Uh... That's what alarm systems are supposed to do. The alarm goes off, of they immediately leave, no police needed. The number one feature of alarms is to scare people off, if It scares them off then your house is safe. The police are called if they decide to further go into your house after the alarm was set off.

If police were sent out every single time an alarm went off, police would always uselessly be out at somebody's house.

ADT here is nowhere like that, they're pretty awesome (talking from experience), but then again I'm in Canada. Haven't had any problems canceling yet

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 04-02-2012, 01:51 PM
<--------Orson

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post
Uh... That's what alarm systems are supposed to do. The alarm goes off, of they immediately leave, no police needed. The number one feature of alarms is to scare people off, if It scares them off then your house is safe. The police are called if they decide to further go into your house after the alarm was set off.

If police were sent out every single time an alarm went off, police would always uselessly be out at somebody's house.

ADT here is nowhere like that, they're pretty awesome (talking from experience), but then again I'm in Canada. Haven't had any problems canceling yet
No dear, if the alarm is triggered ADT is supposed to call our house-ask for our code/safety word and make sure it was a false alarm. If they can't reach us, they are supposed to notify the authorities to come check things out.

How is ADT supposed to know if the burglar ran away at the sound or came inside to rob/kill/destroy? If the perpetrator happens to go past the one and only motion sensor (ours was positioned just before going up to the second floor) then ADT would know they headed upstairs...........otherwise, no, they wouldn't know any more than they tried to enter the back door (front door, window, whatever)

It's the same with businesses too..............if a door alarm is triggered, the monitoring company notifies authorities and the owner/manager/whoever of the situation...........that is the WHOLE point of 'monitoring' LOL

EDIT: There are plenty of "Noise making" devices you can purchase to "scare" people away. Nothing wrong with those at all, but when you PAY a company a monthly fee to MONITOR that "noise system" they are SUPPOSED TO MONITOR!
Old 04-02-2012, 01:53 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACooper View Post
No dear, if the alarm is triggered ADT is supposed to call our house-ask for our code/safety word and make sure it was a false alarm. If they can't reach us, they are supposed to notify the authorities to come check things out.

How is ADT supposed to know if the burglar ran away at the sound or came inside to rob/kill/destroy? If the perpetrator happens to go past the one and only motion sensor (ours was positioned just before going up to the second floor) then ADT would know they headed upstairs...........otherwise, no, they wouldn't know any more than they tried to enter the back door (front door, window, whatever)

It's the same with businesses too..............if a door alarm is triggered, the monitoring company notifies authorities and the owner/manager/whoever of the situation...........that is the WHOLE point of 'monitoring' LOL
Yup, our alarm at work has been triggered, and the closest management member to the store gets a call asking if someone should be there.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
2 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi
Old 04-02-2012, 03:15 PM
Squishy face

My parents use a company called Vector. Their customer service is very good. The only issue they've had is that signals weren't getting from our house to the company, but we got that fixed and all is good. If an alarm gets set off, they call our house and we give them a password if everything is ok. I would recommend testing your alarm system at least once a month to make sure signals are getting where they are supposed to go.

Vector also offers such services as sending you an email every time the alarm goes off, or even every time the door opens. I know this because my dad opted for the latter. Yeah.

"Give thanks to God for being dog. He gave us the joy of angels." - Trixie Koontz, Dog, Trixie Treats & Holiday Wisdom - Christmas is Good!
Old 04-02-2012, 05:58 PM
*Now with Snark*

So far Frontpoint seems to be the most competitive offer and they do have systems that will do what we need it to do.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:51 PM
My dog tickles my soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post

Jess, it was written in our contract that the police would be called in event of a break-in. As ACoop said, the alarm company is supposed call the house to reach you, and if they can't to call the police. Like I said, it was written in our contract as part of the service we were PAYING for.

If we wanted just a noise machine, we wouldn't have paid the extra $$$ a month to ADT to "monitor" our system. They STATED the police would be notified... why should I assume that isn't part of their job?

ETA: I only skimmed Coop's response before replying, and she worded it so much better than me.