Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog News and Articles

Old 03-29-2012, 10:28 AM
Twin 2

Default The amazing dog that saved its own life...

...by calling the police

http://theweek.com/article/index/226...ing-the-police

Quote:
One reason dogs are called man's best friend: They often save human lives. But George, a 2-year-old basset hound in West Yorkshire, England, has reworked that well-worn script a bit, literally calling for help to save himself. Home alone, the playful pup managed to wrap the phone cord tightly around his neck, then somehow dialed 999 the British equivalent of 911 to set up his own rescue. Here's the story of this "amazing dog," and his "insanely heart-exploding" adventure:

What happened?
George had knocked the phone to the floor and was strangling himself with the handset's cord when he apparently dialed 999 in a panic. The operator heard only frantic gasps and heavy breathing and, assuming someone was desperately sick or reeling from an attack, sent police to the house. Neighbor Paul Walker let them in with his key. As the police were running around the house looking for a dying person, Walker says, he found George choking and ripped the cord out to save him. "Incredibly, you could see where his paw print was on the phone to ring 999," Walker tells Britain's The Sun. "He literally saved his own life."

How did the dog manage to call 999?
George's owners, Steve Brown and his daughter Lydia, are as dumbfounded as everyone else. They don't have a push-button phone, says Lydia, 18. "It's one of those old-fashioned phones with the dialing ring," she tells The Sun. And it's not like George is particularly clever. In fact, "he's not usually very smart," Lydia says. "He's really dopey and just likes to chew socks." After this ordeal, let him "chew as many socks as he likes," says Cassie Murdoch at Jezebel. And a word of advice to the Brown family: "Maybe it is time to get a cordless phone."

Is this the first time a canine has called the emergency operator?
No, says Wendy Toth at Petside. In 2009, Bailey, a golden retriever in Worcestershire, England, dialed 999 while chewing on a cordless phone in the backyard when the call went through, the owner had chased Bailey behind a shed, and all the operator heard was a muffled "Come out or else, I'm warning you," some whining, then a dead line. Other times, dogs are actually trained to call for help. In 2006, an Orlando, Florida, beagle named Belle saved owner Kevin Weaver's life by speed-dialing 911 on his cellphone biting the number 9, as taught when Weaver went into a diabetic seizure. "There is no doubt in my mind that I'd be dead if I didn't have Belle," he said.
Thought it was kinda neat!
Old 03-29-2012, 11:31 AM
Top Dog

Hahahha! I like the story of the golden retriever stealing the phone at the end, the owner threatening him. LOL!
Old 03-29-2012, 11:34 AM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Quote:
Neighbor Paul Walker...

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:37 AM
Cloudcandy

Looool @ the Paul Walker picture.
Bless that dog!Do not know how that worked out!

"If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats."
Lemony Snicket
Old 03-29-2012, 08:38 PM
Let it be

cute story
Old 03-30-2012, 11:43 AM
<3 my soldier

Lucky dog!!!!

Quote:
"He's really dopey and just likes to chew socks."
lmao
Old 03-30-2012, 12:22 PM
Big Dog

So cute, and I lol'd over the one where the dog stole the phone. I can so see that one at my house!
Old 03-30-2012, 01:20 PM
Top Dog

I LOVE that story. Wow!
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 04-01-2012, 04:11 PM
Felurian

Oy. Bimmer has made calls on my cell phone.

Kharma is the worst though. She's called Buckshot several times -- and Zoom late one night.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian