Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 02-06-2005, 03:47 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

Default dog parks in your community

I realize I live in a fairly large city. We have several, one downtown that is only 5 acres, but does allow for a place to socialize young dogs...a larger one on the north side, but it has no water, and the creme de la creme in Shawnee. I don't know if it is possible, but especially in smaller towns it could be made as a suggestion to the city council to set aside a piece of land just for this purpose. Dogs are becoming more and more "citizens" because their owners are taking them out of the back yard and making them a member of the family. I thought I would start this post to see who had good parks, what they thought made them good, and could be used as a sample to show the city govt how it becomes a valuable useful place for the community.
I go to lots of parks, and see lots of empty parking lots. AT Shawnee..even in the rain someone is there. Kelly took her dogs there this morning and I hats off to her cause we looked out the window said ugh and went back to bed!
The park is full of lots of people with lots of dogs! 50 some odd acres has been set aside, it has trails, lots of them, and a sizable beach to the lake where the dogs just have the time of their life, people meet there, make friends, drink their coffee together, look forward to coming back!
The park in the city advertises clean up day becuase it is only 5 acres, and I suppose the people do show up or else that place just wouldn't work, but even five acres is better then nothing for a young dog in the city to get to enjoy a good run off the leash in a real dog stride. Dogs are less likely to be vicious when they are socialized early with both other animals and people so it is a win win situation no matter how you look at it. If you are trying to get a place estabished good luck!
Old 02-06-2005, 10:12 PM
Puppy Dog

My city is opening a dog-park in March. I'm unsure if we're going to go there. She's fully vaccinated so I'm not worried about that, but I guess I just don't know "dog park etiquette." What if another owner considers aggresiveness to be play? What if Sophie picks up bad habits? Or gets hurt?
Old 02-06-2005, 11:02 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

I haven't seen any aggression except the quick bug off your crowding me growl..I haven't seen any fights. Most dogs that are starting are brought in on a leash until thier owners feel comfortable. I think the benefits far outweigh any risks. I have taken Bronki Mary and Vic there. Especially with victor he has had young dogs that could romp with him like littermates..the doggy etiquette is so different there than it would be on their own property. Because the park is no one's territory, that aggression is just plain eliminated. Victor is a far better dog for the times we were able to go, and as soon as it warms up enough for me you know where we will be on Sat mornings. I adore the dog park! IF you do go..let me know how it turns out and what features you liked and disliked! I would like to design a park, even if nothing comes from it.
Old 02-07-2005, 05:39 AM
Puppy Dog

You mean some dogs aren't on a leash?!
Old 02-07-2005, 12:03 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

Most dogs are not on a leash..I have a couple pics in my gallery of teh dog park. You can see they are not fighting, they are visiting, romping, playing tag you are it!
Old 02-07-2005, 12:28 PM
no touchy

So far I know of four parks and have been to three of them. One is a great fenced-in strip of beach with a lifeguard. The first time we were there it was FLOODED with dogs! It was amazing. The second two aren't fenced in and your dog has to be on a leash but they're nice places to take a walk. The fourth is one our neighbor recommended. It's a huge fenced-in park with a doggie water fountain and some agility equipment.

snookums--if a park is fenced-in, dogs are usually allowed off-leash.
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.
Old 02-07-2005, 04:05 PM
Top Dog

I'm not a fan of dog parks, primarily because I've had some bad experience with the lousy owners of the dogs, that shouldn't even be owning a pet in the first place. My dog has been attacked, bitten, and then BLAMED on several occassions.

I don't agree that dog parks are the perfect place for a dog to be socialized. Socialization ranges from anything to taking your dog for a stroll around the block to riding in the subway. Socialization is simply allowing your dog to grow accustomed to his/her environment and its inhabitants.

Dog parks can get out of hand when there are too many people, and although most will argue with my statement, I will tell you now that dog parks are a perfect stress booster for your pooch. New smells, new territory, alot of new strangers and animals. I have never gone to an offleash dog park and NOT seen a fight occur between both dogs and owners.

I avoid dog parks now and my pooch is perfectly happy visiting pet stores and taking the bus downtown and going for a stroll around the block to get her socialization. I take her on road trips in my car and she's used to just about any situation. She loves cats and is usually quite aggreeable with other dogs...people love her (except those that don't understand the breed), and she's a joy to have around. The only thing she's still afraid of is the car wash..lol but I'm working on it...

Oh, and just in case anyone here has a pitbull..I encourage pitbull owners NOT to take their dogs to offleash parks...that's a big no no.

*steps off soapbox* me done
Old 02-07-2005, 04:12 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

i am sorry you have had such awful experiences, your poor pup! Socialization is easy with people to find, but for me, a lot harder to find dogs for Vic to play with. Mary is old and can only keep up for so long. Maybe it is the size of our park, i don't know...we all have a blast..and many people have made friends there and meet regularly. The beach pratcally resembles this forum where people meet together in the morning and share experiences....there are quite a few pits that have come on leash to see other dogs and have so far as I can see welcomed by the other people. I know I heard Kelly say good for you,,this is just what he needs. Guess that is why it is important to get an all around perspective...wish your dog could come to our park, I think your experiece would have been better. Vic says he is sorry that your pooch didn't have a good time.
Old 02-07-2005, 10:23 PM
Puppy Dog

The park isn't open yet, so I'm not sure if it will be fenced or not. I know I won't feel comfortable going there if there are a bunch of unleashed dogs that I don't know. I don't even know if I'd trust Sophie not to go jump on somebody. She's not aggressive in the least, just really really really really really really friendly. She wants to love everybody, and that can sometimes be a problem. I would have to keep her on a leash.
Old 02-07-2005, 11:12 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

Being jumped on is par for the course, you usually dress for the dog park..I am going to find some dog park pics and attach this. I don't want anybody to think i am pushing the idea to go..that is a personal choice, but for people with high geared hunting dogs, dogs that enjoy the company of other dogs, people that like people and their other dogs, it can be a blessing in disguise. I will find the pics in the morning of Brownie..she jumps on everybody and everydog..we all love Brownie..you seldom leave without a brownie touch..who cares, Brownie is a clown. That is one example of the 20 or so I have gotten to know well there.