Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 03-31-2012, 02:50 PM
Obey the Toad.

Default Rescue Question-Is this reasonable?

I volunteer for a rescue run by a good friend. They focus on one large breed in particular but take in all breeds. They have limited experience with bully breeds, however. They have one girl in right now who appears to be a "pit bull," possibly mixed wth bull terrier. She is between 1 and 2 years old. She gets along with the male dog she is being kept with now, and seems mostly get along with other females but appears to be a bit of a "social climber" with the females. This is a rescue with few hard and fast rules. They require a home visit, meet and greet, altering, and that the dogs be indoor pets, but other than that it is typically pretty case by case.

Do you guys think it would be unreasonable to only adopt this bitch out to someone who has either no other dogs or dogs of the opposite sex? Also, do you think that putting some sort of no dog parks clause or suggestion in the contact would be out of line?

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 03-31-2012, 02:56 PM
Love My Mutt <3

I don't see why it would be unreasonable, lots of rescues will only adopt certain dogs out to people with no dogs or dogs of the opposite sex.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 03-31-2012, 02:59 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

I think for that particular dog it would be reasonable, but I also think that if there was another bitch that if she was submissive enough it might work. I'd definitely continue to take it on a case by case basis though.
Old 03-31-2012, 03:23 PM
Obey the Toad.

She is headed to a meet and greet Sunday with a family that already has a bitch so we will see how that goes. She's a fun little dog but is very, very closely bonded to her foster mom, and she hates to be crated. She was crated at the training center last night she broke out of a well built crate and did an impressive amount of damage for a forty pound dog.....

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 03-31-2012, 04:37 PM
Squishy face

That isn't unreasonable, IMO. Although you can tell people that the dog is DA and that you shouldn't take it to a dog park all you want, doesn't mean they won't still do it anyway. FOHA had a chow mix returned because they took her to a dog park and she got in a fight, even though we TOLD THEM from the start that she was NOT dog park material. I would focus on finding owners that aren't stupid, above all else. It seems to me that tons of people can't handle anything with a temperament "harder" than a golden retriever these days.

"Give thanks to God for being dog. He gave us the joy of angels." - Trixie Koontz, Dog, Trixie Treats & Holiday Wisdom - Christmas is Good!
Old 03-31-2012, 04:39 PM
Let it be

I think if it is in the dog's best interest it is fine. Better to strap that on and bend the rules for a truly unique situation vs putting her up as ok with other dogs if she is very selective.