Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 03-28-2012, 03:21 PM
Irritate with Caution!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyfalcon View Post
Why are you trying to go off grid?

Cost? Environment?

I've read that most of Ontario's energy is Hydo, so skipping electricity to burn a fossil fuel isn't necessarily very good for the environment.

Mostly to be independent of Hydro, also because for the amount of wood we'd need to heat, we'd be able to get just from fallen logs and thinning, we would not have to cut just to heat... Our Hydro system is IMO flawed, we pay more for delivery and retirement charges than our actual usage...

We also plan to have a good sized cold storage and grow as much of our own food, and raise as much of our own meat as possible, as much as for the quality as the savings... I was shocked to see the sodium content in commercial chicken breasts!!!

We are trying to do a variety of things, live more cost effectively, and healthier...

We are not doing it necessarily to be "green" but are recycling where quality material exsist to do so (such as two year old solid vinyl windows that were removed because they did not suit the new owner aesthetically)..

I find cost of living is getting horrid, we live on 400 acres and our plan is to make use of it...
Old 03-28-2012, 03:24 PM
Irritate with Caution!!

Thanks everyone I think it's cute! Small but functions.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
How awesome!

Have you looked into that heating system that runs water lines that store hot water underneath the floors?
We have a friend who just recommended that to us, going to find out more!
Old 03-28-2012, 06:17 PM
Top Dog

It's cute as a bug's ear. But I noticed something: There's no back door. Or are you adding one? That's usually against most building codes and very dangerous in case of a fire. You could easily put one in at the back end of the great room there...maybe a french door. Anyhow, it's very pretty and I think you are going to have lots of fun doing this project. Very exciting. Can't wait to see it unfold. And congratulations too!
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 03-28-2012, 06:22 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

How many square feet will it be total with a basement? Close to 1000 at that point?
It's SO cute from the front. For some reason it makes me think of the house in Up!

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 03-28-2012, 06:28 PM
Irritate with Caution!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
How many square feet will it be total with a basement? Close to 1000 at that point?
It's SO cute from the front. For some reason it makes me think of the house in Up!
Likely more than 1000 once we add the Living Room off the back, IMO not that "Tiny" LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doberluv View Post
It's cute as a bug's ear. But I noticed something: There's no back door. Or are you adding one? That's usually against most building codes and very dangerous in case of a fire. You could easily put one in at the back end of the great room there...maybe a french door. Anyhow, it's very pretty and I think you are going to have lots of fun doing this project. Very exciting. Can't wait to see it unfold. And congratulations too!
Yes there will be a set of garden doors on the back, and once we build the living room on it will become an opening between the rooms and the garden doors will get moved to the Living Room, there will actually also be a side door going into a mudroom where the current "kitchen" is.. We are using the entire Great room as kitchen dining space and finishing a rec room in the basement for the first year as our living room (once we build the LR on, the rec room will become a spare room for company as well)
Old 03-28-2012, 09:00 PM
Top Dog

Sounds awesome!!!
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson