Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 03-28-2012, 02:22 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

Depo didn't give me any terrible side affects like weight gain, thinning hair or anything, but it killed the reason I was on BC And it's still screwed with my sex drive and I've been off it for about two years now.

I'd like to get an IUD but I've heard a lot of Drs won't do that if you've never had children, and it can cause some pretty serious cramping?
Old 03-28-2012, 02:35 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

I was on Mirena for a while and never had kids. I believe somebody in a previous Mirena discussion said the reason they would rather use it for women who've already had children is it's easier to place?
I never had any cramping while on it beyond the first few days (it's a foreign object so your body tries to force it out.) I had a few other side-effects though. Nothing too terrible, but the constant "check the strings and make sure it hasn't moved through your uterus wall!" got to me and I had it removed after six months or so I think it was. I've heard other people say "oh, my doctor never told me to check the strings! I never check the strings!" Lucky them... guess they never read the informational booklet either... I made the mistake of actually reading it. =P

I thought about trying Implanon but after having Nuvaring not work out and the Mirena not work out, I decided to just go back to depo since we knew it worked for me. So far I believe only one small study was done on Implanon and endometriosis and it was so-so as far as effectiveness went, so... I haven't ruled it out as a future option. I personally would rather do Implanon than Mirena I think, having already experienced Mirena.

Oh yeah, and it HURTS LIKE A MOTHER when they place it. "You'll feel some slight cramping..." By that she meant CRAMPING SO BAD YOUR UPPER BODY WILL CURL UP OFF THE TABLE IN RESPONSE. But beyond THAT and I think the first four days, I didn't have any more cramping. I didn't really have a lot of bleeding or spotting either. I bled for the first day, maybe two, after it was placed? I think that's all?

Mirena and depo are both progestin though. Mirena is a different type of progestin, IIRC that's the only one that contains that particular type. But I would be worried that since depo killed your sex drive, Mirena might do the same... =/ FWIW Implanon is also progestin based...

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie OA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 03-28-2012, 02:53 PM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

I've been on depo.. 12ish years straight. Get a bone scan every two. Haven't bled in 11, so don't miss it. Possibility of sterility in time, I'm all for never having kids. I did lightly spot the first year, and managed to pack on 30 pounds in those 12 years. It can increase hunger, it likely did for me. Finally down 26..

Have extremely thick hair, have had no thinning.

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H SD-S (SP)
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground

Old 03-28-2012, 07:09 PM
Behavior Nerd

CD my doc did say they hesitate to place it in women who haven't had kids 1. because it's harder to place (holy OUCH!), and 2. they make uterine infections more of a risk and that's a higher risk if you aren't in a committed relationship. But she still placed it for me.

I've not had cramping to speak of except right after it was placed (bad, but normal for me, period like cramping for 24-48 hours), the actual placement suuuuucked but was still worth it. I don't check the strings but DH basically does so yea that's not a huge issue for me; the only thing that causes periodic worry is when I feel "off" for some reason I tend to freak out and worry about being pregnant since there's a 0.02% chance of it happening and I don't have periods to go by with on the IUD.

Old 03-28-2012, 08:40 PM
Top Dog

I first got Mirena when I was 19, no kids. I took an aspirin or two before the insertion and I didn't find it terribly painful. I had cramps (light) for the first day or so, bled constantly for the first few months and spotted for a year until it just stopped completely and I haven't had a period since. Totally love it.

Crossbone - 2011 Cattle Pirate | Jack - 2004 Beaglador | Smallpox - 2014 Rat Terrier
Old 03-28-2012, 09:01 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

Do they have iuds without hormones? I can't recall ...
Old 03-28-2012, 09:08 PM
Behavior Nerd

Yep - the copper ones like Paragard; those actually work for 10 years, too!