Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 03-27-2012, 03:38 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Default Internet question

I'm moving into my apartment in August and it doesn't come with any kind of internet service, so if I want to be able to get online on my computer I need to get my own internet service.

I don't do anything online other than browse. I don't watch videos, I don't play games...I browse when I'm board, visit dog forums (), check my email, and google everything under the sun when writing papers. LOL So I don't need insanely high performance...what I do need is fairly cheap. I also don't need (or want) phone service or cable/dish TV. I'll stick an antenna on my TV and watch the whole three channels I might be able to get and I have my cell phone for all phone calls I need to make.

Worst comes to worst I can browse/check emails on my phone and either go to campus or go to my boyfriend's when I'm writing a paper and need to research things...but I'd really, really rather not.

At this point, after looking at the prices from some of Comcast's bundles, I'd be happy with dial up if it would be cheaper. LOL I have a year lease, so I'd want something that would last the year, but not require me to continue my service afterwards.

Old 03-27-2012, 03:53 PM
Top Dog

Think reallllllyyyyyy hard before getting dial-up. I had DSL (which is faster than dial-up) when I was dogsitting, and Chaz took foreverrrrrr to load (as did almost every website). Even if all you're doing is browsing, things still take longer to load because hardly anything is straight-up HTML anymore, it all has bits of other stuff in it. So many pictures on everything makes it slow to load. The Caliber forum I'm on won't load on DSL at all.

Also, if you don't have phone service, you can't have dial-up. So when you factor in a phone line AND dial-up internet, it's probably cheaper to get the cheapest cable internet option. Here it is, and you cna have cable internet without cable TV.
Old 03-27-2012, 04:04 PM
Super-Genius

You should at least consider the slower service offerings from Comcast. No need for a "package", just internet. If you have decent internet, you have every thing you need. (Hulu/Netflick for TV, etc...)
Romans 8:28

R.I.P my beloved Teddy, my "squishy monster". You will never be forgotten.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:37 PM
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckstop31 View Post
You should at least consider the slower service offerings from Comcast. No need for a "package", just internet. If you have decent internet, you have every thing you need. (Hulu/Netflick for TV, etc...)
This. Even the most basic Comcast will be more than adequate for all that stuff. Around here at least, basic Internet is like $20 a month too.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:49 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckstop31 View Post
Everything I was finding on Comcast's site said you had to have a phone service with them for the "special" internet price - and the normal price was too much.

ETA: For example, it looked like the basic internet package they are currently offering is $30 a month for six months, then it bumps up to $50 a month. I can't afford that.

I'm currently on DSL (Frontier) and don't really have any problems with it at all. Trying to watch things via streaming is a bit of a bitch sometimes and downloads/etc. aren't fun...but I don't do a lot of that stuff anyway and for my normal browsing it works just fine. And while I oooh and aaah while I'm at my boyfriend's with his high speed super awesome gaming fast Comcast deal-eo, I'm fine with my puny little DSL. lol

I was thinking about something through AT&T...was as cheap as $15 or $20 a month, price good for a year, no long term commitment/contract, no start up fee. But, the plan works like my phone internet does...I have X amount of "data" I can use per month (either 150GB or 250GB) and if I go over that amount, I'm charged for every X amount I go over. I have no idea how much I normally use a month to know if that would be a good idea for me or not.