Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 02-07-2005, 05:29 PM
Playful Husky Pup

Default Brothers having issues with his pup

As some of you know my older brother who's in his thirties finally got his first dog since his childhood who a few weeks a go a Picardy Shepard named Zero. I got a phone call earlier with my brother pleading for help. Zero is extremly smart and is doing well on his potty training or so my brother tells me. But my brother says that Zero is quite the chewer and thats putting it lightly. I guess he's left his mark on the couch legs, table corners, a movie case, a comb, the bottom of the entertainment center, his shoes, and a couple of his daughters barby dolls... Yeah if you have read my post in the general board you should know im not to good when it comes to chewing issues but i figured someone on here could give my some good advice to pass along so Zero can be alittle more enjoyable in the family.

Trust me my brother who is usually a very laid back person is at the end of his rope lol he needs help.

Pets name: Chaos

Pets name: Blue Moon

Pets name: Cajun

Pets name: Smoothie
Old 02-07-2005, 06:03 PM
MIiA

The only things I've found that work with Jake is keeping him occupied with other things like training him, playing with him, saying 'no' sharply to him when he starts on the slipper and then providing him with his rope soon after and praising him for chewing that. However far and away the best thing for Jake is to keep his mind occupied on something besides chewing (in otherwords, keeping him busy enough he doesn't have time to find the shoes or the table leg to chew on).
Old 02-07-2005, 06:29 PM
Felurian

Purdue, my First German Shepherd, cut his teeth on the leg of the walnut dining room table! Keep him busy, and lots and lots of toys to stick in his mouth when you take away something you don't want him chewing on. Lots of praise when he chews on the toys. Lots and lots of patience, lol.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 02-07-2005, 07:27 PM
no touchy

He could try Bitter Apple Spray, but some dogs actually like the tast . My advice is to keep him on a leash and when he is off-leash in the house and chews on something, redirect him to a chewy toy like a kong.
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.
Old 02-07-2005, 07:36 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

i truly believe the only thing left to do..and it is a lot harder to teach the family. then it is the dog...pick it up and put it all away just like you would with a toddler in the house. I have a wooden box called the shoe box which is drug out everytime we do a puppy. Make sure he has his own "things" then keep your eye on him. Replace what he cant with what he can until he gets it through his head. IT takes a bit of effort on everybody's part, but it does work.
Old 02-07-2005, 07:48 PM
Playful Husky Pup

thanks everyone those are good ideas and I will let Benjie know

Pets name: Chaos

Pets name: Blue Moon

Pets name: Cajun

Pets name: Smoothie