Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Agility and Dog Sports

Old 03-25-2012, 11:45 PM
Kaleidoscopic Eye

For your first question, yes! GSDs are athletic, energetic, and intelligent. I've seen some great GSDs in agility. Certain lines, though, I'm not even sure how they walk, let alone jump, but that's a whole other topic.
I recommend the book "Control Unleashed." It's directed towards agility, but there are lots of confidence and impulse control exercises in there that are great whether you do agility or not.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:51 AM
Top Dog

Just a side note when looking for a place to train.

Make sure the facility offers instructors that can prove that they compete and to a high level. That their students do very well too. Lots of people out there that have some equipment but don't have any or little success in the competitive ring or did many years ago. Agility is very progressive and trainers/instructors have to be up on the current information and able to apply it.
Even if you don't want to compete, why settle on a mediocre or worse trainer? You don't have to pay top dollar or be with a 'name' but finding a good instructor is the difference between someone with the knowledge and skill to avoid frustration for you and your dog. And the ablility to problem solve, instead of saying those dreaded words, 'Just do it again'........with no feed back or how to fix the problem or better yet how to avoid it in the first place

Good luck!!! oh yeah, and be warned.........Agility can be VERY addicting lol.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:42 AM
Agility freak!

I bought a GSD puppy with the intention of some serious agility. Of course, after being a pet. So yep, they sure can do it! And it makes me incredibly happy to see GSDs out doing it!

And a basic obedience class never hurts anything, I don't feel. But that said, like someone has mentioned, some classes do teach the basic focus stuff in their foundations, however, the dogs are generally expected to know sit, stay, etc., I believe.

Zoey - Mini Aussie / Psyche - Border Collie / Simi - GSD
Forever Missed Bella - GSD [03-11-07 - 09-17-10]
Going For 'Good Dog!' Blog
Old 03-26-2012, 08:46 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEM View Post
okay, i'll have to work on him with that, and see where it goes, because i'd like to get him into something he can enjoy, you know, besides fetch.
Use this at home. If he loves fetch, turn it into obedience fetch. he has to sit, you throw the ball, he has to heel, you throw the ball. he has to run out around something, you throw the ball. He earns his fetch. It's fun, a game, and you can do it at home. When you become so fun to him, distractions won't be an issue. you'll work thru them easy enough.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:24 AM
Agility freak!

Quote:
Originally Posted by release the hounds View Post
Use this at home. If he loves fetch, turn it into obedience fetch. he has to sit, you throw the ball, he has to heel, you throw the ball. he has to run out around something, you throw the ball. He earns his fetch. It's fun, a game, and you can do it at home. When you become so fun to him, distractions won't be an issue. you'll work thru them easy enough.
Crash's obedience came SO far by doing this. He loves loves loves to fetch, and so he does something for the ball, always. He has to come (so I would throw it, and even though he was naturally coming back, I'd say "Crash, here!" and big "yay! good boy!" when he brought me the ball), he has to sit, down, circle work a little bit, etc.. He is always working for it. And recently I've started using the ball as his reward for his agility training, and he's really loving it.

Zoey - Mini Aussie / Psyche - Border Collie / Simi - GSD
Forever Missed Bella - GSD [03-11-07 - 09-17-10]
Going For 'Good Dog!' Blog
Old 03-26-2012, 09:44 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by release the hounds View Post
This! Teaches dogs to think when they are "high". I also agree 100% with what Ado said, also, go watch some classes. Are the dogs happy and relaxed? Watch a foundations class, are they boosting the dog's confidence or forcing them on equipment? Taking an obedience class at the facility you want to take foundations at is also a good thing because you will get to see their methods first hand and decide if they are a good fit.

Taboo, Zuma, Mighty Mouse, Zinga, Edgar, Zip Tie