Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 03-22-2012, 10:37 PM
Top Dog

Most yogurts carried in stores are pretty processed and do not have as much activity as say a good homemade yogurt (or kefir is even better!) Also, with many dogs having lactose intolerance, even though most of the lactose in converted in the culturing, it can still bother dogs.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:46 PM
Top Dog

I've been using this daily for my GSD as she has an on and off problem with colitis.

http://www.renewlife.com/digestive-s...e-stomach.html

I stopped using it for a while as I didn't think it mattered, but when she was off it she did end up with the colitis, and when I put her back on it I haven't seen another bout of it. If one of my dogs gets the runs I will give them a dose and it usually rights them pretty quickly. I haven't compared it to anything else, but it's worked for my purposes.

Old 03-22-2012, 10:48 PM
Bite me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmagick View Post
Most yogurts carried in stores are pretty processed and do not have as much activity as say a good homemade yogurt (or kefir is even better!) Also, with many dogs having lactose intolerance, even though most of the lactose in converted in the culturing, it can still bother dogs.

Ok makes sense.

What about a refrigerated after opening product like Missing Link?
Old 03-22-2012, 10:50 PM
Top Dog

I have heard good things about missing link.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:52 PM
Bite me.

Thank you all! I love forums for questions and answers like this.

Now...can I bring up PREbiotics? hehehehe

And the darn odds that we bring home TWO puppies housed together in Holland until 9 weeks, but only one (Asten) has Lymes.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:54 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Payton is currently on Forti-flora. I hate that he's on it but I needed something right away, and it was slightly cheaper than Culturelle which was my other option. So far so good, no pudding poops at all since he's been on it, but I have yet to start loading him with training treats which may in fact be the culprit more than the need for a probiotic. I am looking to switch him off it onto something better though - I'm almost through the box so now is the time to switch.

There was a member here ages ago (Redeyre) who recommended a good one, particularly when people were switching onto raw, but I can't remember what it was and would have to go slogging through old posts to try and find it. It may have been Nature's Farmacy DOGZYMES but I can't swear for sure. =/

ETA: I just searched for DOGZYMES and yup, Nature's Farmacy is what she swore by. I may order some for Pay...

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 03-22-2012, 11:00 PM
Bite me.

There is Nature's Farmacy West here in my town, we've fed the Dogzymes before. The base is Parmesan cheese, I think, though.

Again, a non-refrigerated product though. I think I still have some on the shelf (I don't throw ANYTHING away) let me look at it.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:26 PM
Top Dog

*Bump*

I've decided that Keegan needs probiotics and I'm trying to figure out what to get for him. Maybe other members have advice on this thread??
Old 04-13-2012, 10:33 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Well, after Payton ran out of the Forti-flora and then runny poo cropped right back up, I ordered the Digestive Enhancer from Nature's Farmacy. He's only been on it a week but so far I'm really happy with it. He hasn't even had poo-smelling farts like he sometimes would still get on Forti-flora. And no runny poo of course - we've even done some treat heavy training so I'm thrilled.
NO MORE RUNNY POO ON MY BEDROOM FLOOR YAY

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 04-14-2012, 06:09 PM
Top Dog

When Zander was all messed up from Blue, we gave him Pre and Pro -biotics. One was a white bottle w/ pink/purple cap that we picked up at the local farmers store, the other was from the vet, powdered form. Also gave him the "A" one that you keep in the fridge.

Yeah, sorry, one of those days. But I hoped that helped somewhat! Lol. We also mixed in whole(!) yogurt.

I did notice he did very well on all of them. I was expecting at least a 2-3 month recovery time(#@*$ Sibes and their sensitive GI) and he was ship-shape in maybe one month.