Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog News and Articles

Old 03-22-2012, 12:01 AM
Tru evil has no pantyline

Default Outrageous!

http://www.iolproperty.co.za/roller/...law_orders_pet

I actually have NO words for this?? What about breeders or show/sports people? Do I now live in a big brother country where my healthy, well cared for dogs are in danger of being impounded? What of all the township dogs roaming the streets being ignored while they spread disease?

I am beyond furious now. Why doesn't this government concentrate on more pertinent issues relating to animal legislation?

Run free my special angel. I love you and will miss you forever more. You touched everyone with your light.

Abusive ground RAW feeder since 2009

Blog---> http://bananarepublic-ct.blogspot.com/
Old 03-22-2012, 12:23 AM
Fishies!

As a commenter posted, welcome to the rest of the world.

Its been that way for most of the US for decades.
Old 03-22-2012, 12:31 AM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyfalcon View Post
As a commenter posted, welcome to the rest of the world.

Its been that way for most of the US for decades.
That. Not sure what the big deal is... either register your pets, or be prepared to face the consequences if you get caught.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 03-22-2012, 12:32 AM
Top Dog

I sort of understand why it was done...to have some leverage over animal hoarding situations...but coming from a family that owns multiple dogs, it really sucks to have a municipal tell you what you can have if they are healthy and happy. I really hate blanket laws. If I have the means to properly care for 8 dogs or 15 dogs or 30 dogs and keep them in compliance with registering and noise, I should be able to.

I get a bit annoyed every year when I send in my animals' registrations. I keep them in compliance with rabies laws...shouldn't that be enough? They are charging me $8-10 per animal per year so they don't have to do the footwork to check rabies (and to make money for the town). The business performing the rabies jabs should forward the info to each town.

Old 03-22-2012, 12:41 AM
Top Dog

I actually like the idea of regulating pets, and in particular, registering dogs.

There wasn't any system in place in Memphis, and the city was overrun with animals, dog fighters, and so on. Outside of Memphis, some places had limits, but they weren't enforced.

But where I live now? If you live in the city, I'm pretty sure there is dog limit(mostly depending on the type of housing), and every dog has to be registered with a $20 fee/year type of thing. Stray dogs? Nada. Every dog has an owner, and that owner WILL get fined for loose dogs. Breeders have to have a license to operate(it's a year-by-year thing..so if you don't have a litter that year, no big deal), and they have to register their pups by 6 weeks. I'm pretty sure they are limited in breeding animals as well, since it is in town. After 6 months, I think the pups are "counted" in their limit. I believe big commercial kennels are banned to out-of-city limits. I'd have to look at it again, I can't remember the numbers or anything.

But all in all, when enforced, it works. This area (minus out-of-city farm dogs, of course) isn't overrun and the shelter is pretty darn empty.
Old 03-22-2012, 12:42 AM
Top Dog

I don't see what the big deal is. It's been like that here forever. Breeders here generally apply for a kennel license and that's that. Hardly anyone gets turned down, even.

Quote:
They are charging me $8-10 per animal per year so they don't have to do the footwork to check rabies (and to make money for the town).
Here's it's $15-$46 depending on if the dog is speutered/chipped/fenced. One town near me has $10 for altered dogs, $100 for intact dogs, per year.
Old 03-22-2012, 04:24 AM
Tru evil has no pantyline

What bothers me is they are once again turning their sights onto law abiding citizens and ignoring the real issues. No one is going to go into townships to regulate dog ownership.

Its is purely a money making gambit. They also state that if you breed or show, move to a small holding. I'm sorry, I don't have the money for a small holding. My dogs are cared for and happy. Just try and take my dogs, there will be one heck of a fight on their hands!

Run free my special angel. I love you and will miss you forever more. You touched everyone with your light.

Abusive ground RAW feeder since 2009

Blog---> http://bananarepublic-ct.blogspot.com/
Old 03-22-2012, 06:59 AM
Blue_Dog

It's like that here too. Though to be honest it isn't often well enforced. I registered Sam this year for the first time because I wanted to take him to the dog park and I heard they sometimes have by-law officers come down doing random checks [s]when they're bored[/s] I mean to keep everything enforced and such. I've had Sam for almost 3 years and was never bothered about him never being registered before. And Blue before him we had for almost 7 years and he wasn't registered either.

It's more expensive to register an intact dog/cat too. And there are limits to how many you can have without the special permit or whatever it is. Not cool, but it's just the way it has been for years now.

My city also require annual rabies shots too, I figured that was more important. :P
Old 03-22-2012, 07:53 AM
Top Dog

I don't see a problem with it really, although in some cases it would be better going on a case by case basis. I wish we had some sort of registration for dogs her in the UK, things certainly couldn't get much worse than they already are.

My Photos
Old 03-22-2012, 08:07 AM
Top Dog

don't worry puppydog, you're not alone. It's nobody's business how many, what kind, intact or not or any other information about dogs I may or may not have.

If I abuse them, they have laws for that. If I starve them, they have laws for that. If they are loose, they have laws for that. If they bite, they have laws for that. If they bark too much, damage property, kill other animals, become a nuisance, etc, guess what? They have laws for that.

Other than that it doesn't do anything but generate some revenue. I haven't seen it do anything to stop hoarding, prevent free roaming dogs, stop nuisance barking, cut down on the number dogs in shelters or anything else.