Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 03-21-2012, 04:44 PM
My dog tickles my soul

I love our vet. The whole practice is awesome, but there are two doctors in particular that I usually request to see. One of them we joke is Morgan's "other mom". LOL! (She's the one he stayed with for a week after his blockage surgery a few years ago, so they had some good time to bond.)

They also know how to handle my evil genius cats, who yell and scream and throw tantrums, but everybody there knows they are all bark (meow?) and no bite. Ticheli is actually the unofficially designated "training cat" for the new techs that haven't learned how to deal with an "angry" cat. (He sounds angry, but doesn't DO angry. )

Anyways, if ever we are there for something other than a regular checkup, the vet we see always calls us a few days later to check in. Even if we end up at the late night e-vet, once the records are sent back one of the vets at our practice will call to follow up and make sure everything is okay.

They do have Hill's food products all over the place, but they've never pushed it on us. When I told them I was feeding grain-free kibble I was honestly praised for it. I doubt I would have any issue if I decided to try raw.

Oh, and they also had a flyer with a bunch of awesome advice for acclimating pets to a new baby! I was pretty impressed when they gave that to me last year!
Old 03-21-2012, 04:48 PM
Top Dog

LOVED our old vet, and the vet before. Both happened to be Equine vets as well, so I don't know if there is any correlation or not. But I loved them both, one just happened to be way cheaper than the other. As in, $100 for an e-visit and x-rays cheap. Or $60 for a spay cheap. Yeah. And she was superb! Had no issues with home visits, never pushed crappy food on us, was always "side of caution" type of vet, thought out of the box. Looooved her.

Wish I could have moved her up here with me! Lol.

But I haven't found a vet here that I like yet. I guess I got too spoiled, and now I'm too picky.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:48 PM
Top Dog

I absolutely love my vet. She's extremely knowledgeable about nutrition and supplements - her specialty is treating with diet and supplements (as opposed to medication and surgeries). She pushes limited vaccinations. She believes in leaving dogs intact until they're fully grown/matured. I email her questions all the time (what she thinks of a new supplement I've found, opinion on this veterinary article, etc), and we've had some great conversations about various things in the veterinary field - she really appreciates my genuine interest, and always is willing to discuss things with me.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:18 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustaLilBitaLuck View Post
her specialty is treating with diet and supplements (as opposed to medication and surgeries). S
THIS. I forgot. I love love love that my vet will pretty much try anything before medication -- and when it DOES come to medication, she's fine with my crazy wants and must-stay-away-froms (ie NO prednisone, I will pay 10X the price for another med before putting a pet on Prednisone -- and she knows this and doesn't even suggest Pred anymore)

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 03-21-2012, 07:26 PM
Top Dog

I actually just changed vets, so we will see. I had no issues with my old vet, but the prices were just so high compared to everyone else around here. Gusto's neuter was going to be nearly $150 more there than anywhere else. We had one visit with the new vet (who came recommended by friends). He and his staff were both very good about me saying "I don't vaccinate the older one for anything but rabies", was good with Meg, and didn't beat Gusto over the head with a shovel, which is what I was thinking of doing . So far, so good.