Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 03-15-2012, 04:54 PM
mutts

I understand what you are saying. I'm not offended I was just pointing how you slightly misspoke.
I never said that I would leave the dogs unsupervised (that was an assumption on your part?). I would not do that if I had poodles, golden retrievers or bichons either. Anything can happen. They would be crated when we sleep and when we have to leave the house. They would not be left alone ever and that wouldn't change even if I had different breeds.
I'm truly not worried about dog aggression being an issue as I am constantly supervising. I think supervision is key to successfully owning a dog (with kids especially).
I understand what you are saying and I appreciate the advice
Old 03-15-2012, 04:59 PM
mutts

I've owned dog aggressive dogs and typically they start showing it as early as 4 months. I had to work harder with them but they eventually became fairly comfortable around other dogs.
There are different reasons for aggression in every dog. Sometimes fear based, insecurity, lack of self esteem and just plain all out aggression. Different aggression require different training tactics and I DO honestly believe that if you train properly MOST of the time you can eliminate dog aggression.
Old 03-15-2012, 05:40 PM
APBT crazy!

~Tucker&Me~ is absolutely right. You cannot elimnate dog aggression in a dog that is naturally dog aggressive and was bred for it. That would be like saying you could eliminate retreiving in a Lab or herding in a Border Collie.

Not all APBTs and mixes are DA, but it does happen and you need to be prepared. You can NOT eliminate it if it's been bred into them for hundreds of years. It's just irresponsible leaving a dog known for dog aggression (even if your dog doesn't have DA..yet it's better to be safe than sorry.) alone with a puppy while you are not home. If you don't want to crate in rotate, just stick with one dog.
Old 03-15-2012, 05:49 PM
and Spy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutts View Post
I've owned dog aggressive dogs and typically they start showing it as early as 4 months. I had to work harder with them but they eventually became fairly comfortable around other dogs.
There are different reasons for aggression in every dog. Sometimes fear based, insecurity, lack of self esteem and just plain all out aggression. Different aggression require different training tactics and I DO honestly believe that if you train properly MOST of the time you can eliminate dog aggression.
It can show up early, but it can also show up later. I am actually surprised that most of the dogs you owned that became DA showed it that early. In my experience, it shows up mid-late adolescence and right around that 18 months mark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutts View Post
I understand what you are saying. I'm not offended I was just pointing how you slightly misspoke.
I never said that I would leave the dogs unsupervised (that was an assumption on your part?). I would not do that if I had poodles, golden retrievers or bichons either. Anything can happen. They would be crated when we sleep and when we have to leave the house. They would not be left alone ever and that wouldn't change even if I had different breeds.
I'm truly not worried about dog aggression being an issue as I am constantly supervising. I think supervision is key to successfully owning a dog (with kids especially).
I understand what you are saying and I appreciate the advice
I guess I assumed that part, you are right

The amount of supervision you do will not make your dog no longer DA... And imo, I think it's a bad idea to not consider the possibility that you may have to C&R because of your training and supervision. I guess we will have to agree to disagree though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehoundgirl View Post
~Tucker&Me~ is absolutely right. You cannot elimnate dog aggression in a dog that is naturally dog aggressive and was bred for it. That would be like saying you could eliminate retreiving in a Lab or herding in a Border Collie.

If you do not want to crate and rotate with the dog you have down the road, just don't get another since you have a dog that is prone to be DA.

Not all APBTs and mixes are DA, but it does happen and you need to be prepared. You can NOT eliminate it if it's been bred into them for hundreds of years. It's just irresponsible leaving a dog known for dog aggression (even if your dog doesn't have DA..yet it's better to be safe than sorry.) alone with a puppy while you are not home.
Just to clarify, I believe the OP said she did not plan to leave them alone when she couldn't supervise

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryMan View Post
I think u need some angry school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
That's what we do here. We're emotionally invested in each other and each other's dogs, the joys and the sorrows.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:02 PM
mutts

There is a possibility that she will become DA. Not saying its impossible. What I'm saying is that IF she does I'm confident in my ability to keep it under control.
No I will not be leaving them unsupervised IF I decide to get another dog.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:04 PM
mutts

Also-- if you hadn't read my earlier post, saying that she is a Pitbull is only a guess on our part. The only thing we know for certain is that she is Boston terrier.