Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 03-14-2012, 12:31 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michiyo-Fir View Post
What happens if you happen to be passing through a city with a pit bull ban by car?? What if there's no other way for you to get to wherever you need to go with your dog?

Really a person can't be expected to go through all the cities and go around all the ones with pit bans to get to where they want!!!
Well...that's exactly what I posted in my post. Royal City, in Washington has such a law. Some cities have the ban, but that doesn't apply to someone passing through in a car. This city goes as far as to butt their government noses into peoples' cars!
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 03-14-2012, 12:34 PM
Like a bat outa' hell

Quote:
What happens if you happen to be passing through a city with a pit bull ban by car?? What if there's no other way for you to get to wherever you need to go with your dog?

Really a person can't be expected to go through all the cities and go around all the ones with pit bans to get to where they want!!!
I was just thinking about this. I know that Tyler and I are wanting to go into Vancouver this summer and we probably will have to take the dogs.

And what if we take Mitzu and Teagan into Edmonton to visit friends. (I always take Teagan with me) Do I need to muzzle her for that as well??
Im having puppy play dates with a trainer and some other puppies with Mitzu in Edmonton. Do I need to put a muzzle on my 4 month old pit bull puppy?

So would I have to get a muzzle for Mitzu?

I guess I could say she is a Boxer mix. Ha ha, but honestly she looks 100% pit bull
Gah!!

Teagan Westhighland White Terrier
Panzer South African Boerboel Mastiff
Old 03-14-2012, 01:22 PM
Resident fainting goat

Quote:

I don't know about most places.. but in Miami, the ban is hardly enforced unless somebody calls and reports it. And even then, it takes a while for them to take you to court to have the dog removed or to have any kind of fine or whatever..

so passing by in a car wouldn't really be an issue.

Pit bulls are all over in the city.. dog parks, ads for them in the newspaper.. the ban is usually only enforced to simply simplify cases involving pitbulls once there is an issue.
AKA: this home is suspected of dog fighting.. WELL WE ARE TAKING THEM THEY ARE BANNED ANYWAY
there was a dog fight and this person/dog got bit.. WELL IT'S YOUR FAULT REGARDLESS BECAUSE THEY ARE BANNED ANWAY!

kind of thing.
Old 03-14-2012, 07:29 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayleyMarie View Post
I was just thinking about this. I know that Tyler and I are wanting to go into Vancouver this summer and we probably will have to take the dogs.

And what if we take Mitzu and Teagan into Edmonton to visit friends. (I always take Teagan with me) Do I need to muzzle her for that as well??
Im having puppy play dates with a trainer and some other puppies with Mitzu in Edmonton. Do I need to put a muzzle on my 4 month old pit bull puppy?

I guess I could say she is a Boxer mix. Ha ha, but honestly she looks 100% pit bull
Gah!!
I think you should be ok without. Out of all the pits I've seen only about 1/3 of them are actually muzzled. Also if you're not letting Mitzu go to a dog park or off leash place, it should be fine.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:40 PM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet72947 View Post
Virginia doesn't have BSL, we are one of several states who's state law bans such language from all county and city ordinances. However, Loudoun County Animal Care and Control puts down all pit bulls just for being pit bulls, and actually fought for their right in court to do so (and won, since there is no law prohibiting shelters from euthanizing whatever animal they feel like for whatever reason). Pretty much all the other shelters around here will adopt pit bulls to the public, but some of them have prohibitive requirements for adoption, such as fencing you must have, or must own your own home, etc.

ETA: I wanted to add that although there is no BSL, rentals and apartment complexes do have bans of breeds at their discretion. The complex I live in has quite a lengthy list.
I was actually at the protest for this case in front of the courthouse in Leesburg

I had actually put myself on the waiting list to be a volunteer at the LoCo shelter but when I found out about their policy I had to decline the offer...I also wrote them a nice long (but respectful) email explaining why I could not in good conscience give my time to a organization that would destroy healthy friendly dogs just based on breed
Old 03-14-2012, 08:59 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayleyMarie View Post

Gah!!
OT, but I would start acclimating her to a muzzle now, just in case. It will be SO much easier on both of you if you have her acclimated to one before you NEED one.
Muzzle training will be something I start with all future puppies, regardless of breed. It is such a valuable skill for a dog to have (ability to calmly wear a muzzle), and so often overlooked until you need it!

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 03-15-2012, 02:20 AM
Let it be

I cannot believe I did not know that about Vancouver and the Greater Van area considering I have lived there all my life excluding the last six months! All the more reason to stay here. That's so stupid.
Old 03-15-2012, 02:49 AM
...ice road...

In California, there is a law prohibiting breed bans. But, San Francisco has a spay/neuter ordinance specifically for Pit Bulls. The county I live in has a spay/neuter ordinance for any dog not registered with a kennel club.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:48 AM
Like a bat outa' hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWCorgi View Post
OT, but I would start acclimating her to a muzzle now, just in case. It will be SO much easier on both of you if you have her acclimated to one before you NEED one.
Muzzle training will be something I start with all future puppies, regardless of breed. It is such a valuable skill for a dog to have (ability to calmly wear a muzzle), and so often overlooked until you need it!
Yes, thats the plan. Im gonna start the search for one right away. Plus I might get her to wear one anyways once she gets bigger and she is around Teagan. For her their and ours.

Teagan Westhighland White Terrier
Panzer South African Boerboel Mastiff