Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 03-13-2012, 10:13 PM
mutts

Default Spaying=Aggression???

I have a nine month old female purebred mutt that I have not yet spayed. I have heard many people say that their female (not male) became aggressive or even began to have separation anxiety after being spayed. I know the health benefits to spaying but I also want to make sure it is also beneficial for her mentally/behaviorally.
I have two young children and I would never want her personality to change so drastically that she would become aggressive towards them.
If you have any personal experience with this or any information concerning this topic, please let me know!!!
Old 03-13-2012, 10:15 PM
Glutton for Crazy

There is a lot of debate around the topic but IME I have had more dogs altered without behavioral changes than ones with.

That said, I would alter around 1 year for a female or 6 months for a female that I could not ensure absolute safety against breeding.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:18 PM
Twin 2

My one female was spayed at 6 months (regret it very much) but she didn't show any turn towards aggresive behavior at all.

My family's female was spayed at 6 and her tolerance of other dogs went way down. She went from rather dog tolerant to not being allowed near dogs that are not our own house dogs or dogs she grew up with shortly thereafter and even now I watch her with my other female at all times carefully.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:21 PM
mutts

Well, she hasn't even had her first heat yet... I was thinking a year or a little over if I decided to do the spay surgery.
There was a website I went to once that stated that when they are spayed the testosterone in their body isn't balanced by the estrogen so essentially the testosterone dominates sometimes creating aggression. Any truth to this? I don't know where this website was.... It was a while ago...
Old 03-13-2012, 10:22 PM
I'm All Ears

Of my past dogs:

- Nikki was spayed at 7 years old and other than weight gain had no personality change (she was a bitch before and a bitch after lol)

- Rose was spayed at 2 and stayed the same but her hair grew a lot

- Summer was spayed at 4 and stayed the same, but grew a little more hair

- Mia was spayed at 1 year and didn't change as far as I can tell
Old 03-13-2012, 10:23 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutts View Post
Well, she hasn't even had her first heat yet... I was thinking a year or a little over if I decided to do the spay surgery.
There was a website I went to once that stated that when they are spayed the testosterone in their body isn't balanced by the estrogen so essentially the testosterone dominates sometimes creating aggression. Any truth to this? I don't know where this website was.... It was a while ago...
Summer and Rose are both spayed and are two of the mildest mannered dogs I've ever met.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:24 PM
mutts

Right now her personality is very submissive towards other dogs. She LOVES them. However, she is leery of strangers and slightly fearful. She also has slight separation anxiety. (Reverse of the stereotypical pit bull-- usually dog aggressive).
Old 03-13-2012, 10:26 PM
mutts

*note-- she is a mutt but her momma was definitely Boston terrier and her daddy definitely had some pit appearance. The only one breed we can pinpoint for certain is the Boston terrier
Old 03-13-2012, 10:30 PM
Just try me..

I think its only a worry with dogs that are ALREADY aggressive. The vast majority of bitches get altered with no adverse affects.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:39 PM
Are you dead yet?

Eve, who is dog-aggressive, was spayed at 4 and experienced a lot of weight gain and hair growth, but I have noticed no difference in her temperament thus far, and she's been spayed for over a year.