Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 03-13-2012, 03:24 PM
Top Dog

There is no BSL in my city, but Louisiana does have places where BSL exists.

With that said, unless your dog has actually put it's teeth on someone, then it should not be labeled as a "dangerous dog"'nor should it have it follow such accompanying laws.

Just because my dog was born an American Pit Bull Terrier doesn't mean he's dangerous.

I despise comparisons between dogs and humans, but I have no problems with such comparisons on this issue. If a person is born into a certain race/ethnicity, it doesn't mean he's inherently dangerous. And it sure doesn't mean he should have to have a "Guilty until proven innocent" sign slapped on his forehead and be forced to wear handcuffs and shackles when out in public.

Honestly, I'll euthanize my dogs before I force them to have to wear muzzles and keep them on 2-ft leads when out in public (much less oblige by any other asinine baseless laws).
Old 03-13-2012, 03:47 PM
Top Dog

My city doesn't believe in breed bans or raised fees for so called dangerous breeds thankfully. It can be harder to rent homes if you have a "dangerous" breed, but that has nothing to do with the city and everything to do with the person renting the place out. And some insurance companies won't accept you or will make things harder for you if you have a dangerous breed, but again, that's not the city.

Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Ripley
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN
Fennec - Tollwest Sugar Fox
[temporary puppy]
Old 03-13-2012, 05:04 PM
mutts

I live in small town in Saskatchewan and they are disallowing people from getting new pit bull or bully breeds BUT if you already had them then they will not remove them from your home. They are also disallowing-- Rottweilers, Doberman, Mastiffs, and Malamutes.
It's sad and silly. Some people shouldnt have these breeds (or any dog) but there are plenty of responsible owners that know what they are doing and how to handle their dogs.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:06 PM
Like a bat outa' hell

Edmonton the Major city that I live outside of has a bylaw:

Restricted Dogs
-Special regulations apply to some dogs, in addition to all other pet regulations, to protect public safety. The dogs that must follow these additional regulations are called “restricted dogs.”

-It is not illegal to own a restricted dog in Edmonton, as long as all regulations are followed.

Definition of Restricted Dog
Animal Licensing and Control Bylaw defines a "restricted dog" as any dog -that:

-Has chased, attacked or bitten any person or animal causing physical injury and resulting in a conviction under this bylaw.
-Has chased, attacked or bitten any person or animal on more than one occasion, with or without causing physical injury, and resulting in separate convictions under this bylaw.
-Has been the subject of an order under the
Alberta Dangerous Dogs Act.
-Is certified by an Alberta licensed veterinarian to be primarily of the Staffordshire Bull Terrier breed, as defined by the Canadian Kennel Club.
-Is certified by an Alberta licensed veterinarian to be primarily of the American Staffordshire Terrier breed, as defined by the Canadian Kennel Club.
Note: The restricted dog definition does NOT include any dog that is registered, or eligible for registration, with the Canadian Kennel Club as a purebred Staffordshire Bull Terrier or American Staffordshire Terrier.

Regulations and Fines
If you own or are caring for a restricted dog, there are special regulations that apply. Failure to comply with the regulations result in the following fines:

Regulation Description Fine
Licence
The licence fee for a restricted dog is $250 per year and the dog must have a valid licence. $500
Insurance You must have a minimum of $1 million liability insurance that specifically covers damages for personal injury caused by the restricted dog. $500

Off Property of Owner If you take the restricted dog off your property, you must ensure it is:
Under control
Muzzled
Held on a leash no longer than two metres
$500

On Property of Owner When the restricted dog is on your own property, you must have it kept one of the following ways at all times:
Indoors
Outdoors, secured in a fully enclosed pen
Outdoors, muzzled and secured by a chain fixed to the property that prevents the restricted dog from coming closer than two metres to the apparent boundary of the property
$500

Attacks* Property damage

Chase, attack or bite any person or animal

Chase, attack or bite any person or animal causing physical injury
$500
$500
$2500

So needless to say I am glad I don't live in Edmonton because I would have to pay a nice fee every year to have Mitzu, have her muzzled when we went off the property and kept her on a 2 feet leash.

And in Sparwood, BC where we are moving there is no laws!! YAY!!

Teagan Westhighland White Terrier
Panzer South African Boerboel Mastiff
Old 03-13-2012, 06:09 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Yep, Ontario does. APBT or any dog that so much as resembles an APBT must be leashed and muzzled at all times outside unless in your (fenced) private property.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 03-13-2012, 06:16 PM
Top Dog

The entire United Kingdom bans the following...

Quote:
It’s an offence to allow any dog to be dangerously out of control. For information on what ‘out of control’ means, see ‘Controlling your dog in public’.
In addition, the ownership of certain types of dog is banned:

Pit Bull Terrier
Japanese Tosa
Dogo Argentino
Fila Braziliero

It’s illegal to breed from, sell, abandon or give away a banned dog.
The legislation that covers dangerous dogs is the Dangerous Dogs Act 1991. Section 3 covers any breed, while Section 1 and 4b cover banned dogs.
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/HomeAndC...Pets/DG_180098

You CAN own a Pit Bull, but only if it is licensed, kept on a lead at all times outdoors, muzzled, microchipped, tattooed, neutered and obviously, never bred from. But very few people/dogs will actually be granted the license.

My Photos
Old 03-13-2012, 06:24 PM
Squishy face

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayleyMarie View Post
-Is certified by an Alberta licensed veterinarian to be primarily of the Staffordshire Bull Terrier breed, as defined by the Canadian Kennel Club.
-Is certified by an Alberta licensed veterinarian to be primarily of the American Staffordshire Terrier breed, as defined by the Canadian Kennel Club.

Note: The restricted dog definition does NOT include any dog that is registered, or eligible for registration, with the Canadian Kennel Club as a purebred Staffordshire Bull Terrier or American Staffordshire Terrier.
So, if you have a mix your dog is restricted, but purebreds are ok?

"Give thanks to God for being dog. He gave us the joy of angels." - Trixie Koontz, Dog, Trixie Treats & Holiday Wisdom - Christmas is Good!
Old 03-13-2012, 06:30 PM
Resident fainting goat

In my building for example, with bully breeds (other than APBT obviously) pure-breds with papers proving parentage (AKC and CanKC only) are allowed but mixes/unregistered dogs of those same allowed bully breeds are not.

I guess the idea is that if the dog is a purebred and you have "papers" you know the pedigree/parentage so it's less likely the dogs parents were aggressive or the dogs parents had "issues".

Disclaimer: I work for Trupanion and love it/our policy! But I do not speak for the company or as the company.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:14 PM
such sights to show you

It's my understanding that Minnesota has a state law that prohibits individual counties or cities from passing BSL. Minneapolis does have a dangerous dog law, but it's based on an individual dog's bite history, not breed.

Old 03-13-2012, 08:25 PM
Let it be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michiyo-Fir View Post
I'm in BC... Do most of Canada have these kind of laws??
Where the heck in BC is that the law? Is it new? This totally flew over my head and that scares me!