Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 03-13-2012, 01:20 PM
Top Dog

Default "dangerous breed" laws in your city?

Do you guys have laws for what the city has deemed "dangerous breeds?"

Our city specifies that dogs have to be licensed and the fee for "dangerous breeds" per year is $255 for intact "dangerous dogs" and $204 for desexed "dangerous dogs."

The definition of dangerous dog here other than dogs that have a bite history is

"a Pit Bull Terrier, American Pit Bull Terrier, Pit Bull,
Staffordshire Bull Terrier, American Staffordshire
Terrier, or any dog of mixed breeding which
includes any of these breeds; or any dog which
has the appearance and physical characteristics
predominantly conforming to the standards for
any of the above breeds"

Also, this is what gets to me. It says that ALL dogs of the above mentioned breeds must be on a leash and muzzled at all times unless in your own private property.

What do you guys think about that law?? I don't think all pit mixes should be muzzled when out in public. That's just ridiculous...
Old 03-13-2012, 01:43 PM
ಥ⌣ಥ

All of Ontario does yes. But, it is close to being overturned. People are seemingly finally getting their %@#% together and using common sense. So close, so very close.

My Polyvore
Old 03-13-2012, 01:45 PM
Top Dog

I'm in BC... Do most of Canada have these kind of laws??
Old 03-13-2012, 01:46 PM
ಥ⌣ಥ

I don't believe so, no. I think MOST of Canada is smarter than that, luckily.

My Polyvore
Old 03-13-2012, 01:51 PM
Resident fainting goat

Pit Bull Law

It is illegal in Miami-Dade County to own or keep American Pit Bull Terriers, American Staffordshire Terriers, Staffordshire Bull Terriers, or any other dog that substantially conforms to any of these breeds' characteristics. For more information, view the Miami-Dade County ordinance, Chapter 5, Sec. 5-17.

There is a $500 fine for acquiring or keeping a pit bull dog and court action to force the removal of the animal from Miami-Dade County.

and the full oridinance is here: http://www.miamidade.gov/animals/lib...2_pit_bull.pdf
(don't read if you are easily angered)

Basically, dogs are confiscated if found. Temperament tested and I believe are kept at the shelter for 5 days. 5 days to either be adopted out outside the city or put down.
Old 03-13-2012, 01:51 PM
APBT crazy!

There isn't any in our town, thankfully.
Old 03-13-2012, 01:58 PM
Top Dog

A few towns in MA have BSl. Most of the laws have a limit on the number of pit bulls allowed per household (1 or 2), require spay/neuter of pit bulls, require a special liscence or liability insurance, require a sign on the property warning that they have pit bulls, and require them to be leashed and muzzled off property. Two towns have them banned.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 03-13-2012, 02:10 PM
Squishy face

Virginia doesn't have BSL, we are one of several states who's state law bans such language from all county and city ordinances. However, Loudoun County Animal Care and Control puts down all pit bulls just for being pit bulls, and actually fought for their right in court to do so (and won, since there is no law prohibiting shelters from euthanizing whatever animal they feel like for whatever reason). Pretty much all the other shelters around here will adopt pit bulls to the public, but some of them have prohibitive requirements for adoption, such as fencing you must have, or must own your own home, etc.

ETA: I wanted to add that although there is no BSL, rentals and apartment complexes do have bans of breeds at their discretion. The complex I live in has quite a lengthy list.

"Give thanks to God for being dog. He gave us the joy of angels." - Trixie Koontz, Dog, Trixie Treats & Holiday Wisdom - Christmas is Good!

Last edited by Sweet72947; 03-13-2012 at 02:51 PM.
Old 03-13-2012, 02:17 PM
Glutton for Crazy

We have a mandatory spay and neuter after 4 months. Not the same but many associate the two.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 03-13-2012, 02:22 PM
Top Dog

There is BSL on the base.

No dobermans, any bully breeds, hybrids, Akitas, Chows, and recently Sibes. They grandfathered Zander in. They also term "aggressive behavior" by running the fence, escaping, barking, other random dog things. It's stupid, how "selective" these breeds are. Sibes, but not Malamutes? Really? Dobes, but not GSDs? It's stupid.

Great Falls itself has no BSL as far as I know. But they do require your dog to be licensed and recorded with the city. It's a smaller fee. $20 for neutered dogs, maybe $40 for intact? Think there is also a breeding clause in there. I haven't looked at it since moving on base. But the system works. The amount of running dogs is very minimal. Owners get fined for loose dogs, I think. Most of the dogs in our shelter are from out of town, from the farms and ranches.