Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 03-10-2012, 12:49 PM
I'm All Ears

Default A cheap Window's computer

So I have a Macbook and it works great for most things. However, at work my computer is Windows and I am getting more and more used to it. I find I get home and the mac frustrates me a lot. There is also a lot of trouble when I try to remote log in to the company's website and my work computer due to nothing being written with macs in mind.

I still want to keep the macbook for basic internet surfing. I think I want a new laptop though to use to do work stuff and I want something that can run Corel Draw. I've tried a lot of art programs and Corel is my favorite for outlining things in. I use it at work all the time and have borrowed my coworker's Corel some to play with. But I can't run it on my computer. I don't know how to decide how much computer you would need for a program like that. As of now, that would be all I'd be using the computer for.

I just don't have that much money to throw out there for a good computer, plus the money for Corel. How much do laptops usually run now? Is there a laptop that is powerful enough to run a graphics program like Corel that is not very expensive?
Old 03-10-2012, 12:58 PM
Behavior Nerd

What about getting a program that allows you to run Windows on your Mac?

Old 03-10-2012, 01:09 PM
I'm All Ears

I didn't even think about that at all. I was wondering though if it would be even more expensive to do that? How much does it cost? Plus I have mac specific software I don't want to lose (Adobe Creative Suite)
Old 03-10-2012, 01:19 PM
Top Dog

There is Boot Camp but you still need to buy a copy of windows.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boot_Camp_%28software%29
Old 03-10-2012, 01:21 PM
Behavior Nerd

IIRC there are several options for software that lets you maintain a Windows platform on a Mac - the cheapest is around $75, most expensive around $200 iirc. The platforms run separately so you won't lose anything on the Mac, just switch back and forth between the two setups on the same computer.

Old 03-10-2012, 05:07 PM
Dafuq?

I don't know about running windows on a Mac, but I bought a computer off Ebay for about $90 with the shipping included. Its what I'm using right now. Came with (albeit an older version of) Windows installed and ready to use. I added a second TB hard drive and a RAM upgrade, parts which cost me probably about $100. (The HD was off my old computer, the RAM upgrade I bought off Amazon for $30). Well worth the $$$ so far, after Best Buy denied me financing to get a new computer.

ETA: I realize I'm talking about a desktop and you referred to laptops, but its what I've got. LOL

Now entering the land of hypnotic signatures...
Old 03-10-2012, 05:48 PM
Silence! I ban you!

Run a VM. VMWare Fusion is 50 bucks.

http://www.vmware.com/products/fusion/overview.html
Old 03-11-2012, 10:48 AM
*Now with Snark*

My next windows PC will be from costco most likely. I'm expecting to spend about $600-700
Old 03-11-2012, 11:16 AM
Felurian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddieq View Post
Run a VM. VMWare Fusion is 50 bucks.

http://www.vmware.com/products/fusion/overview.html
This is what my dad has on his Mac. Works better than the dedicated Windows computers, lol. WAY faster. The expensive Dell, as a matter of fact, is now dead, and I'm praying my files can be salvaged from the hard drive. It died suddenly, without warning.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 03-11-2012, 11:45 PM
Ferret Keeper

If you run windows on Mac it will be great, Im not sure how much those programs cost(never owned a mac) If you decide to get a windows machine I can tell you one things. If you want to run some harsh graphics programs, make sure what ever laptop/desktop you buy has a graphics cards and not just an chipset. Though chips sets have come along way , they are still nowhere near to par of a good card. Lots of laptops will have cards versus chipsset. With a laptop its even more important to make sure its a card as you cannot add one later like you can with a desktop