Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 03-09-2012, 07:00 AM
Just try me..

I like the plain. But then again I come from the world of english horse riding and always thought the western need to bling up their horses was not tasteful lol (and these beaded leashes have nothing on western show gear that I swear is so incredibly distracting from the horse! So I get what Leah is saying totally)

That said I think it depends on the breed. JRTs are a very no fuss breed. Beads etc would look a bit silly IMO. Whippets on the other hand seem to be shown in blingier stuff. I show both on the same combo so meh. I have a gold coloured snake chain with a thin black nylon show lead (no snap) I also have a gold coloured one piece (mendota I think) nylon show lead that doesn't tighten around the neck for puppies.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:38 AM
Lord Cynical

Quote:
Originally Posted by kady05 View Post
You really think having a colored lead is disrespectful to the judges? Sorry I want to have a little fun in the conformation world with a lead that I think is pretty! It's not like I'm putting flashing lasers all over my dog. He doesn't *need* a fancy lead to be noticed (he has quite a bit of flash all on his own), but *I* like it, so I use it.
What about the handlers that come out in brightly colored suits, or silly hats, etc.? I'd say those are a lot more distracting than a thin 3' lead!

FWIW, I've had numerous judges tell me they liked my lead, and that it was tastefully done.. UKC & AKC.. so.. yeah.
No, not disrepectful - just a not as tasteful, even if the lead is well made. FWIW, I feel the same way about the sequined baseball caps and neon silk vests with bedazzlements that some people feed the need to wear. It's just my opinion (and we're all welcome to have one) - and my opinion is based on what I have learned from my mentors. As I said above, you have to take into account what breed I show. There are plenty of judges who are "nice" in other breeds, but when they're judging Dobermans the kid-gloves come off. It is a whole different ballgame when you show a breed as notoriously competitive as Dobermans.

(I hope a judge never comments on my lead - I want their undivided attention on the dog. I don't want them to notice the lead at all.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post
I like the plain. But then again I come from the world of english horse riding and always thought the western need to bling up their horses was not tasteful lol (and these beaded leashes have nothing on western show gear that I swear is so incredibly distracting from the horse! So I get what Leah is saying totally)

That said I think it depends on the breed. JRTs are a very no fuss breed. Beads etc would look a bit silly IMO. Whippets on the other hand seem to be shown in blingier stuff. I show both on the same combo so meh. I have a gold coloured snake chain with a thin black nylon show lead (no snap) I also have a gold coloured one piece (mendota I think) nylon show lead that doesn't tighten around the neck for puppies.
I 200% agree Dekka. JRTs are a no-fuss breed and beads would look silly on them, and since this thread is for a Malinois, I'd say that Mals are a no-fuss breed as well. A mal with a glitzy lead would look a bit silly, I'd imagine!

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 03-09-2012, 10:02 AM
Top Dog

I sometimes show Judge and when I do, I want him to be taken seriously. My mentors for showing, own Samoyeds 1 of which has been to the Eukanuba invitational 2x, recommend plain and simple so as not to distract from the dog.

GSDs are VERY competitive. I show Judge for the ring experience for myself so that I am more comfortable when I get my next dog which will be shown to a CH. I do think that some breeds can pull off the glitzy leads while others look silly. I think a GSD or a Mal with a glitzy lead would look silly. Some of the GSDs I know are shown in Fursaver collars and simple leads.
The OldMan Hobie-CGC Rotten Old Dog 11/14/99-01/08/2013
Talulajhs RedChrome Kahpone-CGC TT BH TDI 10/31/04-06/07/10.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:12 AM
Crazy Dog!

I too, agree with SizzleDog. I was always taught not to distract from the dog. I use a silver choke chain (snake or fine link) and I usually use a leather lead the same color as the dog. With ACD's it's either brown or black leather.

I personally prefer a snap lead, but now that I've seen the way Sizzle uses her non-snap leads I may switch. I just didn't like having to wrestle the leads off of the collars after I showed. Not every dog wears the same size collar and I hated when the lead got cinched so tight on the collar ring it was hard to get off.

That said, I do have one lead that has bling. Just one silver bead with some amber colored jewels in it. A friend bought it for me as a birthday gift and I do love it. She knows I hate flashy stuff like that but thought it was subtle enough, and I do like it. I think it was tastefully made and I use it, but again, I honestly prefer a plain lead so as not to distract from the dog.