Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 03-07-2012, 09:41 PM
Top Dog

Ahh Ac, I started some seedlings the begining of Feb and I like in zone 5. So what does that tell you. LOL Yeaaaaa about getting to put in a small veggie garden. I finally got to put one in last summer.

Old 03-07-2012, 09:59 PM
Top Dog

I don't think I'll have a garden this year, but hopefully if we find a place I will be able to get some land prepped for a garden

Peco,
Male Lacy Game Dog
June 2003 - Feb. 2012

Hudson,
Male black & white English Shepherd
August 27th 2012

Blog - http://thedogreviews.blogspot.com/
Old 03-07-2012, 10:17 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Goal is to put in a few fruit trees this spring and a few raised beds. Trying to find a reasonable source for lumber, pricewise...ack!

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 03-07-2012, 10:52 PM
Glutton for Crazy

I just planted a new rosemary, a sweet broom bush, and two flowering plants that I already forgot the names of. D'oh.

I don't know what is next but I want to plant more!

Any dog-resistant extra yummy smelling plants you recommend for the dog run? I did use rosemary before but the dogs killed them.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:35 AM
Top Dog

I had a large garden for years but then found we weren't using half of what we grew and I really didn't have time to maintain it, plus our resident woodchuck was doing a job on it. Last year I just did peppers and tomatoes in pots but I did miss my cucumbers. We got a new farmers market in town so I think I will make a habit of stopping in once a week. I hate buying veggies at the supermarket and finding grown in the US is harder and harder. I have strawberries that grow every year and one of my dogs eats them every year, but they are small ones and almost not worth me picking anyway.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:25 AM
<--------Orson

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakash View Post
Our garden is already up and going for the most part. We have had Kale growing all winter, and it will continue to grow and we can harvest it until late summer when it just gets too hot. We've got some beans growing, and some sweet peas, but they were started a little late. Same with our lonely tomato plant. I think we also have some swiss chard growing.

At the end of the month, or april, we go to a plant sale where there are flowers for really low prices, and that is how we start our flower garden. I'll try and get some pictures up for you guys.
Yes! PICTURES are always awesome! That goes for all of you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
I just planted a new rosemary, a sweet broom bush, and two flowering plants that I already forgot the names of. D'oh.

I don't know what is next but I want to plant more!

Any dog-resistant extra yummy smelling plants you recommend for the dog run? I did use rosemary before but the dogs killed them.
Mint? I normally have some chocolate mint setting out by the dog kennel I do leave it in the pot though because mint runs away from you and is very difficult to keep under control, LOL........but it's a good smelling plant and it doesn't attract bees! (which is hard to avoid with good smelling flowers!)
Old 03-08-2012, 09:13 AM
Walks into Mordor

GARDENING!! Coop, that's so exciting to hear about a potential greenhouse! Pics are necessary.

I'm in zone 8. I started my seedlings at the beginning of February, and they're looking quite nice. I have a big garden, so I have about 140 seedlings waiting for summer planting. Plus, I have cucumbers and a bunch of squash to be direct sown. Right now, I have my spring veggies - broccoli, onions, carrots and spinach - already growing well. My broccoli is starting to produce, so I'm all excited.

But ugh, the WEATHER this year! Usually, temperatures don't start really warming up until at least mid-March. It's been getting warm since February! And by warm, I mean in the 70s and 80s during the day. It's ridiculous. This is the FIRST time I've tried a spring garden, and it's already getting too hot for it! I'm just praying my broccoli doesn't bolt, my spinach doesn't go bitter, and my carrots don't go woody. Blagh.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:54 AM
Love my pets

Gave up with gardens down here after 3 unsuccessful years of bugs eating my plants. My neighbor has to put down lots of chemicals which I don't want to do.

It's warmed up so much that my neighbors have already mowed their lawns. I guess we need to buy gas for the mowers!