Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 03-06-2012, 10:03 PM
orange iguanas.

I agree with Fran.

It doesn't have to be black and white. A breeder can gush about their dogs as pets AND still emphasize their titles and health testing. I want both. Producing good dogs isn't the only important thing... I mean, I still want to be satisfied with the conditions they're being raised in before I give them my money and support anything. I'm not saying kennels = crappy conditions. I'm just saying I'm not going to purchase from a breeder JUST because I like the dogs they produce.

But I think I mentioned at the beginning of the thread that Juno's breeder had kennels with indoor/outdoor access. Just so she didn't have all the dogs loose at one time. They were still house dogs. So I can't really form a judgment about using kennels cuz it totally depends on how they're being used.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006
Old 03-06-2012, 10:23 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran101 View Post
Again, totally not saying that good breeders have dogs in the house and bad breeders use kennels.
We all know that isn't true.

Animal hoarders anyone?..

just saying, on my list, on breeds I like.. I like to look for living in the house.
and if i were looking to get a maltese or chihuahua etc, being house dogs would carry a lot more weight.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:29 PM
Resident fainting goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops2 View Post
and if i were looking to get a maltese or chihuahua etc, being house dogs would carry a lot more weight.
I was looking at australian shepherd breeders, but still, I do see your point lol
Especially with hunting dogs, livestock guardians, working stock dogs etc.. I can totally see why living inside the home would carry a different weight.

The aussies I went with are show/obedience/agility dogs etc..so I did love that they lived in the home, it made sense..First and foremost, the temperament/working temperament I wanted is conducive to being a house dog.

but if I was looking at a different breed/breed type (more serious working lines), I can certainly see why being a house dog would carry a different weight.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:59 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran101 View Post
I was looking at australian shepherd breeders, but still, I do see your point lol
Especially with hunting dogs, livestock guardians, working stock dogs etc.. I can totally see why living inside the home would carry a different weight.

The aussies I went with are show/obedience/agility dogs etc..so I did love that they lived in the home, it made sense..First and foremost, the temperament/working temperament I wanted is conducive to being a house dog.

but if I was looking at a different breed/breed type (more serious working lines), I can certainly see why being a house dog would carry a different weight.
oh, absolutely. i've seen people turn their hunters into pets to the point they stop letting them take the risks necessary to prove they're breed worthy. or they let their affection drive their breeding choices & wind up producing mediocre dogs or worse. i know some really good hunters w/ some really good dogs that all live in the house, but you couldn't pay me to take one of their pups. they're basically BYBs producing junk.
it just goes to show very little in life is absolutely right or wrong.