Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 03-06-2012, 04:43 PM
Top Dog

I had a recent experience and what I learned.

Went in for an outpatient biopsy, no one told me I had a 5000 outpatient deductable even tho this was a 'diagnostic procedure'..So I got stuck with a bill of 3000. My husbands company paid 2000 of it, (very nice of them!), I now had a balance of 1000.

I asked to make payments since my work was cut back for the winter, I said I could afford a minimum of 25 a month..They wanted 50, then 100. I said no, nasty nasty office people I contacted a lawyer, and here anyway, I could pay 5.00 a month if I so choose, but the hospital could also turn me over to a collection agency if they so choose.
which in turn would go on my credit report.

I finally got really PO'd about the whole thing, and contacted the head supervisor of the billing dept. She told me I 'should' have had an explanation of payment PRIOR to the procedure, as they DO check with your insurance PRIOR to the procedure to see what they do and don't cover. Never had that happen. She agreed to accept a minium of 25 a month for the bill, Funny thing is, I haven't gotten a bill in over 2 months. So I guess I will contact them since I'm not trying to get out of paying it.

So I learned here anyway, it's BS when the all say they can't do a thing if you only pay 5.00 a month, they CAN turn you over to a collection agency if they choose. And you can certainly pay THEM 5.00 a month, but it goes on your credit report.

When you sign for ANY procedure, you are signing that whatever your insurance doesn't cover YOU are responsible for it.

Yes, I do think the medical system sucks here.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:23 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jynx View Post

I asked to make payments since my work was cut back for the winter, I said I could afford a minimum of 25 a month..They wanted 50, then 100. I said no, nasty nasty office people I contacted a lawyer, and here anyway, I could pay 5.00 a month if I so choose, but the hospital could also turn me over to a collection agency if they so choose.
which in turn would go on my credit report.

I finally got really PO'd about the whole thing, and contacted the head supervisor of the billing dept. She told me I 'should' have had an explanation of payment PRIOR to the procedure, as they DO check with your insurance PRIOR to the procedure to see what they do and don't cover. Never had that happen. She agreed to accept a minium of 25 a month for the bill, Funny thing is, I haven't gotten a bill in over 2 months. So I guess I will contact them since I'm not trying to get out of paying it.

So I learned here anyway, it's BS when the all say they can't do a thing if you only pay 5.00 a month, they CAN turn you over to a collection agency if they choose. And you can certainly pay THEM 5.00 a month, but it goes on your credit report.

When you sign for ANY procedure, you are signing that whatever your insurance doesn't cover YOU are responsible for it.

Yes, I do think the medical system sucks here.

As far as I know as long as you are actively paying they CAN NOT turn you over to collections. They may threaten to try to make you sign an agreement because then they can turn you into collections when you do not pay but as long as you pay a couple dollars a month on medical bills you are good-just never enter into a agreement. At least thats how it is here.

If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain
dogs I have known will go to heaven, and very, very few
persons -James Thurber
Old 03-06-2012, 05:34 PM
Obey the Toad.

They could have been checking for gall bladder issues too. When I went in for what turned out to be a gall bladder attack (had no idea that's what it was) they did a CT scan after the initial exam-and I had no appendix so they couldn't have been checking for that. Remember that on the right side of your abdomen you have not only the appendix but the gall bladder and an ovary, and it doesn't seem to be uncommon for things to go wrong with any of those three parts. Heck, when I went in for emergency appendix surgery the doctor told my mom they still were not sure if the problem was my appendix or my ovary and wouldn't know until they went in.

Not saying they didn't screw you over, just saying that they could have been checking for more than appendicitis. As far as the bill, I have dealt with two different hospitals in regards to large bills, and they have worked out a payment plan both times.

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 03-06-2012, 07:09 PM
Top Dog

Wow...def lots of crazy stories. Thanks for sharing everyone. So friggin ridic how this stuff works. The thing about the ct scan...while it def does check for other things, none are life threatening..nor did I have signs or symptoms suggesting something that needed to be diagnosed in the moment. If anything, by that point, my pain had somewhat improved..not worsened. I understand defensive medicine, but at the same time, that should not mean ignorant medicine, like rth was saying. The part that makes me so mad is that she could not verbalize her reasoning to me. Every. Single. Day. I am grilled by a patient or two demanding to know exactly what & why I am doing something. I always have a reason & am always honest about it.

Thanks Jessie!

Old 03-06-2012, 07:27 PM
Just try me..

wow I can't imagine needing to worry about what they are checking. Or the idea that they might check more to try to get more money.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:31 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post
wow I can't imagine needing to worry about what they are checking. Or the idea that they might check more to try to get more money.
oh but according to a nice portion of the US, in Canada you cant get anything done, they never get you in

OT but it always cracks me up when I hear - but in Canada you have to wait months for an appt. Yeah, same here, if you are lucky enough to have insurance!
Old 03-06-2012, 07:37 PM
Just try me..

But in reality it doesn't happpen that way often. Sure it happens on occasion, but far less than the media makes it out to be. I have to say I have gone in to the emerg and been seen right away.

Look at Nilly.. no waiting for her. A friend of mine was diagnosed with MS rapidly. Over all I would take a cheaper (for the tax payer) one where I didn't have to worry about unneeded proccedures that was available to all.

Just saying the idea that I could go in and have to worry about 'extras' had never occured to me. On the other hand when my Uncle was in the US and got sick they fought to get a test run, the insurance said no. He came home and they ran it right away. (same test was cheaper by a factor of 10 here too) Just saying I would rather they just do what is needed and not have to worry about making money or what the insurance will pay for. Things I had never thought of till this thread.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:51 PM
Top Dog

Oh I know the reality isnt that at all lol...it was supposed to be tongue in cheek.