Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 02-03-2005, 03:47 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

It has been so cold lately than when I take Vic out on the leash to eliminate I tell him Hike...he knows exactly what I mean and we are only out there for seconds. Maybe you could begin since your dog is young enough to go out at home and use a command when she does go..it is worth a shot. Vic sure knows what I mean, It is almost funny but it shouldn't be,
Hyia my grandaughter was 4 when we attended a soccer game at the high school. When I took her to the lohnny on the spot she took one look and no way so we had to walk up to the school and knock on the door until the janitor unlocked it and let us in. Wasn't any point in arguing with her, i knew the look and kinda understood too.
Old 02-03-2005, 04:21 PM
Felurian

I've only boarded my animals once and I'll never do it again, even though they were very well taken care of there. It was at our vets in North Carolina - I was probably fourteen at the time - and my parents didn't want to take them with us on vacation. Dr. Trainer (his full name was Paul E. Trainer - he had no choice in his vocation, lol) and his staff were wonderful, but they were distraught after we came back. Thank goodness we returned early after only five days, because they were frantic and ready to start feeding Purdue with an IV. He had refused to eat since we left him there. They put Mickey and Gulliver (the Terrier and tomcat) in the kennel with him to try to reassure him but it did no good. Dr. Trainer's wife, who assisted at the clinic, was in tears when she brought Purdue out to me.

From what Saje's posted it sounds like it really shouldn't be too much of a problem to take Princess with you if you check ahead and see what's required - and have everything in triplicate stashed in the car and with the Travelers' Cheques and one in your purse!

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian

Last edited by Renee750il; 02-03-2005 at 09:13 PM.
Old 02-03-2005, 07:13 PM
Top Dog

I agree with teaching your dog a command for peeing. I've done that since mine were puppies. Everytime she goes, say your command, "go pee pee" "go poo poo" or "do your thing"....whatever. Then when she finishes, say, "goooood pee pee." She'll eventually connect the word with the act.

You could practice driving somewhere near your house every day and taking her out and see if she'll pee in a new place....just to give her the idea and if she goes, lots of praise, maybe a treat.

Also, when the dog doesn't get much exercise, (us too) when driving in a car for long periods, in the same position, there's a tendancy to get a little constipated. So, if you have time, stop every couple hours and take a good walk/run and get things moving in there.
Old 02-03-2005, 07:13 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

The dogs that were boarded at the kennel I worked at were well taken care of, they were not walked for we didn't take the risk..once they were locked in they stayed that way until you came back. They did have large runs. It is not a pleasant experience, but dogs patience. They are very good at waiting. That is pretty much what they would all do. Hunker down and wait. It isn't a pleasant experience by any means. If you knew someone you could trust to watch "a nanny" that your dog knows that is always what I hope people can find. I don't think you have to change your travel plans though. You could take him/her to a kennel for an hour or two, and then pick her up. That way when you do leave her she will believe that you will come back. WE had one german shepard, I have written about him before that was so scared in the beginning, but he too started the "wait". They would come visit him and bring him a mcdonalds hamburger. The man had cancer and couldn't manage the dog while he went through chemo. AFter they left that dog kept that hamburger in his mouth for a day or two until it completely dissolved. The man did improve and the dog did get to go home. No worse for the experience in the long run. Ours was not the hilton, but the dogs were safe, clean, fed and watered, and talked to. This dog was an extreme case, most dogs took it a bit easier then that. They do have each other to complain to. If you have a lab like the one I had it was a different story. He got out of every kennel on the place. He rammed it until the wire would give, that or the roof. HE also jumped through windows if I tried to leave him home alone. Soon as I was out of site he would eat his way out. He was a power house. That kind of dog I would never recommend to be left at a kennel. The kennel wouldn't want him either.
Old 02-05-2005, 07:48 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

I wouldn't get caught dead saying go poo poo...oh please,WE always use the command, Hike! Give the poor dog some dignity! haha, just kidding but oh my I couldn't imagine saying that where someone could hear me!
Old 02-07-2005, 10:20 AM
Disappointed :(

well whatever word or phrase you pick, just make sure it isn't one that might come up in conversation !!!
Old 02-07-2005, 10:46 AM
Felurian

OMG! What a funny thought . . . That would make a good Candid Camera spot.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian