Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-06-2012, 05:43 PM
Top Dog

I had a recent experience and what I learned.

Went in for an outpatient biopsy, no one told me I had a 5000 outpatient deductable even tho this was a 'diagnostic procedure'..So I got stuck with a bill of 3000. My husbands company paid 2000 of it, (very nice of them!), I now had a balance of 1000.

I asked to make payments since my work was cut back for the winter, I said I could afford a minimum of 25 a month..They wanted 50, then 100. I said no, nasty nasty office people I contacted a lawyer, and here anyway, I could pay 5.00 a month if I so choose, but the hospital could also turn me over to a collection agency if they so choose.
which in turn would go on my credit report.

I finally got really PO'd about the whole thing, and contacted the head supervisor of the billing dept. She told me I 'should' have had an explanation of payment PRIOR to the procedure, as they DO check with your insurance PRIOR to the procedure to see what they do and don't cover. Never had that happen. She agreed to accept a minium of 25 a month for the bill, Funny thing is, I haven't gotten a bill in over 2 months. So I guess I will contact them since I'm not trying to get out of paying it.

So I learned here anyway, it's BS when the all say they can't do a thing if you only pay 5.00 a month, they CAN turn you over to a collection agency if they choose. And you can certainly pay THEM 5.00 a month, but it goes on your credit report.

When you sign for ANY procedure, you are signing that whatever your insurance doesn't cover YOU are responsible for it.

Yes, I do think the medical system sucks here.