Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 03-06-2012, 09:17 AM
madapple madapple is offline
Active Pup
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1
Default

Well, as I have read in numerous dog food reviews (http://www.pissedconsumer.com/consum...imal-feed.html) chocolate is a real poison for these pets. As for me, I don't feed my Ben with sweets.
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 06-13-2012, 07:06 AM
Kaydee
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I dunno on this one but I'll err on the side of caution. The closest Sophie gets to chocolate is when we share ice cream. But even then I'll carefully search for chocolate pieces and munch them before I offer her a taste.

Lucky that she doesn't really eat sweets except sharing the ice cream. I have a friend who insists acidic stuff and tomato sauce is more dangerous than chocolate, and lets his dog indulge. I disagree with that...I believe no chocolate and people food in moderation.
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 07-05-2012, 03:49 PM
Emily's Avatar
Emily Emily is offline
Rollin' with my bitches
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Illinois
Posts: 2,115
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaydee View Post
I believe no chocolate and people food in moderation.
I don't believe in people food - as in, I don't believe there's "people food" and "dog food". There's just food. My dogs eat a diet planned out for a dog, but it's mostly food from the human supermarket. Some food is good for dogs, some isn't - just like some food is good for people and some isn't. Hell, some "people food" table scraps are healthier than most dog food.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 08-21-2012, 02:01 PM
kings33 kings33 is offline
Active Pup
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 1
Default 5 lbs of Green Chocolate

We had a springer eat 5 lbs of green chocolate (white chocolate with food coloring). That made for quite a mess, but the dog felt better in a few days.
__________________


If you need experts on Pets, Natural and Holistic Pet Foods, or grooming in the Charlotte, NC area, I highly recommend:

www.petsuppliespluscharlotte.com
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 09-10-2012, 08:01 PM
Nikole Fairview's Avatar
Nikole Fairview Nikole Fairview is offline
Puppy Dog
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 32
Default I'm Surprised I Never Heard These Facts Before

This article is really helpful. I know there are times when dogs snag candy wrappers or even find some litter on the ground and start chewing it before their owners realize it. This has got to be a welcome relief. I Know one time I was concerned about my dogs when they got into the trash. I went through every single bit of garbage fearing they had gotten some chocolate. I still believe that even a little is probably bad, and though I feel reassured that my doggies can't die from a little bit, I am still keeping them away from it. I wonder if dark chocolate or raw chocolate would cause effects that are more intense with a smaller amount. I would be interested to read those numbers too. Dark chocolate is becoming so popular in most households because of its health benefits for humans. I think this would be useful information.
__________________
"My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet."
~Edith Wharton~
CanineJournal.Com is a blog that covers everything about dogs for dog lovers.
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 01-30-2013, 03:42 PM
Roger Biduk Roger Biduk is offline
Puppy Dog
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 92
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by madapple View Post
Well, as I have read in numerous dog food reviews (http://www.pissedconsumer.com/consum...imal-feed.html) chocolate is a real poison for these pets. As for me, I don't feed my Ben with sweets.
Hello madapple,
Embrace Pet Insurance's claims database says chocolate was the #1 pet poison in 2011. Chocolate always shows up towards the top of the list.

And remember, toxicity goes up the more bitter the chocolate is.
Increased heart rate, tremors, hyperactivity and sometimes death are all symptoms of eating chocolate.

Caffeine and theobromine are ingredients in chocolate and are not good for pets.
Bon chance, Roger Biduk
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 03-11-2013, 05:01 AM
ackerleynelson ackerleynelson is offline
Active Pup
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 20
Default

Yes, theobromine, which is a chemical in chocolate is very harmful for the dogs. It is also true as the bitterness in the chocolate increases the risk also increases.
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 05-25-2013, 07:38 AM
LabLover95's Avatar
LabLover95 LabLover95 is offline
Puppy Dog
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Eastern USA
Posts: 56
Default

Once our 67 pound Lab ate 16 oz. of dark cocoa chocolate! She was pretty sick for 2 or 3 days but after that she was *surprisingly* fine.
__________________

Proud Mum of a beautiful Lab girl, Mollie <3
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:17 PM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site