Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 03-06-2012, 09:17 AM
Active Pup

Well, as I have read in numerous dog food reviews (http://www.pissedconsumer.com/consum...imal-feed.html) chocolate is a real poison for these pets. As for me, I don't feed my Ben with sweets.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:06 AM
Kaydee

I dunno on this one but I'll err on the side of caution. The closest Sophie gets to chocolate is when we share ice cream. But even then I'll carefully search for chocolate pieces and munch them before I offer her a taste.

Lucky that she doesn't really eat sweets except sharing the ice cream. I have a friend who insists acidic stuff and tomato sauce is more dangerous than chocolate, and lets his dog indulge. I disagree with that...I believe no chocolate and people food in moderation.
Old 07-05-2012, 03:49 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaydee View Post
I believe no chocolate and people food in moderation.
I don't believe in people food - as in, I don't believe there's "people food" and "dog food". There's just food. My dogs eat a diet planned out for a dog, but it's mostly food from the human supermarket. Some food is good for dogs, some isn't - just like some food is good for people and some isn't. Hell, some "people food" table scraps are healthier than most dog food.

Old 08-21-2012, 02:01 PM
Active Pup

Default 5 lbs of Green Chocolate

We had a springer eat 5 lbs of green chocolate (white chocolate with food coloring). That made for quite a mess, but the dog felt better in a few days.

If you need experts on Pets, Natural and Holistic Pet Foods, or grooming in the Charlotte, NC area, I highly recommend:

www.petsuppliespluscharlotte.com
Old 09-10-2012, 08:01 PM
Puppy Dog

Default I'm Surprised I Never Heard These Facts Before

This article is really helpful. I know there are times when dogs snag candy wrappers or even find some litter on the ground and start chewing it before their owners realize it. This has got to be a welcome relief. I Know one time I was concerned about my dogs when they got into the trash. I went through every single bit of garbage fearing they had gotten some chocolate. I still believe that even a little is probably bad, and though I feel reassured that my doggies can't die from a little bit, I am still keeping them away from it. I wonder if dark chocolate or raw chocolate would cause effects that are more intense with a smaller amount. I would be interested to read those numbers too. Dark chocolate is becoming so popular in most households because of its health benefits for humans. I think this would be useful information.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:42 PM
Puppy Dog

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by madapple View Post
Well, as I have read in numerous dog food reviews (http://www.pissedconsumer.com/consum...imal-feed.html) chocolate is a real poison for these pets. As for me, I don't feed my Ben with sweets.
Hello madapple,
Embrace Pet Insurance's claims database says chocolate was the #1 pet poison in 2011. Chocolate always shows up towards the top of the list.

And remember, toxicity goes up the more bitter the chocolate is.
Increased heart rate, tremors, hyperactivity and sometimes death are all symptoms of eating chocolate.

Caffeine and theobromine are ingredients in chocolate and are not good for pets.
Bon chance, Roger Biduk
Old 03-11-2013, 05:01 AM
Active Pup

Yes, theobromine, which is a chemical in chocolate is very harmful for the dogs. It is also true as the bitterness in the chocolate increases the risk also increases.
Old 05-25-2013, 07:38 AM
Puppy Dog

Once our 67 pound Lab ate 16 oz. of dark cocoa chocolate! She was pretty sick for 2 or 3 days but after that she was *surprisingly* fine.

Proud Mum of a beautiful Lab girl, Mollie <3