Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 02-29-2012, 01:33 PM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

I had a scholarship and had to go to university after high school. I had to pick the thing I was good at, theatre as I had no idea what I wanted to do. Within my first year I knew it wasn't what I wanted to do.. but my parents told me I had to stick with it till I found something else. I got my honours BA in the end.. and was still stuck.

I took odd jobs, ran a dog boarding kennel, landscaped, became a ski instructor and ski patroller. Had a perma job for winters at the hill, but still didn't know what I wanted. I started to think maybe something medical, but I was missing pre-reqs..

Took 2 years to get off my butt and finally going back to get 2 high school credits and applying to be a paramedic. There are still some days that I'm not 100% sure I made the right choice, but I think it's the pressure of the end of college (done in 7 weeks). Makes me feel I wasted my time and should have gone back sooner, but I don't think I was ready to go back, and succeed.

I didn't think I'd ever do more school after a 'break', but if it's what you want to do and you feel passionately about it, you do make it work for you.

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H SD-S (SP)
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground

Old 02-29-2012, 01:37 PM
Top Dog

Ugh, I hear you girl. I've been soooo wish washy and back and forth with what I wanted to do. Back in high school, I wasn't even sure if college interested me. But I got a job at Toys R Us my senior year and was shocked at the amount of adults who were applying for their 2nd or 3rd jobs because they had to support their family or whatever, a lot were doing night shifts or over-night packing and stuff. It was a wake up call for me that college education was going to be important for ME because I don't want to get stuck working retail jobs the rest of my life or whatever. And I know not everyone who doesn't go to college is like this, but I feel safer getting a degree. All my friends I know from HS that did not go to school and still just working job to job, different retail jobs, some out of a job, etc.

Anyways I started with a business major. I looked into a LOT of different things -- paralegal, vet tech, psychology, radiologist tech, criminal justice... seriously, did not switch to all of them but just did a lot of searching around. Then I finally came to a decision that I felt confident about (and still kind of do) and that was education. Found a program at the college 5 minutes near my dads house where you can get your bachelors degree at the community college thru a higher education program; THEN just discovered that they were only going to transfer 16 of my 42 credits since switching majors. So I was like OMG, I am not starting completely over... and went back to my original business and will just plan on getting my business bachelors degree, and if I really want to pursue education, get my masters (which I was going to do anyways possibly). And I feel like a business degree will at least leave me with more choices and opportunities. I did not want to do one of the 2 year programs and then be stuck doing ONLY that or not having as many options.

So basically, at 21, with about 42 credits - I still don't EXACTLY know what I'm going to do, but have a basic idea, and a few goals in mind, and just know I really want my degree (for two reasons: to prove to myself that I CAN do this, as most in my family never finished college, and also to of course have more job and salary opportunities). So I'm going to keep going!

Brit & Jackson

Old 02-29-2012, 05:30 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

I feel for you. I have one more semester left (of, like, maybe 9 credits if that) before I graduate. I'll be graduating with a BS in Animal Science...and I have no idea what I want to do. Potentially starting my own pet sitting/boarding service. Potentially working as an uncertified vet tech (a "vet assistant", I suppose). If I enjoy that, I may decide to become a registered vet technician. Who knows. The original plan was vet school. Sophomore year, I decided that wasn't what I wanted to do. I would love to get involved in animal research, either doing behavior studies or actually being the person to care for the laboratory animals, but I have no idea how to even go about doing that.

But honestly, what I really want to do with my life? Settle down, have kids, and be a stay at home mom, working a part time job on the side that I love doing for some extra money. But, apparently, this is frowned upon by society.

Old 02-29-2012, 05:50 PM
Kotah BEAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by *blackrose View Post

But honestly, what I really want to do with my life? Settle down, have kids, and be a stay at home mom, working a part time job on the side that I love doing for some extra money. But, apparently, this is frowned upon by society.
This is what I want to do.
And F what society thinks. Its YOUR life, not ANYONE elses.
YES I do want to go back to school, and I am busting my butt to go back. My ONLY opinions is Penn Foster and Ashworth. No other school will take me because of that BS with my old college.
Though I do have college under my belt, 26 credits, that were going towards the Army. They won't transfer. Which sucks.

I graduated May 09, went back to school Jan. '11, and now I'm out. I have absolutely no clue what I want to do.
I am thinking Business but I'm not 100% sure.

Go for.... under water basket weaving. It sounds fun and you get a cool oxygen tank and you get to be underwater
Old 02-29-2012, 06:07 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran101 View Post
Got into my top choice pre-vet program.. kept good grades.. only to realize that I don't want to be a vet.
It's a bummer. but it happens. better now than 2nd year of vet school and covered in debt.

If I were you, I would go the vet tech route. Other than being just great job wise, it's amazing experience if you DO want to be come a vet.
This. I had the same experience as Fran101 except I even made it to the interview stage (obviously didn't get in) before I realized that I really didn't want to do it.

I agree with getting vet tech experience, and if you still want to apply, get as much, and then some more, experience in as many different areas of vet med possible. I don't know if all vet schools are the same, but OVC really favored students with a ****-load of volunteer experience. I guess it shows that you're serious.

Also, working as a vet tech lets you see how the career really is day in and day out, and that was a major determining factor in me deciding not to pursue vet med anymore.

As to your future, don't freak out! I'm 31, still finishing my BioMed degree, wasted 2 years in university taking Nursing, and not 100% sure what my next step is. It'll work out.
Old 03-02-2012, 02:04 AM
Thanks, and Gig 'em.

A 3.2 isn't bad, and you have Tufts near you which accepts about 50% of its student base as Massachusetts students (I believe y'all count as in-state as well). Plus, you have two years to bring it up. People have definitely gotten in with 3.2s and a bit lower as well. I wasn't too very far off with a 3.4 when I got in.

Also, overall GPA isn't the only thing they look at. Most schools look at a variety of GPAs, such as your science GPA, cumulative GPA, Last X hours GPA (generally Last 45), pre-requisite GPA, and then individual formulations that the adcomms of that school thinks is relevant.

Also, I'm going to disagree with going the vet tech route unless you live in a state that requires you to be an LVT to work as a vet tech. Veterinary assistants generally get paid on par as an LVT here in Texas (can't speak for Massachusetts), and it's my understanding that it's about the same elsewhere that doesn't have required LVT training, so there's not any point in spending the money. If you want to use vet tech school to bring up your GPA, I'd suggest a master's program instead. It's about the same amount of time (dependent on if you do a thesis program or not) and you'll get a stipend. Only downside is you're locked in, as vet schools will absolutely not tolerate someone leaving their Master's program early unless you've a written letter from your advisor saying that it's OK with them, and even then some still frown upon doing so.

I did an MBA while trying to get my grades up, and that took a year and the admissions committees liked that I went that route too because a lot of vets have no business skills at all (because they just want to practice medicine, not manage a practice) and end up in dire straits. Just another option to consider. Business classes are rather laid back comparatively.

Quote:
but I don't have high expectations of success (I'm already freaking out about getting recommendations for that since I have non existent relationships with my teachers so far)
I wouldn't worry about recommendations from professors. I, like you, never established a real good rapport with my professors so I didn't even bother asking one of them. I just got recommendations from 3 vets that I worked with instead and that worked out just fine. You should be working in a vet clinic during your summers (or sooner; if you could start in one tomorrow, you should), as you definitely need at least 1 vet to write you an LOR. Some schools require 2.

Quote:
Do you think being a vet tech for a few years would really help my chances of getting into vet school?
Not really, no. It won't hurt your chances, but it won't improve them much either unless you're just doing it for the GPA boost.

Quote:
so if I did go the vet-tech to vet route it would be 4 years undergrad, 2 years vet tech, then 4 years vet school
Yah but why waste 2 years at vet tech school if you're ultimately wanting to go to vet school? You could be 2 years into vet school by the time you get out of vet tech school. It's a good plan B if you need it to work in Massachusetts (or where ever you eventually want to live), but if not, I'd look into a Master's in a biomedical related field, as that'll impress the adcomms more. They always like to see research.

Quote:
Also it's only a two year degree rather than the approximately ninety million years it takes to become a vet;
Naw vet school is only 4 years unless you plan on specializing, then it's 8. So if you do vet tech school for 2 years, you'd be two years short of a veterinarian had you just gone to vet school.

If you've got any other questions let me know. Might be a while before I can get back to you though as we're in the middle of our mid-terms.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, throughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming --- 'WOW, WHAT A RIDE!!!!' " - Author Unknown
Old 03-02-2012, 10:21 AM
I'm All Ears

It all works out eventually. I wavered so much then graduated with a degree that I knew would be marketable but had no idea what to do with it (mathematics). I was biochem, then genetics, then math. And I assumed I wanted to teach. But then I realized I was just choosing teaching because it was one of the only options available that I knew of.

These days I really wish I'd gone into engineering sometimes. Other times I'm pretty happy with my salary and lessened job duties than the engineers. Some days I really enjoy my job, other days it's dull. But I think most jobs are like that. I've given up on finding a job I'm passionate about and just finding one I enjoy most the time.

Anyways, I'm a geotech and if you would have asked 2 years ago I would have had no idea what that even was. I haven't decided if it's going to be my 'career' job or not yet. I make decent pay but getting the rest of an engineering degree would easily immediately double my pay. It also means I have to work a lot of OT though and the idea of going back to school is very unappealing right now.