Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 02-29-2012, 04:34 PM
Top Dog

Challenge #1: Proofing Startline Stays.

This is what Zuma and I are working on right now. We did an impulse control class (mostly crate games) that did this.. She is now able to hold her stay while another dog runs past, with me 20 feet in front slapping a toy on the ground. I can throw a toy next to her and she'll stay as well as me waving a toy as I run by her. She is also able to hold her start line stay while the crazy BC's run tunnels and slam teeters as well.

Challenge #2: Pause Table: (can also use a mat if you don't have a table handy).

She's fabulous on a mat, absolutely fabulous. Hits it, slams in to a down and holds it no matter what. We are working on her not sliding off of the table currently and hope to have that proofed before our first AKC trial at the end of March. Once she's on it, she's fabulous, just need her to not slide off of it.

Challenge #3: Distance Skills and Footwork for Distance.

Working on sending to random objects and wrapping them. The toughest for her is watching which side I'm sending her to whether I want her to wrap around the back or the front. She can send up to 20' for the random object. We are working on obdstacle discrimination but she will layer most obstacles now. Last exercise we did included sending to the teeter from the other side of a dog walk/tunnel. She nailed that.
Old 02-29-2012, 04:48 PM
Top Dog

^^^ We need video! I'm saving and uploading mine now, stay tuned.
Old 02-29-2012, 05:36 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by adojrts View Post
I'll start with exercises that don't require any equipment and can be for any level of training/competing
Challenge accepted!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ioTq...ature=youtu.be

We went out and worked on the distance challenge and the stay challenge. We haven't worked on distance at all yet, but I figured I'd give it a go. Overall I think she did pretty good for a pup. We also squeezed some running contacts which went quite well, so next time I'll raise the board again.
Old 02-29-2012, 05:50 PM
& the Muttly Crew

We went swimming instead lol

I mean...it's swimming! In February! How could we pass that up!?

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 02-29-2012, 08:53 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraB View Post
Challenge #1: Proofing Startline Stays.

This is what Zuma and I are working on right now. We did an impulse control class (mostly crate games) that did this.. She is now able to hold her stay while another dog runs past, with me 20 feet in front slapping a toy on the ground. I can throw a toy next to her and she'll stay as well as me waving a toy as I run by her. She is also able to hold her start line stay while the crazy BC's run tunnels and slam teeters as well.

Challenge #2: Pause Table: (can also use a mat if you don't have a table handy).

She's fabulous on a mat, absolutely fabulous. Hits it, slams in to a down and holds it no matter what. We are working on her not sliding off of the table currently and hope to have that proofed before our first AKC trial at the end of March. Once she's on it, she's fabulous, just need her to not slide off of it.
Challenge #3: Distance Skills and Footwork for Distance.

Working on sending to random objects and wrapping them. The toughest for her is watching which side I'm sending her to whether I want her to wrap around the back or the front. She can send up to 20' for the random object. We are working on obdstacle discrimination but she will layer most obstacles now. Last exercise we did included sending to the teeter from the other side of a dog walk/tunnel. She nailed that.
One exercise that worked with Petie to help him control the 'hit the table at speed and not slide off', was to do recalls with me standing behind the table The bumped it by me sitting, that was much harder for him.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:12 PM
Top Dog

Do you (generic y'all) teach your dogs to load straight on the table? Both Meg, and now Gusto, are trained to hit the table and spin to look at me. Both have pretty well established "turn in the air and land in a down" behavior. I love it because it is both fast and it helps eliminate the flying off the far side thing.

Except that one time Meg was way, way too pumped, took off for the table in a flying leap, and forced me to practically scream "LIE DOWN" at her. She went over the entire table without touching it, and landed in a down on the far side with her nubbin going 100 miles a minute. I wish I had it on video, but pretty much my entire group of friends was too busy laughing on the sidelines.

Old 02-29-2012, 10:45 PM
It's A Red Dog Revolution

Ohhhh I wanna play! I just don't have anywhere to go where someone can tape me, though... I will try and get some video working in the yard (so no REAL distance, unfortunately...), but a lot of this would be good for us to work on more anyway

Loistava's Jari CGC - 17 months old (M)
Loistava's Kimma RN AX AXJ RATN CGC - 4 years old (F)
AOM CH Finkkila's Kupla ("Bubbles") - 4 years old (F)
CH Finkkila's Pentti CGC TDI - 6 years old (M)
Old 03-01-2012, 09:21 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by adojrts View Post
One exercise that worked with Petie to help him control the 'hit the table at speed and not slide off', was to do recalls with me standing behind the table The bumped it by me sitting, that was much harder for him.
I'll try that! My boss also suggested tugging on the table, reward placement and all. Silly me for not thinking of it sooner.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:22 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBanker View Post
Do you (generic y'all) teach your dogs to load straight on the table? Both Meg, and now Gusto, are trained to hit the table and spin to look at me. Both have pretty well established "turn in the air and land in a down" behavior. I love it because it is both fast and it helps eliminate the flying off the far side thing.
Zoom does the swivel/down in one motion as well... She however has yet to develop those brakes prior to the swivel. LOL
Old 03-05-2012, 09:02 PM
It's A Red Dog Revolution

Finally got around to uploading the Distance Challenge!

Kimma is still getting the hang of a "swivel down" on the table, and obviously here on the mat, she just sort of goes to it, and then goes in to the down. Which is what she currently does on the table most of the time. But she used to have an issue flying off of the table, so now that we've figured that out, I can work more with getting a faster down (it's already automatic).

I probably should have done more to distract her during the startline stay part (throwing treats, letting the other dogs out, etc.), but I wasn't really thinking about it at the time

www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDi5kMvxcLQ

Loistava's Jari CGC - 17 months old (M)
Loistava's Kimma RN AX AXJ RATN CGC - 4 years old (F)
AOM CH Finkkila's Kupla ("Bubbles") - 4 years old (F)
CH Finkkila's Pentti CGC TDI - 6 years old (M)