Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 02-29-2012, 08:49 AM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

See, and I think that is part of my problem when looking at various breeder's websites. I take one look at the pictures of their breeding dogs in show and my mouth drops and I think, "Good God, what a tub of lard, I don't want that." But if the dog was slimmed down (like yours, Java - your girls are gorgeous, BTW), I may have nothing against its structure. (Although some dogs I see it seems like they were crossed with a mastiff at some point due to their heads and crossed with a Basset at another due to their short legs. O.o) But even if I don't mind their structure, I really don't know if I want to support a breeder that finds nothing wrong with packing 10 pounds on their dog for the show ring, even if they slim them down when not showing.

I wish I could find a nice, dual purpose Labrador. It actually saddens me how few there are. I have a few breeders I've managed to find that I like, but with as popular as Labs are I really wasn't expecting it to be this difficult.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:54 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by *blackrose View Post
...I have a few breeders I've managed to find that I like, but with as popular as Labs are I really wasn't expecting it to be this difficult.
The popularity is part of the problem. More people breeding just because they're the "in" breed.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:13 AM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by *blackrose View Post
See, and I think that is part of my problem when looking at various breeder's websites. I take one look at the pictures of their breeding dogs in show and my mouth drops and I think, "Good God, what a tub of lard, I don't want that." But if the dog was slimmed down (like yours, Java - your girls are gorgeous, BTW), I may have nothing against its structure. (Although some dogs I see it seems like they were crossed with a mastiff at some point due to their heads and crossed with a Basset at another due to their short legs. O.o) But even if I don't mind their structure, I really don't know if I want to support a breeder that finds nothing wrong with packing 10 pounds on their dog for the show ring, even if they slim them down when not showing.

I wish I could find a nice, dual purpose Labrador. It actually saddens me how few there are. I have a few breeders I've managed to find that I like, but with as popular as Labs are I really wasn't expecting it to be this difficult.
You need to find a breeder you like, that is reputable, does all clearances and has the look you like. Chances are, their structure will be good...then you keep your dog at a weight you like.
Java and Moka's breeder thinks my girls are too thin. Their mom is 82 lbs, their dad is over 90 lbs.
My girls could carry more weight, but I don't like the look of more weight on labs, so I keep them leaner and slimmer.
Just because they can carry the weight, doesn't mean they should.
I like the big, blocky labs...with an athletic look. So I look at bench/show breeders for that...but then I will decide what weight I think they look best at.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:41 PM
Wild At Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicksMom View Post
Don't forget the ones that are as tall as a small Great Dane. Or a head like a Rottweiler.
Which would be Harleigh She is fit though (even if some think she is too thin), haha.

Harleigh <3
Old 02-29-2012, 01:11 PM
Active Pup

Very pretty kid. Yea, love the giant labrador and the comment that comes from the people who go out and seek out a "breeder" who breeds for this type. I don't want a show dog, just a pet. Who ever said a pure bred pet dog had to be anything less then fitting the standard and whelped to health test bitch and dog. But then who wants one of those facny labs that don't have HD, EIP or any of the other health issues that come with pet dog breeding.