Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 01-27-2005, 11:00 AM
Top Dog

My dogs listen to my hand signals better than they do my verbal commands. lol (I think it is because I babble on to much when I'm with them so they just tune me out. lol) I say their name to get them to look at me, but to do sit and stuff they mostly just listen to the hand signal. If I can't get Rose to sit by just my voice, I use the hand signal and wa-la! She sits! lol Once they get the command, they usally can do it without my hand signal but sometimes they need it as extra incouargment. lol
Old 01-27-2005, 03:36 PM
Active Pup

I am trying to teach my my saint but seems we need more time to learn PT...lol We are making slow progress, but making it.
Old 01-27-2005, 07:34 PM
Top Dog

I agree with Rosie's Gal. I'm sure my constant stream of chatter to my dogs is a big source of consternation for them. "Was there a command in there somewhere?" haha!
Old 02-07-2005, 03:59 AM
Border Collie Lover

I have always used hand signals as well as vocal commands for training my boys. One of my dogs Soda, is completely deaf so he only works to the hand signals, I do say the words too as he reads your facial expressions as well. Since getting Soda I have done a lot of reserch into signing for dogs. It seems that a lot of people base their signs on American sign language. I do use some of those signs but have made up a few of my own. I have also read about a lot of people who teach both signs and commands as a lot of dogs loose their hearing as they get older and it means that you can still communicate with them should this happen. Which is something I hadn't thought of before but it seems like a good idea.
Lynn