Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 02-26-2012, 02:07 AM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmagick View Post
I was induced with my first....wish I hadnt allowed it as she wasnt ready. I did no epidural and made it 20+ hours before getting one (and then it was still another 10 before I had her...sigh). Induced labor is harder for sure but for me, I still did not want to add the risk of the epidural until I felt I absolutely had to.
Ouch! That is a long time. With mine there was a good chance we may have lost him if we let him go much longer. My body was totally ready to go so once active labor started he was born only half an hour later. The biggest difference I noticed was that there was no break between contractions like a normal labor. It just hurt really bad and I couldn't catch my breath. I can't imagine doing that for hours.
Old 02-26-2012, 07:04 AM
I'd rather be at Disney

I was induced at 10 am. come three pm nothing was happening. not even contractions really. they kept turning it up a little more and a little more.

finally about 4 pm I was starting to feel some contractions. when 7 o clock came they were worse but nothing really terrible but still not much was going on. I decided then to get the epidural. I probably wasn't "ready" for the epidural as they say you should be dialated so much etc but whatever... I wanted it and nothing was going on.

I decided long before even getting pregnant that I was going to have an epidural LOL.

so I got it early on in labor. thank goodness I did who knows HOW long we would have been sitting there with nothing happening. Once I had the epidural they turned up the pitocin and things started happening... quickly.

it was probably about 8 by the time I got the epidural and the anesthesiologist was AWESOME. He told me before hand (when we met before labor) that they would only give me a small amount and give a little more or less as needed but they would only get me through until I was fully dilated and then there would be no more and the point was for it to wear off before I started pushing. it worked just as he intended. And he was really cool. He talked hockey with me the whole time they were doing the epidural and kept me really relaxed and at ease.

It did the trick. It took the contraction discomfort away but I could feel my feet (well one of them anyway lol) and move my legs without much problem. Things started happening then. I finally started dilate.

About 12:30 am the epidural wore off and I was just about ready. the pressure was tremendous but it wasn't so much pain by that point. The nurse held me off for a while and then had me do a test push and called the doc in right away. Shortly after 1 am the doc arrived and we got down to business....

18 minutes later hannah was born and soon after that I got up and walked myself to the bathroom lol.

so my personal experience with the epidural was a good and very effective one lol. I would do it again in a heartbeat (the epidural I mean LOL not nessecarily labor although mine was quite easy) I probably could have made it through without the epidural but... I didn't want to lol.

How else was I going to hang out on chaz the entire time lol

Like Romy... there wasn't much option about inducing Hannah. I mean I could have said no but that would have been at Hannah's peril. I also highly recommend the epidural lol for me the benefits outweighed any of the likely risks and luckily for me it worked out for the best.

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 02-26-2012, 10:07 AM
Chihuahua Power!

No kids yet here (enjoying my husband and dogs at the moment!), but we've had names kinda sorta picked out for a while.

Girl names: Marlie and Nora are two of our favorites.

Boy names: Ryland, Liam, and Parker are ones we like.

And I guess I'm not particular about a month. Preferably, I don't want to be late into pregnancy over the hot and humid Florida months.

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 02-26-2012, 10:12 AM
Resident fainting goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Jessie~ View Post
No kids yet here, but we've had names kinda sorta picked out for a while.

Girl names: Marlie and Nora are two of our favorites.

Boy names: Ryland, Liam, and Parker are ones we like.

And I guess I'm not particular about a month. Preferably, I don't want to be late into pregnancy over the hot and humid Florida months.
Parker is on my list of boy names too!

My favorite boy names: Oliver, Parker, Tristan, Harry, Tomas, Taylor, Charles, Daniel, Nathaniel, Carter, James, William, Luke, Asher,

Girls names: Primrose, Emma, Madeline, Charlotte, Taylor, Lily, Caroline, Penelope, Juliet, Lorelei, Ariel, Taylor, Annabeth

Month wise? lol no idea.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:24 AM
<(°°<) <(°°)> (>°°)>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran101 View Post
Parker is on my list of boy names too!

My favorite boy names: Oliver, Parker, Tristan, Harry, Tomas, Taylor, Charles, Daniel, Nathaniel, Carter, James, William, Luke, Asher,

Girls names: Primrose, Emma, Madeline, Charlotte, Taylor, Lily, Caroline, Penelope, Juliet, Lorelei, Ariel, Taylor, Annabeth

Month wise? lol no idea.
You seem to have narrowed your list down

You are the whisper in the wind, and the silence in dark.
You are the autumn rain, and the spring flowers.
You are the joy when I laugh, and the sorrow when I cry.
You are the earth beneath my feet, and the air in the sky
But most of all, you are my heart.
Run free, Beautiful Girl.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:39 AM
Top Dog

My second was planned homebirth. I labored at home for 18 hours and was not even to 2cm yet:/ (Hard active labor too...not counting the prelabor and small contractions) I did end up transferring to the hospital as I was totally wearing out. My plan was to get the epidural to have a break and then hopefully come back home or at least turn it off to deliver. I did dialate 5 cm in the car...THAT was fun lol. My water broke right when I was getting ready to leave too so I knew they would not let me go back home. I finally had him about 10 hours after arriving at the hospital, c-section.

Oh, and to clarify earlier...sometimes inductions are absolutely needed and necessary. HOwever, in the US right now, birth is out of control. Inductions and c-section rates are ridiculously high. It is something I think every woman should be very very aware of and know how to advocate on her own behalf. With my daughter for example, my water broke and no cotractions. My OB was ok with me waiting 8 hours or so which I did before going in and being induced. HOwever, I know that its common and safe (with proper safety measures) to go several days. But she was my first, I did not have a midwife, so I got induced when my body was not ready and it failed...ended c-section.

I get so frustrated too with all the convenience inductions. They really are a risk to both the baby AND the mother.

Now, I will say my recoveries after both surgeries were like night and day. With my daughter I was on the epidural AND pitocin for a LONG time. My body felt like it had been hit by a train after. It took a couple weeks before I could comfortably move and walk around etc. With my son, no pitocin and shorter/lighter epidural.....bounced back super quick and was going to the park, zoo, etc almost immediately after getting out (Which is not recommended I know lol)
Old 02-26-2012, 10:39 AM
Kotah BEAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by GipsyQueen View Post
You seem to have narrowed your list down
I was going to say this lol

Though you have some adorable names picked out, Fran.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:40 AM
Member of WHODAT Nation.

Dak , do you really want the lowdown ?

I could gush all day about the horro..........wonders of childbirth.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:43 AM
Kotah BEAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by -bogart- View Post
Dak , do you really want the lowdown ?

I could gush all day about the horro..........wonders of childbirth.
Oh I have seen horrible things, since 90% of my friends have kids anyways and my family is over following with them at the moment lol
I've seen that child birthing video, btw I watched it with my ex for sh!ts and giggles. He was in the Army, was a Med Lab Tech, and had been through 4 months of combat. And THAT made him weak at the knees and almost puke

But sure, if you want to, tell me the lowdown lol.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:45 AM
Top Dog

Oh and yes, pitocin contractions are WAY different from normal contractions. WIth lilah, they were training each other...a real contraction would hit, as it just started to ease off, a pitocin contraction would hit. I had no break and it was horrible after awhile. I did it for a long time but then when I wasnt dilating, I was done lol.

WIth my son, well, somehow he ended up in a position where my sciatic nerve was going nuts. My hip/back felt like it was on fire the whole time and would "lock" up during contractions, The actual contractions I could handle, that sciatic issue is what pushed me into the hospital.