Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 02-25-2012, 10:18 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

It's a mix... Crazy Dog treats in all four flavours, Zukes (I think I had peanut butter and chicken this time), and Premier Every Flavour Treats. I cut 'em all in half and chuck them in a big jar and shake it up to mix them all up together. I don't think it's the Crazy Dog treats, when he was a puppy he had those almost exclusively for a little while. Though maybe not quite so many in one sitting. I'm wondering if it's more just the volume of treats than the treats themselves, like he's okay with getting a few throughout the day but training heavily with them is too much?

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 02-25-2012, 10:22 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

I would try using just one at a time for a bit to see if he's maybe developed an intolerance to something in one of them. If so, that's an easy fix.

Will he work for kibble with the occasional nomnomnom type thrown in, or does he need something higher value?
Old 02-25-2012, 10:35 PM
Bite me.

I second sending off a fecal culture to the lab.

I had a puppy come here from Korea this summer, and he had HORRIBLE pudding poop but clean fecals. We pup him (work at vet) on Flagyl and after 2 weeks no improvement. Sent out culture and he had a significant bacterial overgrowth, probably from Korea's "rainy season".

It took another week of Flagy to see an improvement, and it was scary.

Good luck, hope you can find an answer!
Old 02-25-2012, 10:55 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Hmmm... the run of Flagyl we did was only seven days. Maybe he just needed to be on it longer? It did appear to clear everything up, this is the first pudding poo we've had since the first of the month, but I guess it's possible it didn't knock it out and we're back to square one again?
It's definitely not horrible yet, but I am worried that if I don't look into it now, we will get right back to the point where he is pooping all over the carpet at least once a day and it eventually turns into watery poops. Hopefully we can figure out what's up before it gets that bad again.

He will work for kibble, but I will need higher value stuff eventually when I start needing to transfer some higher value to stuff. Kibble is good for tricks at home, but that's only going to be a small portion of stuff we do together of course... I may just have to nuke the crap out of chicken and cut it into chunks, or try cheese sticks. Hot dog will probably be too much if there's a question about richness. I could also just try those Natural Balance rolls, they are probably less rich than normal treats...

I would like my dogs to just have simple problems for once. ;P

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 02-25-2012, 11:06 PM
Bite me.

I feel for you!

Discuss with your vet doing the Flagyl for longer, it can help. My boy was on Flagyl, and Amoxi at the same time. We stopped the Amoxi after a week and continued the Flagy. Scary time, that puppy stopped eating.