Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 02-21-2012, 07:10 PM
Top Dog

I had to drive around - listening to the radio - for a few hours this afternoon after I read the article. I noticed that a LOT of songs give me goosebumps, even when I'm not thinking about the song, when I'm just hearing the song while letting my mind wander. Every time I got goosebumps, I thought back to the music that was playing, and it was always during one of those appoggiaturas the article talked about. Always. Made me laugh every time, too, when I realized how clearly the music gave me goosebumps.

Every now and then, too, a song will make me tear up when I don't really know why. Often it's an instrumental piece that will do it, too, so I can't say it's necessarily the lyrics.

Very interesting.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:11 PM
Active Pup

Default Sell my timeshare

Little while ago looked through the post! amazing job!
Old 02-22-2012, 07:59 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
Read the comments. Plenty of people don't like Adele or that song in particular.
I try not to read the comments on YouTube. For every nice helpful comment there seems to be ten that break my brain. LOL

I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013
Old 02-22-2012, 03:40 PM
Ninja Dog

I think it's a mixture of music, voice, and lyrics.

Music doesn't make me cry, but it can mess me up inside. None moreso than Hurt, the Johnny Cash cover.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o22eIJDtKho
Old 02-22-2012, 07:41 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani View Post
I think it's a mixture of music, voice, and lyrics.

Music doesn't make me cry, but it can mess me up inside. None moreso than Hurt, the Johnny Cash cover.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o22eIJDtKho
Just listening to it.... It's FULL of appoggiaturas, pretty much one every eight beats. Plus it's in a minor key which I think automatically makes people sad.
Old 02-23-2012, 05:05 PM
Top Dog

Lizzybeth, a vast majority of the music I listen to has no words. I started playing piano when I was about 3 yrs old and when I was a tad older, started classical music. Well....classical, romantic, baroque etc...and have been loving it ever since. There are pieces that so powerfully cause great emotion in people who love music. Bach, Chopin...I love a piece by Grieg that I played in high school, Concerto in A minor. It is really beautiful and very moving. (that's just one that stands out) Bach wrote for church music. Bill Buckley said that Bach's music proves there's a God. I love that. (even though I don't believe in a personal God)

But anyhow, I was in a few small ensembles in high school and college. One was a madrigal group....all acepella, mostly from the Baroque era... (no instruments.) It was usually Latin and it was all about the voices, the cords, the moving parts, the resolutions. We sang on the radio up in B.C. That music was so beautiful and fun to sing. So, yeah....music doesn't have to have words at all to evoke strong emotion in many people.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 02-23-2012, 10:44 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doberluv View Post
I love a piece by Grieg that I played in high school, Concerto in A minor.
Oooh, I love that one too. "In the Hall of the Mountain King" must be one of the greatest pieces of all time.

I was a band geek, but I do remember playing pieces in high school that literally made me cry.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:33 AM
Top Dog

What did you play? My daughter was a band geek too...played clarinet and was very good. I wish she'd play more now. We played a Mozart duet for clarinet and piano. It was cool.

I probably won't get back to Chaz for a few days....going to my Mom's. But I'll try to remember to check back when I get back. (sometimes I forget to go back to a thread.) LOL.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 02-24-2012, 01:12 PM
Top Dog

I played clarinet too. I wasn't great but I'm pretty good at the theory, LOL.

I love Mozart, he features clarinets a lot. I'll have to look up that duet.