Vet was supposed to euthanize dog, rehomes it instead

Sweet72947

Squishy face
Yeah I'm glad the dog was able to live and stuff, but couldn't we figure out a way to HELP people keep their pets? And charging her a fee for euthanizing the dog? So he lied to the owner and obtained money for a service he didn't provide. Sounds like a very shady vet!

I think the woman is being very reasonable, she is letting the dog stay in her new home and only wants a refund for the euthanasia fee. And I suppose we can say this is another reason to STAY WITH YOUR PET when its being put down. You don't know what might happen to it otherwise!

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/story11/ODD-euthenized-dog-alive-022012

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
That's... nuts. I too am glad the dog survived, but holy crap, that's scary.

You're so right, it's just another reason to stay with your pets as they go. Beside the whole, you know, being there with them in their last moments so they can die with a minimum of stress and pain. (Sorry, I have no patience with people who "can't bear to be there". Tough it out. You're the human and your dog needs you. Grrr.)

Anyway, I wonder what exactly they had her sign that released her rights to the dog??? That seems like a weird thing to to put on form for euthanasia.

Dekka

Just try me..
That was a dirty thing the vet did.

I fostered a dog that had been brought in to be euthed. The dog was brought in to be put down due to snapping at children. The vet asked the owners if they could find a rescue to take the dog if the owners would surrender, vs put down the dog. The owners agreed. The vet did a full check up and shots before turning the dog over to the JRT rescue. The vet tech did the transport herself.

To me that is the right way to do it. Tell the owner there are options but remember that the pet is theirs.

(as an aside the JRT I mentioned was very fearful, but with some work he has made a fabulous pet for an older couple who's children have all grown up)

Dekka

Just try me..
You're so right, it's just another reason to stay with your pets as they go. Beside the whole, you know, being there with them in their last moments so they can die with a minimum of stress and pain. (Sorry, I have no patience with people who "can't bear to be there". Tough it out. You're the human and your dog needs you. Grrr.)
While I will always be there, I don't agree that its the best choice for everyone. IF you know you won't be able to hold it together its entirely possible that the owners extreme distress will be far more upsetting to the dog than the calm reassurances of the vet staff.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
That's why I can't be a vet, I'd have trouble not doing that to owners who just want to PTS for what I may deem a stupid reason. This however is bad.

Saeleofu

I fostered a dog that had been brought in to be euthed. The dog was brought in to be put down due to snapping at children. The vet asked the owners if they could find a rescue to take the dog if the owners would surrender, vs put down the dog. The owners agreed. The vet did a full check up and shots before turning the dog over to the JRT rescue. The vet tech did the transport herself.
Tango was brought in to be euthanized. After I offered to pay for amputation and to foster him, the vet went in and told the family their options. They chose to sign him over, and the rest is history. But if they had chosen to go ahead and euthanize him, that's what we would have done. Same sort of thing with my first foster, Ranchero - either euth or sign him over, and they chose to sign him over. It's stupid to tell someone they're putting your dog down and then turn around and do something else. If there are other options FREAKING TELL PEOPLE!

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
It's stupid to tell someone they're putting your dog down and then turn around and do something else. If there are other options FREAKING TELL PEOPLE!
That's kinda what I'm thinking. I'm sure some people would take the other options if they were given.

SaraB

We've rehomed a couple animals that the owners were unwilling to pay the medical fees for when the animal had a good chance at life with the medical care. However, we didn't tell the owners we were euthanizing, we wrote up specific paperwork saying they were surrendering the pet to us and we were rehoming them. Our clinic cat was obtained this way. Elderly cat that just needed a dental and a couple extractions, owners didn't want to pay for it and just wanted the cat euth'd so we had them surrender her to us. She's still happy and healthy to this day.

Yea being sneaky about it isn't good. If a vet wants to rehome an animal, they should be up front about it and respect the owner's wishes if they decline. It's not like the vet HAS to euthanize the pet if they disagree with the reason.

Kat09Tails

*Now with Snark*
I feel for the vet. I really do. I was working at a vet office a few years ago right before Thanksgiving. BTW the month of November has the highest euthanasia rates for dogs normally and you would not believe the excuses people come up with for euthanizing perfectly healthy normal dogs and cats. My personal disdain was for the guy who came in to euthanize his white cats because they had just purchased dark colored furniture that would be delivered the next week in time for Thanksgiving. No joke... not a behavior issue or a health problem. Poor cats were simply not matching the new furniture and there was simply too long of a wait for the humane society.

The vet offered to just take them. No, he wanted to know it was done. Evil *******. I gotta say, if I were the vet in the face of such stupidity I might resort to this. I probably would have checked for a chip though.

Here's the thing though if a owner wants a dog dead/gone it'll be dead/gone one way or another. The only thing a vet pretty much guarantees is a humane death but on the flip end of things for a vet seeing perfectly good life tossed into the incinerator has got to weigh on the soul.

Keep in mind according to the story this former owner doesn't want the dog back for peace of mind that the dog is in a better home, she wants a refund.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
While I will always be there, I don't agree that its the best choice for everyone. IF you know you won't be able to hold it together its entirely possible that the owners extreme distress will be far more upsetting to the dog than the calm reassurances of the vet staff.
This. Some people also just can't take the emotional distress, and if they were forced to be there, they would have killed themselves after. (speaking from knowing somebody in that situation) Not everybody who owns a pet is in a healthy enough state of mind for that distress. That said, I think if they can't be there, they should ask somebody else that is close to the pet to be there if they can.

I haven't looked at this link posted, but I had this one pop up on my facebook a few days ago: http://www.lifewithdogs.tv/2012/02/...inds-it-living-with-new-owner-4-months-later/

At the end of the video on that page, what angers ME the most about this whole thing is, they mention that she was also charged a "cremation fee"...So what on earth was she going to get back?! I don't know, with Maddy, she was driven to the vets, and PTS in the van, then driven back home and we burred her later that evening. It almost hurts me to think of when "that time" comes with Jinj, what am I going to do? I will be staying with him, but what am I going to do about the cremation, because I want to make FULL and SURE that I only get back HIM, and nothing else! We may just do another bury the dog in the backyard if I can't find some place satisfying enough. Yes, another upsetting twist in this story to think about.

Sweet72947

Squishy face
I feel for the vet. I really do. I was working at a vet office a few years ago right before Thanksgiving. BTW the month of November has the highest euthanasia rates for dogs normally and you would not believe the excuses people come up with for euthanizing perfectly healthy normal dogs and cats. My personal disdain was for the guy who came in to euthanize his white cats because they had just purchased dark colored furniture that would be delivered the next week in time for Thanksgiving. No joke... not a behavior issue or a health problem. Poor cats were simply not matching the new furniture and there was simply too long of a wait for the humane society.

The vet offered to just take them. No, he wanted to know it was done. Evil *******. I gotta say, if I were the vet in the face of such stupidity I might resort to this. I probably would have checked for a chip though.

Here's the thing though if a owner wants a dog dead/gone it'll be dead/gone one way or another. The only thing a vet pretty much guarantees is a humane death but on the flip end of things for a vet seeing perfectly good life tossed into the incinerator has got to weigh on the soul.

Keep in mind according to the story this former owner doesn't want the dog back for peace of mind that the dog is in a better home, she wants a refund.
If you read the article, it says that the dog was attacked by another dog and the vet told the owner that her only option was to PTS the dog because she couldn't afford the cost of the care. The owner didn't WANT to put the dog down in this situation. I think its good the owner is letting the dog stay in the home she's in now. The dog doesn't need to be moved all around. And darn straight I'd want a refund if I was charged for services that weren't rendered! I'd want it on PRINCIPLE.

Kat09Tails

*Now with Snark*
At the end of the video on that page, what angers ME the most about this whole thing is, they mention that she was also charged a "cremation fee"...So what on earth was she going to get back?! I don't know, with Maddy, she was driven to the vets, and PTS in the van, then driven back home and we burred her later that evening. It almost hurts me to think of when "that time" comes with Jinj, what am I going to do? I will be staying with him, but what am I going to do about the cremation, because I want to make FULL and SURE that I only get back HIM, and nothing else! We may just do another bury the dog in the backyard if I can't find some place satisfying enough. Yes, another upsetting twist in this story to think about.
Usually when you cremate animals there is a bulk bin of critters that are put in the crematorium/fire at the same time or fed in a few at a time usually largest animals first. Ashes from the lot are then stirred to break up clumps, then scooped and baggied for those requesting back ashes or disposed of usually to the landfill. If people pay more there is an individual cremation service available usually at most places. So just keep in mind if the day arrives and that is still what you want you need to ask for it.

Also a nifty fact is that cremation for animals in most places by law must be different facilities than cremation services for humans.

Kat09Tails

*Now with Snark*
If you read the article, it says that the dog was attacked by another dog and the vet told the owner that her only option was to PTS the dog because she couldn't afford the cost of the care. The owner didn't WANT to put the dog down in this situation. I think its good the owner is letting the dog stay in the home she's in now. The dog doesn't need to be moved all around. And darn straight I'd want a refund if I was charged for services that weren't rendered! I'd want it on PRINCIPLE.
I did read her half of the story. I just don't know the whole story. What we do know is she did sign over the dog. I don't see a receipt of services rendered, nor do I hear the vet's side of the story.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
Usually when you cremate animals there is a bulk bin of critters that are put in the crematorium/fire at the same time or fed in a few at a time usually largest animals first. Ashes from the lot are then stirred to break up clumps, then scooped and baggied for those requesting back ashes or disposed of usually to the landfill. If people pay more there is an individual cremation service available usually at most places. So just keep in mind if the day arrives and that is still what you want you need to ask for it.

Also a nifty fact is that cremation for animals in most places by law must be different facilities than cremation services for humans.
:confused: really? Here, if you want your pet's ashes back after cremation, they pay more for an individual cremation service. There's no choice to get the ashes back if you do a group cremation. Nor do they go to a landfill... the ashes get spread on land

Yes, I know places will do individuals for a higher fee, my problem is, I would like to be there, to see the equipment and make sure it is "clean" (as much as humanly possible) and that only my dog goes in and comes out, and is carefully "bagged" and given directly to me. I really hate the thought of either choice though, A) what if I am forced to move away? B)how will I know for sure it is my dog I'm getting back in full? C)I've thought hard about freeze-drying, but I know a lot of people find it creepy. I just want to know I can always have MY dogs with me, you know? And I know what happens to them, later. I can still point out to you where my mother's last cat is buried, he died in the 70's-80's.

Kat09Tails

*Now with Snark*
:confused: really? Here, if you want your pet's ashes back after cremation, they pay more for an individual cremation service. There's no choice to get the ashes back if you do a group cremation. Nor do they go to a landfill... the ashes get spread on land
Yep, landfill normally. Sometimes one of the big compost makers will a truckload or two if they're within shipping distance. One of my old friends from high school runs a cremation service (he has a facility for people and a separate facility for animals which cannot be rendered.)

JessLough

Love My Mutt
Yep, landfill normally. Sometimes one of the big compost makers will a truckload or two if they're within shipping distance. One of my old friends from high school runs a cremation service (he has a facility for people and a separate facility for animals which cannot be rendered.)
That's really weird, and I think if the ashes here went to the landfill, I'd take them back. Just seems mean to throw them out.

I've seen the farmland not far from here that they spread it on. It's a nice place, actually

Saeleofu

Here if you do mass cremation there is no option to get ashes back. The place we use for private cremation is EXCELLENT, very very caring, and I have no problems recommending them. Granted by the time one of mine go, I *hope* to be working at the zoo, and the vet at the zoo here personally cremates staff animals on request, and does an fantastic job of it. And in that case I could view the cremation area myself before it happens, make sure it's clean, etc.

Members online

No members online now.