Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 02-21-2012, 01:38 PM
Top Dog

Unhappy Faulty street lights electrocuting dogs

http://www.seattledogspot.com/blog/t...-electrocuted/

Smkie and I were talking about things to be cautious of when out on a walk when in more urban areas or really...anywhere. This is one thing that came up. I remember reading about some of these cases (in the link) and being horrified that something like that is so prevalent. It's horrible enough that dogs have been killed, but suppose a child gets killed. Why are these things even allowed to exist without prior inspection? It's outrageous!
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 02-21-2012, 04:37 PM
such sights to show you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doberluv View Post
Why are these things even allowed to exist without prior inspection? It's outrageous!
Because regulation is bad.

Old 02-21-2012, 05:09 PM
Arbitrary and Capricious

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
Because regulation is bad.
Pretty much. If the street lights belong to the city, then its probably due to a lack of funds, perhaps due to the constant pressure to lower tax rates and provide more services. If they belong to a utility, as they seem to here, then its likely due to unenforced regulations.

Although the issue of regulation is complex, it endlessly amazes me that people rant and rave about regulation . . . and then ask . . . well, how could THAT have happened? Why isn't X inspected?

Inspections are . . . a regulation.

The Court's extensive review of these pages serves as a useful reminder that loaded guns, sharp objects and law degrees should be kept out of the reach of children.

-- United States Magistrate Judge Paul Cleary

Laughing Shadows Bead & Design: http://www.laughingshadows.com
Old 02-21-2012, 05:27 PM
*Now with Snark*

They are inspected, they are regulated but there are a few issues going on. I know Seattle spent a ton of money checking each and every one after that dog died.

First off - crappier parts are being used now thanks to copper thieves. These thieves don't really know enough to put things back in a safe way even if they don't find the copper/brass they're looking for.

Scale. I mean seriously look around sometime at all of the public hardware out there. Inspecting every post every day is impossible, inspecting a post once a year in some cities is just not allowable with the numbers of fixtures in a city when all it takes is an idiot with a pair of tin snips and a screwdriver to make a post unsafe in fifteen minutes.

You want to stop dangerous fixtures? Make it serious jail time to be in possession of public scrap metal and create a bounty to turn in A-holes that steal this stuff.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:44 PM
Arbitrary and Capricious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat09Tails View Post
They are inspected, they are regulated but there are a few issues going on. I know Seattle spent a ton of money checking each and every one after that dog died.

First off - crappier parts are being used now thanks to copper thieves. These thieves don't really know enough to put things back in a safe way even if they don't find the copper/brass they're looking for.

Scale. I mean seriously look around sometime at all of the public hardware out there. Inspecting every post every day is impossible, inspecting a post once a year in some cities is just not allowable with the numbers of fixtures in a city when all it takes is an idiot with a pair of tin snips and a screwdriver to make a post unsafe in fifteen minutes.

You want to stop dangerous fixtures? Make it serious jail time to be in possession of public scrap metal and create a bounty to turn in A-holes that steal this stuff.
Well, that at least explains it. But what is with Seattle's posts? Do I not get out enough, because I've not heard of dogs getting electrocuted anywhere else. Is there some design flaw?

I sympathize with the copper theft though . . . its a huge issue for utilities.

Of course, some states have decided to pretty much make it impossible to buy and sell scrap metal as a response. Which is a good example of bad regulation.

The Court's extensive review of these pages serves as a useful reminder that loaded guns, sharp objects and law degrees should be kept out of the reach of children.

-- United States Magistrate Judge Paul Cleary

Laughing Shadows Bead & Design: http://www.laughingshadows.com