Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Rescue Forum

Old 02-16-2012, 02:45 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

Alrighty, yesterday I wrote a crabby response, slept it, and did a re-write this morning that's much friendlier. Meanwhile, they've been calling me and posting on my facebook. *SIGH*

Here's what I've got so far, names taken out for everyone's sake:
Quote:
Hi xxxx,

Sorry I took my time, but I needed to think about some concerns of mine. The first is that I wasnít made aware of any of these terms initially, and did not agree to them either in signature or verbally regarding signing the dogs over to XXX. There are several reasons why that may not be a practical solution for me.

Please donít think that I donít trust the rescue to place them. Itís not that at all. However, understand that they are here on borrowed time, and that, sadly, there may come a time when I simply absolutely cannot keep them, at which point they would have to go to Animal Control. Obviously this is an absolute last resort, but as Iíve promised my landlords that Iíll get them out ASAP, and as Iím solely responsible for feeding, housing, and caring for them, I canít allow another organization control or approval of how or when they leave. If XXX were able to take them into foster care, youíd be free to do whatever you to needed regarding paperwork. Had I been informed that this what a part of the terms of their receiving veterinary care through XYZ, I would have probably sought a different route, for these reasons.

I have gathered support from several friends and family members who have donated money to pay for their vet care. I think it would be best if I reimbursed XYZ for their vet care from 2/14 and went on to re-home them independently, unless XXX can provide foster homes in the very near future. Iíll just need an invoice on [VET NAME]ís letterhead and Iíll send a check to XYZ. Iím XYZ gets a discount as a non-profit and Iím happy to pay whatever the average person does. Consider the extra a donation.

Old 02-16-2012, 02:47 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

Meanwhile, they've posted on Facebook that the dogs are in a foster home... *facepalm*

Old 02-16-2012, 03:00 PM
*Now with Snark*

Wonderful ....
Old 02-16-2012, 03:13 PM
Like a bat outa' hell

I think that email sounds really good and well layed out.

And Man alive, Gesh. Just wow!

Teagan Westhighland White Terrier
Panzer South African Boerboel Mastiff
Old 02-16-2012, 03:50 PM
Top Dog

Good email, very professional while still being clear about your concerns. Crossing fingers that it will work out!
Old 02-17-2012, 03:22 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

Interestingly, on the vet care foundation's website it says they provide vet care not just for rescues or shelters, but "individuals". Their words, not mine. Significant, considering the wording was that "because XXX is taking responsibility, they will have to be a part of XYZ's program." hhhmmm, that's not what I read...

Old 02-17-2012, 04:05 PM
*Now with Snark*

Are they seriously giving you grief about this?
Old 02-18-2012, 12:39 PM
Top Dog

I'd do as you've done. It seems this isn't uncommon. We have a sanctuary on the edge of town..the owner takes in animals that are special needs, etc and cares for them. They aren't adopted out. A few years ago, the clinic I work at had a dog come in from animal control, most likely hit by a car. (road rash, badly broken leg) We had to amputate the leg, but he was a very happy and sound dog. The clinic, apparently feeling that no one would want a Rottie with three legs, sent him to the sanctuary. While I feel there is no reason he couldn't be in an individual home, he is well cared for. However, the sanctuary owner tells all people that he was a poor, abused bait dog. (because he's wary of strange dogs, you know) This dog was likely not abused at all and certainly was not a bait dog.
Old 02-18-2012, 04:29 PM
Top Dog

I don't know all the background, but from what I've read and what you wrote. I would add something else.

I would ask them to retract what they've been saying about the dogs on FB including the vet care cost which in my opinion is being dishonest saying it costs almost 2000 bucks??

IF they don't retract it, I would get the 'truth' out there.

I don't mind donating to a cause, but the fact they are 'glorifying' things for their own benefit NOT these two dogs, would really tick me off. The "xtra" is going into their rescue I presume, and I would want to KNOW that if making a donation.

Sorry they sound pretty shady to me
Old 02-21-2012, 09:05 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jynx View Post
I don't know all the background, but from what I've read and what you wrote. I would add something else.

I would ask them to retract what they've been saying about the dogs on FB including the vet care cost which in my opinion is being dishonest saying it costs almost 2000 bucks??

IF they don't retract it, I would get the 'truth' out there.

I don't mind donating to a cause, but the fact they are 'glorifying' things for their own benefit NOT these two dogs, would really tick me off. The "xtra" is going into their rescue I presume, and I would want to KNOW that if making a donation.

Sorry they sound pretty shady to me

This^^^ I agree 100%
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson