Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 02-17-2012, 04:51 PM
<------RIP Superdog

Absolutely Not!!! Most people dont have insurance for their pet, and there are no "low income" programs to help people with vet care like there is for human medicine. When I look at my hospital/doctor fees I get Shocked when someone is going to complain about vet fees! Alot of people have never been without health insurance or had to pay out of pocket for things. When you have, you realize how expensive things are. Vets are so cheap in compairison. People shouldnt expect to get their animal care for free or less then 100$. Vets are a "jack of all trades" too. When was the last time your GP doctor did surgery or dental work? Sorry but its a real soapbox for me when people complain about the cost of vets. Suppliers and drug companies dont give them all their stuff for free. Taxes dont get waved, electrical bills dont get waved, etc just because we heal animals.
Old 02-17-2012, 06:09 PM
overdogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigpoodleperson View Post
Alot of people have never been without health insurance or had to pay out of pocket for things. When you have, you realize how expensive things are.
I think that's a big part of it. I hear constantly "I don't pay this much to see the doctor myself." Uh, you would if you didn't have insurance!
and Bean FDCh-S
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 02-17-2012, 06:35 PM
Jelly baby?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigpoodleperson View Post
Absolutely Not!!! Most people dont have insurance for their pet, and there are no "low income" programs to help people with vet care like there is for human medicine. When I look at my hospital/doctor fees I get Shocked when someone is going to complain about vet fees! Alot of people have never been without health insurance or had to pay out of pocket for things. When you have, you realize how expensive things are. Vets are so cheap in compairison. People shouldnt expect to get their animal care for free or less then 100$. Vets are a "jack of all trades" too. When was the last time your GP doctor did surgery or dental work? Sorry but its a real soapbox for me when people complain about the cost of vets. Suppliers and drug companies dont give them all their stuff for free. Taxes dont get waved, electrical bills dont get waved, etc just because we heal animals.

Vortex Canine - Custom Harnesses and Leashes

"Never cruel nor cowardly. Never give up. Never give in."
~The Doctor
Old 02-17-2012, 08:28 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SizzleDog View Post
What I find hard to stomach is the office fees. It shouldn't be $30-$40 to walk in the door - especially when all that pays for is the use of a scale (which I operate and read off the weight) and maybe a temperature reading.
Actually, that fee pays for all the scales, pays the electricity bill and other bills, pays the salaries of all the vet techs, vet assistants, and/or office management personnel, malpractice insurance, liability insurance, and for all the other "goodies" that vet clinics like to have.

Vet fees vary greatly on the area in which one lives as well as whether that vet owns his/her own practice or whether he/she is a part of a large clinic with other vets.

That's the great thing about owning a dog and needing a vet. You can pick and chose whomever you'd like.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:31 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy's Valkyrie View Post
Well, all I can say is that the E-vet we took Tango to was $90 to walk in the door (at nearly midnight) and the entire visit plus three meds to take home, an E-collar, and an antibiotic shot at the vet was less then $300. I will be more than happy to use them again if I have to.
A good example of how a $90 office charge enables a clinic to keep it's doors open between typical clinc hourse, how they can pay to have a vet in-house during those hourse, how they can pay to have the other staff there, and how they can pay their bills to continue to keep it open.

I think people equate a $150 vet bill as the vet gladly cashing and keeping that $150 check. That is NOT how it goes.